I'm looking for some amp advice for someone on a budget. Ive been currently using a Blues Jr for couple years and some of my friends and a well respected guitar teacher of mine have suggestion I need to get something else. I've been told my sound is sorta thin and small. Im thinking about getting a hot rod or a deville. Im on a really tight budget and i don't see myself having enough money to pay more than $400/500 on an amp for the next 2 years. I play at Strat and love the fender tone. Any suggestions? should i sell my Blue Jr and get something with more watts. 
Used Peavey Classic 30 or Traynor YCV40?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I've heard a lotta players absolutely wail through a Blues Jr and they sounded anything but thin and small.  I suspect the amp choice is not the problem.

A Mesa Roadster 4x12 is nice tho.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
A Mesa Roadster 2X12 ain't too shabby either.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 22, 2017,
brenton393

Your teacher is among those telling you this? Is it a question of volume? As in you're playing with other musicians and just getting drowned out?

Is the amp working properly?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz My gig is usually weekend church. Its a big church, we have a isolation box so I pretty much max out the master and turn  the volume almost half way for a little breakup.  After mic'ing it, volume isn't a cancer
A HRD will give you a bit more...oompfff while still delivering that Fender clean sound. You can probably find a used one in your price range.

You might also consider a Carvin Nomad.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by brenton393
dannyalcatraz My gig is usually weekend church. Its a big church, we have a isolation box so I pretty much max out the master and turn  the volume almost half way for a little breakup.  After mic'ing it, volume isn't a cancer

A Blues Jr is an excellent amp for being mic'd in an iso cab.  Probably 200 hit songs have been recorded that way with nice big fat tone.  Work with your instructor or another experienced guitarist to fatten up your tone at lower volumes so it sounds good in the mic.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The Blues Junior has a great sound, but it does sound thin when compared to the Hot Rod Deluxe. If you have them side by side you will notice that the HRD is able to push way more bass. The HRD is significantly heavier so if you have to carry the amp each week you have to factor it in too.
Typically, for a lot of styles of music you shouldn't really need a 'big' sound with a thumping low end if you've got a lot of other stuff happening simultaneously. In situations like that, It's more about fitting the guitar into the right space, mix-wise, and a big sound can really clutter things up.

If you're running it cranked inside an isolation box, that can complicate things, because the perceived "smallness" of the sound could be the result of something the sound engineer is doing wrong rather than a problem with the amp itself.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The blues Jr is perfectly capable of sounding like a big amp.  The dirty channel isn't great so if you are using that for your distortion/overdrive then that is probably your problem.  If you want distortion out of that amp you need to crank the clean channel or use a good overdrive in front of the clean channel.  You don't need to shell out for a new amp.  Upgrading to a deluxe, deville, or hot rod might help a little but none of them have great dirty tone through the dirty channel.  If you have a low to mid level strat it is also likely your pickups are not helping your tone much.  Low end strats usually use low output ceramic magnet pickups which almost always sound thin.  Mid level strats usually have alnico pickups but use plastic bobbin which also makes tone suffer.  For fatter strat tone you want alnico pickups slightly overwound (around 6k or more) with fibre bobbins.  If I were you I'd be looking into an overdrive pedal and/or some pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Cajundaddy
A Blues Jr is an excellent amp for being mic'd in an iso cab.  Probably 200 hit songs have been recorded that way with nice big fat tone.  Work with your instructor or another experienced guitarist to fatten up your tone at lower volumes so it sounds good in the mic.

Geez, I was gonna say...
You've got a really good amp there, and you probably don't need to be swapping out for anything else. If you're miked in an iso cabinet, you should be getting great tone... You really don't need to have the volume up all the way, either.
Quote by fly135
Put some 13's on that strat.  I bet it won't sound so thin then.

in my experience, heavier gauge strings don't actually produce a "thicker" tone as such, and certainly won't fix a tone that is too thin. It can actually be counter productive as heavier strings make you work harder to get a nice full-bodied sound in the first place
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
brenton393 maybe you just need to move away from the Fender brand or a bigger size speaker?
Also it matters what kind of effects you are using. Maybe Orange?
I have Orange Tiny Terror which is 15 watts and has a 12inch Celestion speaker:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers/Limited-Edition-Tiny-Terror-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Greenback.gc
Maybe Orange Rocker for two channels if you need clean and dirty at the press of footswitch:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers/Rocker-15-15W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier.gc

Traynor is also a great option, I'll go for the YCV50B though as it has a better overdrive channel.
I would pick up a classic 30. they are pretty cheap overall and are great amps.

how does it sound to you when not in an iso-box?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
hey guys, Im going to stick with the Blue jr for know. I think most of you are right that I need to tinker with the setting a little more. The best thing i could probably do is put better pickups on my Start mim, but right know its not  financially a  priority. 
Have you had your amp long enough/played it enough that maybe you need new tubes? Before my AC30 needed a tube change I thought it started sounding very thin... like someone had thrown a blanket over it. Once I swapped in some new tubes and broke em in, amp sounded great again.

Another option is grabbing an EQ pedal (there are some really cheap ones... I used to have the JOYO one which was super cheap and worked fine). Maybe you could use that to boost some frequencies... i.e. push the bass levels up to try to fatten your tone? Or just push your mids up to help you cut through the mix more? Along these lines, you could grab a Tubescreamer and keep the gain low and just use the volume to push your whole amp harder. Since you are running your amp close to breakup right now, this might push it just a bit harder for some nice natural light overdrive. Since you said you are on a budget, there are tons of cheap tubescreamer clones out there.
You can run the Blues Jr into a cabinet with an attenuator, such as the THD Hot Plates...this will allow you to basically use the Blues Jr as a head to power a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet...it's been done before.

http://imgur.com/a/QVhpf