Page 1 of 3
-listen to?
-play?
-write?

There's a lot of talk here about things like scales jazz chords and stuff but I feel like nobody here really knows anybody and I thought it might be interesting to hear what kind of music people actually like rather than what they have to or have had to study, teach, play professionally, etc.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
-listen to?
only my record collection:
Baroque and Classical
Jazz from the 50's 
Wide range mid 60s to mid 70s

-play?
Jazz, Rock, Blues, R&B, old popular standards

-write?
Jazz
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Listen?

I am currently listening to Kamasi Washington because spotify played it at random after I had listened to a finnish jazz group. So I do "really" listen to jazz. Some other favorites include Bill Evans, Charles Mingus, Wayne Shorter, good ol' Coltrane, and some newer stuff like Verneri Pohjola, Christian Scott (still not sure if I actually like him or not though), Yazz Ahmed, Robert Glasper and a couple of other new artists that show up in my spotify but whom I can't recall at the moment. As a side note, I don't generally enjoy electric guitar driven jazz.

I also like funk and soul, stuff like Kool & the Gang, Earth Wind & Fire, Tower of Power of course, Marvin Gaye etc. along with more modern acts like Jamiroquai, Thundercat, Vulfpeck, Childish Gambino etc. speaking of Donald Glover, I've recently started listening to hip-hop and I'm really enjoying stuff like Frank Ocean, Anderson .Paak and Chance the Rapper but I can't say I'm an expert in that.

I have a long history with metal music, and nowadays I mostly listen to extreme metal on that front. Death, Atheist, Disembowelment, Esoteric, Timeghoul, Dark Millennium, Cenotaph, Voivod, Vektor, Thorns, Sigh, Ved Buens Ende and Suhnopfer are some acts I've listened to lately. I've also always liked proggy stuff, I really appreciate Devin Townsend and Steven Wilson, earlier Opeth, David Bowie, Bent Knee, stuff like that. I guess that sums up the "listen" part pretty well, but I listen to other stuff a lot as well ofc. I've started listening to classical music more, to the point that I can actually name some favorite composers (Mahler and Dvorak have caught my attention a lot). I like some pop like Bruno Mars and Sia. I don't know nearly as much about electronic music as I'd like to.

Play?

Well, I play mostly electric and acoustic bass, on the electric I focus most on funk and fusion, on the acoustic more on jazz. If I think of artists that I've tried to learn lately, say during the past two weeks, Jamiroquai, Tower of Power, Coltrane and Chet Baker come to mind. So I guess stuff like that. I like dabbling around with a steel string acoustic, I mostly like playing Porcupine Tree/acoustic Opeth kind of stuff on that.

Write?

Very much the same as the above. I like programming electronic drumbeats and coming up with funky basslines on top of that. I sometimes write jazz chord progressions on the guitar and "improvise" on top of them. On the acoustic, I try to write some kind of pop/folk (?) stuff every now and then. I kind of suck at writing vocal melodies but I think I've started improving on that since I started focusing more on my own voice, as well as melodic phrasing.

If I think of the kind of stuff I'd actually want to release, I'd say I try to write modern jazz and soul music. That's the kind of stuff I'd love to play.

I have some cool black metal compositions on the back of my mind as well, and I'm still toying around with the idea that I'll release a lo-fi, independent black metal album someday  
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
-listen to?
i don't listen to a ton of music. even my favorite artists i've missed an album or two because i'm bad at keeping up with things and mostly listen to music via CD when i'm driving. i've been digging on ryo fukui and moondog, but it's hard to find good old jazz CDs that aren't hit-or-miss.

most of my collection is elliott smith, aesop rock, death grips, tom waits, bowie, and alan parsons CDs. i also have some local CDs and mixtapes (with stuff like bobby vinton and roy orbison), as well as some zappa and primus albums. occasional listens are animals as leaders, .clipping, busdriver and bonobo, then some other one-off CDs that don't come to mind immediately

i don't play or write music. i suck and buying expensive instruments is just a way for me to lash out against my crippling anxiety
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Kevätuhri
I have some cool black metal compositions on the back of my mind as well, and I'm still toying around with the idea that I'll release a lo-fi, independent black metal album someday  

I did this. Each song was recorded live to tape, music and vocals and they same time, and music and lyrics made up on the spot. I released two EPs in very limited copies (3 copies of the first, and I only have 002) and no copies of the second plus a single copy of a compilation containing the two EPs plus bonus tracks. I'm considering making more copies to sell because people love buying limited addition crappy black metal albums.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
-listen to?

All kinds of stuff: metal, rock, punk, jazz, new wave, funk, surf/spy, symphony, blues, chamber music, electronics, Latino, disco, bagpipes, djent, Native American traditional, middle eastern, a few C&W artists...

-play?

Mostly jazz/rock/metal variants. Surf guitar is pretty big for me, I suppose.

-write?

See above.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Listen to?  Just about everything.  Right now I've been revisiting the sleep discography.  Hank Sr. is usually on regular rotation as well.
Play?  Doom, D-Beat.  
Write? Doom, D-Beat.

I have only ever learned 4 cover songs.  I've forgotten 3 of them  Outside of learning a few riffs here and there, I typically have no interest in playing another persons music.  So what I play is what I write, and vise-versa.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
I listen to a wide variety of music. My personal favorites for personal listening pleasure  like almost everyone I imagine, is listening to the music that I listened to when I was young in and in my teens and 20's and that would be the late 60'-70's era. That being said I also love old school metal (Priest, Maiden, Scorpions etc.). My concert attendance also says a lot. I go to probably one show a month on average. I just happen to live in an area where I can be in a dozen different major concert locations in easily less than an hour. I tend to like smaller concert halls and not big arenas and definitely no stadium or festival shows where you have to watch screens to see what is happening. My taste varies. As an example I just saw Mr. Big with Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan two weeks ago and I have tickets for Iron maiden next month and just bought tickets to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra at the end of July. I love it all.

As far a playing music on gigs it can be almost anything. I love to perform so I take any opportunity to play live. While I prefer to go out and play classic rock or vocal oriented (lots of harmony) type material, I will do light jazz and dinner music if it comes up. As long as I can work with good musicians and singers, I'm there. I don't mind being the weakest link on stage. That's how you improve.

I try to create very melodic songs. Very few are riff driven. I write lyrics by using the old adage "create in haste then edit at leisure". I constantly go back and tweak them over a period of time. I like to create songs that tell some kind of story, something with a beginning, a theme and an end. I want the listener to follow the story line and be interested all the way through. That may be my Roy Orbison influence. Roy Orbison never (or almost never) repeated a verse. His songs have a story to tell. They have that beginning, theme and ending I was referring to. To me the best songs all do.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 21, 2017,
-Listen to?

Anything; Blues, Folk, Country, Heavy Metal, Extreme Metal, Classic Rock, Punk, blah blah blah.

-Play?

Mostly Heavy Metal, Black Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Alternative Rock, Blues and Punk.

-Write?

Usually experimental stuff or epic/melodic metal.
How does this thing Works ??!?!

Quote by theogonia777  people love buying limited addition crappy black metal albums.

lol I know, I had a coworker once who bought some average black metal vinyl for about 200$ and was super butthurt when the case had a dent. And 200$ is cheap for a collectors vinyl as far as I know.
Quote by Hail i don't play or write music. i suck and buying expensive instruments is just a way for me to lash out against my crippling anxiety

Beats collecting stamps or candy wrappers or other dumb stuff like that.
Quote by Necroheadbanger
-Listen to?

Anything; Blues, Folk, Country, Heavy Metal, Extreme Metal, Classic Rock, Punk, blah blah blah.

There's like 3 different genres there that actually differ enough to even bother mentioning them separately when talking about taste, that's hardly "anything"
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I listen to a wide variety of music: classic rock, indie rock, alternative rock, garage rock, grunge, some hard rock, a little bit of punk, a little bit of blues, a little bit of metal (but only the kind where they sing and not that screamo death metal shit), etc.

That's always the best.
Quote by theogonia777
(...that screamo death metal shit), etc.

What did you said of death metal? ._.
How does this thing Works ??!?!
Quote by Necroheadbanger
What did you said of death metal? ._.

That's what typical dad rock listeners use as an umbrella term for metal and hardcore that they don't like and don't understand without realizing how radically different crust, black metal, funeral doom, power violence, tech death, etc can be. Meanwhile they would be about as likely to recognize actual screamo as Stevie Wonder would be to pick Ronald McDonald apart from Bozo.

Just like how people say "this techno shit isn't real music" when it's clearly jungle, which doesn't sound at all like techno.
Right now I don't spend much time listening to music for the sake of listening to it, though I have lately got interested in jazz. But a lot of the music I listen to has to do with my studies. I guess when I'm surrounded by music all the time, I also need some time without music and that's why I don't listen to much music during my free time.

I have different kinds of phases, and usually during those phases I listen to a couple of artists pretty much exclusively. Some time ago that artist was Vulfpeck. But I have had my Stevie Wonder, Steve Vai, Led Zeppelin, 80s hard rock, Dream Theater and Metallica phases. (I used to listen to a lot of hard rock and that used to be "my thing", but I guess I have kind of grown out of it.)

On trumpet I mostly play music related to my studies (mostly classical) and I play in two bands (not related to my studies) - a big band and a wind band. On bass I usually play "funky" stuff (Chic, Duran Duran, Vulfpeck). I don't play much guitar at the moment, and if I do, I usually just noodle around. On drums I mostly noodle around (I usually don't practice anything special - maybe a fill or a beat that I have in my head, but usually not any specific songs), and I'm the drummer of a brass band.

The stuff I have written most recently has been part of my studies (classical). My latest compositions were a fanfare for five brass instruments (that won a fanfare composition contest) and an instrumental piece that has some jazz and classical elements in it. My friend and I write music together (mostly rock). I also reharmonize hymns, folk songs and pop songs with jazz/gospel style harmonies for fun.

TL;DR

Answer to everyting:
Rock, funk, classical, jazz.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 22, 2017,
Listen to- I tend to listen to prog rock/metal, or jazz fusion stuff. Recently ive been getting more into pop and funk music with bands like vulfpeck. But i like anything from Cannibal Corpse to Kendrick Lamar and Duke Ellington.

Play - I play jazz in a duo. And i like to play metal and fusion stuff recently.

Write - Instrumental Prog Rock, Ambient music.
I guess I never actually answered my own questions.

-In terms of what I listen to, I am very flavor-of-the week. Recently I have been on a kick of radical Irish music that’s all about killing the English. Otherwise I like a lot of old honky-tonk country and 60s and 70s bluegrass. I listen to metal, primarily viking and funeral doom. I like a lot of traditional folk music and contemporary music from countries you probably can't locate on a map (assuming you have even heard of them). I particularly like Mongolian, Malian, Arabic, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Kyrgyz music (but the music from any of those "-stan" countries in the middle of Asia is real neat). I like a lot of "golden age" hip-hop but I'm definitely more into the New York scene than the Cali scene. Kool Keith is my favorite rapper and I might potentially get him on one of my tracks. I like acid house, tech-trance, and old UK jungle. I don't really know many producers by name.

-For fun I mostly play bluegrass banjo, pedal steel, and Irish music on tenor banjo and fiddle. I play in a band that does Americana stuff. I will probably end up playing fiddle and bass on the demos we're doing this summer. Got a lot of interest in that project from some famous musicians that you probably don't know but they are respected and influential in their circles. Apart from that I do a lot of noodly ambient music that is generally at least 75% aleatoric and varies from improvised synth or guitar pieces making heavy use of effects, looping, and very long delays to noise music made from running a microphone through a distortion pedal, running the pedal into a PA speaker (which is miked to record), putting a box in front of the speaker, putting the mic hooked to the PA under the box, and then hitting the box with a hammer and shouting obscenities into the box.

-Apart from the above mentioned Americana thing I don't write much these days. I produce hip-hop beats and I am currently writing songs to pitch to Ziggy Marley and Marc Anthony (know them through friends). They probably won't end up using them.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
All kinds of stuff: metal, rock, punk, jazz, new wave, funk, surf/spy, symphony, blues, chamber music, electronics, Latino, disco, bagpipes, djent, Native American traditional, middle eastern, a few C&W artists...

Mostly jazz/rock/metal variants. Surf guitar is pretty big for me, I suppose.

See above.

