Poll: What is the best Soldano head except for the SLO-100?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the best Soldano head except for the SLO-100?
100w Avenger
2 40%
50w Avenger
1 20%
100w Lucky 13
0 0%
50w Lucky 13
0 0%
Astroverb 16
0 0%
Decatone
1 20%
Hot Rod 100 Avenger
0 0%
Hot Rod 50 Avenger
0 0%
Hot Rod 100 Plus
1 20%
Hot Rod 50 Plus
1 20%
Hot Rod 25
0 0%
Voters: 5.
I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

By "best," I mean the most versatile and durable. If you vote in the poll, please specify why you voted for what you voted for You can vote for more than one thing.
Last edited by kaiburns1 at Jun 22, 2017,
Avenger. Cause it sounds like the SLO.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE

Nice. I heard it was a bit darker than the SLO though. I think the Hot Rod Avengers are the same but with an FX loop... I might be wrong though
the slo.
the lucky 13 because it doesn't try to be a slo.

I've owned all these amps other then the decatone.

I love soldano but if you don't buy the slo..there's really no reason to buy any of the other amps unless you get one really cheap.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
AcousticMirror

I've heard that the cleans on the Lucky 13 are great. It doesn't have an FX loop though D:

The SLO is definitely Soldano's best amp, and I knew everyone would pick it if I included it in the poll. However, the Decatone can do crunch way better than an SLO can imo.

One day I'll get a summer job and save up to get an SLO-100. I'd probably have to get it used though. