I'm stuck between a few "boutique" distortion pedals. I would like something that would do well at capturing a heavy Alternative sound (Think Alice In Chains' current sound on The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here and Black Gives Way To Blue). Currently, I'm looking at the Bogner Ecstasy, Diezel VH4 and the Wampler Triple Wreck. What are your thoughts on these pedals? I'm not a fan of scooped mids and would love a pedal that has the huge and girthy sound without being too dark, fuzzy, or muddy. The pedal should also be just shrill enough to sit in a mix really well without being too ear piercing. Feel free to add suggestions! My current set-up is a Mesa 4x12 with Vintage 30s, a EHX MIG50, and a Fender Jaguar with a Railhammer Alnico Grande in the bridge. 
monwobobbo I'm not too familiar with overdrive pedals, honestly. I've never familarized myself with overdrive pedals because I never found them to pack the tone that I'm after whenever I would see someone put one to use. Feel free to suggest some!
All of those distortions are good. So are these:

Empress Heavy
https://empresseffects.com/products/heavy

Okko Dominator Red or Black (yes, the 2 color's sound different.)
http://www.stompbox.de/dominator_red_english.html
http://www.stompbox.de/dominator_black_english.html

Emma Pisdiyauwot
http://www.godlyke.com/emma-effects-pedals/pisdiyauwot-metal-distortion
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz Thank you! I will look into those as well. Out of the ones that I mentioned, which do you feel is best for the tone I'm shooting for? They all seem to be around the same price.
The Wampler is the one I'm most familiar with of those you listed. Wampler makes good stuff, and the TR gets a LOT of love around here.

I don't think it gets quite as heavy as the ones I listed, but it still gets beastly, in a good, musical way. The demo on Sweetwater showcases all kinds of rock .& metal tone just shy of the more extreme stuff. It would definitely do AIC.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz I took a listen to the ones that you listed and they all get insane! Thanks for those suggestions! That's the thing with the Triple Wreck and the Ecstasy, they both seem to push hard and stay musical (amp like as they are modeled after). The only downfall with the Ecstasy is that some demos show the Ecstasy killing it and getting right in that High-Gain before going insane stage where Alice usually is, where as other demos seems to show it sounding more classic rock sounding than anything with very similar settings. The downfall I've seen with the Triple Wreck is that it seems to sound too dark and muddy in some videos...In others it sounds fantastic with similar settings. My MIG50 is already a pretty dark sounding head. 
Last edited by dustin.schumach at Jun 22, 2017,
The Suhr eclipse is good
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
One I forgot: the Friedman BE-OD.

It has an internal trim pot that affects the gain. At extreme settings, it is so high-gain that high-gain is all it can do. Set more reasonably, it can be quite versatile.

If you want Mesa sounding high gain check out the Mesa Throttle Box.   (These threads always turn into name your favorite or the pedal you want to try next.)
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
(These threads always turn into name your favorite or the pedal you want to try next.)

That is the truth.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup Though my favorite is the channel select button on the amp!!!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by diabolical
I got the Emma and actually it is not as high gain as I expected, it can do a lot more, actually quite versatile. I like Wampler's output as well, also the Jekyll & Hyde (Visual Sound) is quite an interesting offering.

I have the V2 of the Jekyll & Hyde, and look forward to getting a V3. Damn good pedal. Not sure I'd call it high-gain, though.

Quote by dustin.schumach
monwobobbo I'm not too familiar with overdrive pedals, honestly. I've never familarized myself with overdrive pedals because I never found them to pack the tone that I'm after whenever I would see someone put one to use. Feel free to suggest some!

the basic idea they were shooting for is to take something like a Tubescreamer and turn the level all the way up while turning the gain all the way. It'll saturate your preamp while staying tight and defined and add brighter midrange to the sound. The mig-50 should have a decent enough distortion channel that you're better served with this method than getting all of your gain from a pedal that cost less than the amp you paid for.
pinheadslts75 Oh, okay. I understand what you mean now. Thanks for the explanation. The MIG50 only has one channel. Well, two IF you count the bright channel, but it's more of an all clean head since I've replaced the tubes in it to make it so. By the time it's turned up enough to start getting a bit of saturation and hair on my tone, it's already way too loud. 
dannyalcatraz 
Quote by dannyalcatraz
One I forgot: the Friedman BE-OD.

It has an internal trim pot that affects the gain.  At extreme settings, it is so high-gain that high-gain is all it can do.  Set more reasonably, it can be quite versatile.

I'll be looking into that one a bit more! I have seen a few clips and kind of liked what I heard!
Quote by darkwolf291
Suhr Riot

I have went back and forth with that pedal a bit for a few years now. I was really interested for a bit, but then lost interest. I'll have to look into it again. All of the videos that I see on it are usually 80's style hair metal riffing, which is great and all, but I'd really like to see a video with a more my pace (Sludgy/Heavy Alternative) style of playing to really get a good grasp for all of it's tonal abilities. 
dustin.schumach

Check these:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
dustin.schumach

Check these:

Thanks for these! If he says that stock (without moving the internal knob) that the BE-OD has a ton of gain, then I feel like it could really work well for what I'm going for. Currently, I'd say it's between the BE-OD and Bogner Red Ecstasy for the top two. The only issue with the BE-OD is that it does seem a bit thinner than the Ecstasy. The mids seem a little scooped sounding. The gain is there, though. That's where it gets points ahead of the Bogner. The Bogner (from what I've seen) just seems to slightly lack getting into the high-gain realm. If there's a high-gain Ecstasy video out there, I'd love to see it. The Triple Wreck is starting to fall off with how dark and muddy every video makes it sound. 
Last edited by dustin.schumach at Jun 24, 2017,
If you're going to shell out for a bogner pedal and you want it to have more gain, why not just get the Uberschall?
Quote by pinheadslts75
If you're going to shell out for a bogner pedal and you want it to have more gain, why not just get the Uberschall?

I had a few people tell me to give it a look, and all of the demos seem to show that Bogner really missed the mark with the Uberschall pedal. After further looking into the Ecstasy, it for sure has enough gain. Also, I'd love to spend less, but the "amp-like" pedals that seem to be catching my eye really run high, but sound so tight and not so digital as some others.  
Last edited by dustin.schumach at Jun 24, 2017,