Add various forms of shoegaze to my play/compose list.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

yo danny, are you into reverend horton heat at all? i saw them live a few months back and they definitely hit a chord in my heart for rockabilly/psychobilly/surf
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I listen to pretty much everything except rap, drum and bass,  and modern country pop.  Mostly I listen to trad jazz,  50's and 60's soul, classic country, folk , classic blues (stuff like skip james)  and 90's alternative like tool or the Deaftones.  My all time favorite artists is a guy called Stuart Davis who plays a sort of pop/folk. 
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I listen to pretty much everything except rap, drum and bass,  and modern country pop 

lemme see if i can help narrow that list down

Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I listen to pretty much everything except rap, drum and bass,  and modern country pop.

What about jungle and instrumental hip-hop?
Quote by Hail
yo danny, are you into reverend horton heat at all? i saw them live a few months back and they definitely hit a chord in my heart for rockabilly/psychobilly/surf

Oh yeah- "Liquor in the front (poker in the rear)" is a classic! "Martini Time", too.

See also The Cramps, Laika & the Cosmonauts, Man or Astroman, Imelda May, Katmen, etc...

Quote by theogonia777

i'm game.

Catty Ranks "Limb By Limb" original dancehall version

...and Jungle remix

Dr. Octagon "Earth People"

....and instrumental

DJ Shadow "Drums of Death"

DJ Spooky That Subliminal Kid "Dumb Mutha Fucka"

Listen to - Everything but country and rap. Mostly Prog

Play - Prog or anything I think will improve my writing

Write - Prog

Prog
tfw they start with "i listen to everything but..."
Quote by theogonia777
tfw they start with "i listen to everything but..."

It just seems like doing it the other way would take really long.

That's what she said
There are more types of music out there that you have never heard of than styles that you have most likely. What do you think of jùjú or marabi or semba for example?
Quote by Hail
lemme see if i can help narrow that list down

I would call that hip hop which is more musical that rap IMO.  I could listen to that but wouldn't go out of my way.
Quote by theogonia777

I was a drummer before I was a guitar player so I love most music with complex drum beats so there is a lot of jungle music I like and a little I don't.  Some of the more complex instrumental hip hop is good but the stuff that is just 4 bars stuck on repeat I don't like.  I don't like most music from most genres but I like a little from most genres that I have come across.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I would call that hip hop which is more musical that rap IMO.

Do you even know the difference?

I was a drummer before I was a guitar player so I love most music with complex drum beats so there is a lot of jungle music I like and a little I don't.

You like complex drum beats but you don't like drum and bass?
Quote by theogonia777
Do you even know the difference?

You like complex drum beats but you don't like drum and bass?

Technically hip hop is lyrically more upbeat but the two genres bleed together.   It's is about looking to a better future, get out and dance, it's time to party, or it's time to love up on each other....  Rap is more pessimistic and often about violence or drug culture.  That particular song was something that is a bit more negative by an artists that is often thought of as a hip hop so some would say it is rap while others would say it's hip hop.  I find that rap tends to be a lot less musical even though that is not part of the technical definition of rap.  You asked for opinions and I gave you mine.  Why the hostility?

Drum and bass rarely has complex syncopated drum beats.  It is almost always programed or quantized so it loses it's nuance and complexity.  Again that is my oppinion.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 23, 2017,
Quote by CorduroyEW
Technically hip hop is lyrically more upbeat but the two genres bleed together.   It's is about looking to a better future, get out and dance, it's time to party, or it's time to love up on each other....  Rap is more pessimistic and often about violence or drug culture.  That particular song was something that is a bit more negative by an artists that is often thought of as a hip hop so some would say it is rap while others would say it's hip hop.

hip hop is nonthreatening to whites while rap is separate so you know who the "thugs" are, got it, good stuff
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Technically hip hop is lyrically more upbeat but the two genres bleed together.   It's is about looking to a better future, get out and dance, it's time to party, or it's time to love up on each other....  Rap is more pessimistic and often about violence or drug culture.

This is completely incorrect.

Drum and bass rarely has complex syncopated drum beats.

This is incorrect as well. In fact, complex syncopated break beats are one of the major characteristics of drum and bass. Are you sure that what you listened was actually drum and bass?

