So today during practice, I knelt down to plug in my pedals (I always unplug them because they run on battery and consume power while the input cable is in). While doing so, the guitar strap slid off the strap pin, and my guitar fell. It wasn't that much, two inches at most, but the headstock hit the floor with a nice thump.

The neck and the headstock seem fine, not damaged, but now, there's a huge crack in the neck finish. It's about as big as my thumb and goes 2 to 3 millimetres deep, all the way to the wood. And I have no idea what to do about it. The way the finish is cracked, I'm pretty sure that if I keep using it like that, sooner or later, the finish of the entire neck will fall off as the cracks will spread. I thought about using masking tape to keep it from cracking further as a quick-fix (I think duct tape  or gaffer tape would take the rest of the finish with it when removed), and taking it off and painting the injured part again on the weekend, multiple times, until it's repaired. Other than that, I have no idea. The guitar is an SG copy, that means set neck, and I can't afford a new guitar or a professional repair.

I'd be immensely grateful for any helpful tips. No matter what, I need the guitar tomorrow.

Greetings,

HashtagMC
The finish won't just fall off so that's the good news. That is a big gouge though. Tape not a really good idea as it will make the neck hard to play
Best bet is remove loose paint.. and patch the area with similar type of paint, it's slow process.. use thin coat... let dry... apply another coat... let dry... another coat.. let dry.. until the finish is about even.. wet sand with 1000 grit / 2000 grit sandpaper.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
This is why straplocks are a thing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Guess who's been broke for about half a year? And by broke I mean literally five bucks a month, having to buy a new set of bass strings, and having to buy four(!) new high e strings until I noticed the bridge saddle had a rough edge that was constantly tearing the strings. Plus a compressor pedal.

In other words, straplocks have been on my to-do list for a while but never on top of it. Though, I think they just move up a dozen spots.
Clean it up first, as suggested by psp742. If it is black, you can make some black filler by mixing tempera (powder) paint or concrete dye with slow-setting epoxy. I've done similar repairs to that by that method. You have to be careful because the mix is slightly thixotropic, and while it might appear stiff, it will tend to flow over time. You could also use black superglue and build it up slowly:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Glues_and_Adhesives/Glues/StewMac_Super_Glues/StewMac_Tinted_Super_Glue.html
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This is why straplocks are a thing.

+1

Quote by HashtagMC
In other words, straplocks have been on my to-do list for a while but never on top of it. Though, I think they just move up a dozen spots.

+1.

get the loose chunk off, then just seal it up with some nail polish. obviously it won't change the depth, but it will be sealed.

also FYI there are some very cheap strap lock alternatives. from a washer to a grolsch beer tab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 on psp742's post. That's a solid approach to it.

Me, I would more than likely just leave it and / or put a thin coat of clear nail polish on there if I was concerned with chip expansion. 
Until you can do a more extensive repair, I agree with getting a cheap black (or clear) nail polish. Lightly sand the spot carefully just enough to remove any loose pieces then clean the area with a damp (not wet, just damp) cloth. Let it dry completely. Put on a thin coat of nail polish. Do it lightly and let it dry for awhile then over a period of time keep adding another thin layer. The thing to remember is that each coat needs time to dry thoroughly or it won't work well. Good luck. 
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 24, 2017,