Is your identity as a person in any way tied to your taste in music?

Poll: Poll
Poll Options
View poll results: Poll
Yes
23 58%
No
17 43%
Voters: 40.
Page 1 of 2
I've always liked rock music, even when I was still in primary school I loved hard rock of the 60's and 70's deep purple, led zeppelin etc. When I was about 13 or so I decided to grow my hair out a bit, one of my friends had already started to do the same. To be fair it was kind of in fashion at the time although not greatly. When other people my age would wear track suits (i grew up in a chavvy area) or whatever was in fashion, I would wear bootcut jeans and long sleeve t shirts, with canvas trainers. I looked like I could have belonged in the 1970's. My look and my identity was strongly associated, in my mind, with the kind of music I would listen to. As I grew older my music tastes changed somewhat. I was introduced to electronic music and started listening more to pop music of the time. My identity became confused and so did I. It dawned on me that it was rather a bit silly to base so much of your personality, your general ethos on something so fleeting as music. But nonetheless I see other people who, seem to me, to have an identity intertwined with their taste in music or art or cinema or culture. And I wonder is this for the benefit or the detriment of the person's psyche.
No, but my personality definitely is tied to my taste in music.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Couldnt say, I dont know who I am
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by zgr0826

can you elaborate? 
Quote by kalypto
can you elaborate? 

My personality has always gravitated towards dark themes and the grandiose. I also like repetition and variations of that repetition. As such, stuff like stoner rock, metal, and certain types EDM have always appealed to me. 
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by zgr0826

yeah I said yes in the poll before I really got the question. I think the kind of music you like says a lot about what kind of person you are

The question in the OP seems to have more to do with your image than your actual identity as a person
Certainly when I was younger, doing the sound for NWOBHM and Rock bands I had long hair, rode a motorbike and drank beer at the local Hells Angel's pub.
Doing sound for the bands made me more interested in electronics and I got a HND and became a designer of mixers and PA systems.
It sort of faded a little as I got older and changed jobs for more money in the Aerospave industry, but still have long hair and still do sound for local gigs.
Last edited by PSimonR at Jun 21, 2017,
Quote by whywefight
The question in the OP seems to have more to do with your image than your actual identity as a person

It's not necessarily to do with image, more like how you present yourself as a person. It's probably beyond my realm of wit to explain it properly. 
Never
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I got heavily into heavy metal when I was around 16-18. Grew my hair out. Wore band shirts, got a sword with a skull at the hilt tatted on my back. I considered myself "a metalhead". Around 23 when I finished school and got an office job I cut my hair and ditched the image but kept the musical tastes. I'm also heavily into weight lifting (I've competed on BBing on stage in the past) and was also heavily into motorcycles but since that whole "I'm a metalhead" phase I've never embraced being labeled as any of my hobbies (or job). I try not to have a set "image" and just do whatever I feel like. I do miss the long hair sometimes though. Especially at concerts.
not in the superficial sense of adhering to a certain fashion or lifestyle -- except for when I wear band tees (which is pretty rarely these days) I don't present as being a fan of a particular music style (I don't think); but in more profound (but less recognizable) ways, my encounters with certain music when I was younger have informed the directions I took & who I became.

but I do not care about or obsess over "taste" these days.
i'd say more-so when i was younger
was more into metal music, so the way i dressed and styled my hair reflected that.

these days i'm into very progressive music - edm, trance, minimal tech house, lo-fi hip hop beats, trap, etc
i dress like a forever 21 / H&M model, and have a faded side part hair cut, people don't know i'm an eccentric musician / producer until they talk to me.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by neidnarb11890
not in the superficial sense of adhering to a certain fashion or lifestyle -- except for when I wear band tees (which is pretty rarely these days) I don't present as being a fan of a particular music style (I don't think); but in more profound (but less recognizable) ways, my encounters with certain music when I was younger have informed the directions I took & who I became.
punk rock changed our lives
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
One's music taste is always an extension of their identity whether they realize it or not
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by zgr0826

i am a weeb and listen to weeb music
seems to check out

but i also listen to folk punk and post-rock and hip-hop and indie
but i also just wear a t-shirt and shorts most days, and have purple hair (soon to be blue again), and am doing a lot of research so i can get my septum pierced next week

i don't think so
Quote by StewieSwan
One's music taste is always an extension of their identity whether they realize it or not

correct

however

I'd say that there is very little that can be found about my musical interests by looking at me, or by talking to me about anything but music (save perhaps for like minimalist art idk)

My interest in japanese culture might tip people off to liking some of the music but hardly anyone knows stuff like midori
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I'm a fan of '80s music and I dress very '80s, but not the flashy neon/animal print/fishnet/spandex '80s style people automatically picture (although I like that style too).   In the '80s though, I dressed like an '80s rock,metal/hair metal head, I was pretty much the epitome of the time.  
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jun 21, 2017,
Yes.  I'm a MetalHead and, though more on the conservative end, still look it on a daily basis.  

- Straight legged, non-bootcut, non-baggy jeans (but intact and clean).
- 99% of my shirts are black. Intact and not what I would consider faded.  Mostly band T's, Instrument brand T's, Record store T's, some Grunt Style. 
- Grey denim battle-vest (when I feel like it)
- A couple different black leather jackets
- Small 16g hoop earings (never taken out)
- Left sleeve tattoo
- Black sneakers ... always black.
- Shaved head (mostly because I started going bald at 20)
- Scruffy red beard
- My A-Shirts are black, boxer briefs black, socks are black.

- Work is "semi-casual" so I bought a dozen black polo's.  I wear them with my everyday jeans. 
- Anything formal, I either wear one of my polo's, a black button-up, or my full black tailored suit (pants, jacket, shirt, tie). 

Besides the time I spend with my wife (who's also into metal but different sub-genre's than me) doing your average things couple do, my personal life pretty much revolves around music.
Last edited by Xander_X at Jun 21, 2017,
i mean sure but i would say more my relationship with music in general rather than the kind of music i like which is all over the place

like music is pretty much my main interest and my sole serious hobby and therefore definitely a big part of who i am but i don't go around thinking of myself as a [specific genre] fan, even if obviously all those things affect me
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Kinda yes, kinda no. Hard to tell.

I do consider myself a "rocker" in general, though I don't really have any one dicipline I really tie myself to. My philosophy is just do the needful - whatever works in this moment.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
music's always been a part of my life. i started playing piano when i was six so some of my early childhood memories are me practising each day and going to lessons. idk how much of that is visible to others, like banjocal was saying, but it's definitely a large part of my identity
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by institutions
i am a weeb and listen to weeb music
seems to check out

but i also listen to folk punk and post-rock and hip-hop and indie
but i also just wear a t-shirt and shorts most days, and have purple hair (soon to be blue again), and am doing a lot of research so i can get my septum pierced next week

i don't think so
would you not say that listening to styles other than weebie is reflected in your identity on a less superficial level?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
nah. idk what my identity even is tbh I'm a fucking weird ass gym rat/CS student/software dev/beach bum/budding(lol) stoner and none of that has anything to do with my taste in music.
Gosh, I keep coming back to this thread and still have no idea how to answer.

I don't really know myself enough to say yes or no. I mean I definitely had a few phases (see trench coat, fedoras, fingerless gloves, etc.), but after growing out of it, it's hard to say if it had a lasting impact/left an impression on my mentality and how I see the world.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jun 22, 2017,
Definitely. My taste in music is heavily influenced by my upbringing, where I come from, what kind of media I consume, and my ideas about art and humanity. All those things are important parts of my identity. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand someone who answers "no" to this question. Where does your taste in music come from, if not from things deeply intertwined with your identity as a person?
Death to Ovation haters!
My taste in music is a reflection of my identity, not vice versa. I don't think you could tell what I listen to by the way I dress, but that's not the point. Your personality and the mental associations you make are what determine your aesthetic preferences. I've never felt like I was part of any sort of subculture, but some music resonates with me, while most just goes in one ear and out the other.
More so when I was younger I guess but still to a degree today. Between the ages of 16-22 I was religiously wearing band shirts, black trousers and boots with long hair and a beard.

Then I kind of got sick of it and wanted to dress in different ways, more in tune with what I actually thought looked good. I feel much better for it and also I quite like the surprise on peoples faces when I meet them and they ask me what my music taste is. 
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
In this day and age you can listen to country music and dress like a metalhead because you are free to identify as anything you wish!

Maybe you prefer the disco sounds of the 1970's but identify and dress as a gangsta rap fan dress like Lil' Wayne and listen to ABBA
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

My identity is that of an observer that can superficially fit into any group with ease, but doesn't belong to any group in particular

I have traditionaly shied away from generes that have a strong identity association like metal, grunge, rap and EDM, although my hesitence toward the latter two was more related to the lack of interesting instrumental parts in my view.

Now I have an artist or two in most generes that I feel like I can at least learn from, if not enjoy in the traditional sense.

I did do the long hair thing in highschool, but I don't think I adopted any of the other parts of the guitar identity
I like dark noir jazz like Bohren and the club of gore and the kilimanjaro darkjazz ensemble, but my personality is not cool Philip Marlowe.
Not really, I'm largely into metal music which often has a certain vibe of not conforming etc, whereas personally I'm a pretty average joe.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Had a meal with all my mates for someone's birthday the other day. Just received this because I was sitting opposite him and his gf. Lol

what?
Page 1 of 2