Quote by Hail

Really the only psychobilly band I like othe than the Nekromantix. I feel like psychobilly is something that I want to like and on paper it is something I should like but almost any band that I listen to tends to disappoint. It's one of those things where I know in my head how good it could potentially sound but then most of the bands I listen to just sound really weak.
Quote by theogonia777

Really the only psychobilly band I like othe than the Nekromantix. I feel like psychobilly is something that I want to like and on paper it is something I should like but almost any band that I listen to tends to disappoint. It's one of those things where I know in my head how good it could potentially sound but then most of the bands I listen to just sound really weak.

i feel like it's one of those genres that's just significantly more interesting live. same way i feel about most punk

fortunately, RHH is from dallas so they play around here fairly regularly, which is cool if i wanna see somebody doing a surf guitar solo while standing on a sideways double bass (while it's still being played) again

speaking of, i don't really care to write or compose music nowadays, aside from the occasional twinge of regret that i haven't been recording any solo stuff, but damn if i don't wanna get together a proggy punky 3 piece
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Hail
You're in D/FW? So am I!

Most of my favorite music bars and venues are gone, alas. I see big acts or multi-artist shows/tours every year, but haven't seen a local band in years.

dannyalcatraz I guess it's the other way around here. There are always cool local bands to see live, but I've never seen an international band live in my home town. Every big act either throws a gig at our capital or at a big festival somewhere.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
I'm certain there are great bands to be seen, here, but the venues? Not so much. By which I mean that I haven't found new music/band friendly bars to replace the ones that have become strip clubs.

Quote by theogonia777
This is completely incorrect. 

I decided to google the definitions of hip hop and rap

Rap, a type of popular music of US black origin in which words are recited rapidly and rhythmically over an instrumental backing

Hip Hop,  a style of popular music of US black and Hispanic origin, featuring rap with an electronic backing.

I then googled "difference between hip hop and rap" to which the 1st several pages all said that it is widely debated but most pretty much said what I said in my post.  The top article said I was incorrect in my interpretation of the two genres but also illuded to the fact that there are hip hop artist and rap artists that believe hip hop is a more upbeat than rap.  They specifically cited Flavor Flav as saying "Right now, a lot of rap music today is being created at very low tempos. There's no more of that 'wave your hands in the air like you just don't care' – you know, something that makes you wanna get out there and breakdance…"
I'd like to hear what input you can give on the subject other than that there is something wrong with my opinions.  You said I was incorrect but offered no clarification.  Even if I was not 100% correct, I don't think you are right to say I'm "completely incorrect."
Quote by theogonia777

This is incorrect as well.  In fact, complex syncopated break beats are one of the major characteristics of drum and bass.  Are you sure that what you listened was actually drum and bass?

Most drums and bass music I have been exposed to doesn't use drumming that I would consider to be complex or nuanced.  It is heavily quantized and pretty simply to play if you are accustomed to playing quickly.  My exposure to it has been primarily me being front of house sound engineer at various venues  in Portland Oregon, London England, and all over Wales.  The artists called themselves drum and bass and I had no reason to doubt it but I still went to google and searched "syncopated drum and bass" when you told me I was wrong.   I only found 1 result with drum and bass in the 1st 10 pages so I decided to search simply search drum and bass instead.  I found nothing to change my mind.  Strip away the heavily quantized stuff programmed on a computer and you were left with a lot of stuff that is easy to play on the drums.  There were a few exception but I allowed for a few exceptions by using the term rarely.  If you can give me some examples of complex, nuanced drumming (not programming or tracking) in drum and bass perhaps my opinion of it can be swayed but so far all you have done is tell me I'm wrong with no real explanation as to why.  I have not been able to find anything to tell me you are correct but just because I couldn't find it doesn't mean it's not out there.  Give me some direction.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 24, 2017,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'm certain there are great bands to be seen, here, but the venues?  Not so much.  By which I mean that I haven't found new music/band friendly bars to replace the ones that have become strip clubs.

Good point, we have a couple of nice venues, but the nicer ones rarely attract big bands, just singer-songwriter stuff and folk I guess. We have a couple of nice jazz clubs though.
Quote by CorduroyEW  I still went to google and searched "syncopated drum and bass" when you told me I was wrong.   I only found 1 result with drum and bass in the 1st 10 pages so I decided to search simply search drum and bass instead.  I found nothing to change my mind.

To be fair, if I google "good metal music" the first 5 pages are bound to be complete crap. Same goes for a lot of other genres.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Page 1 of 3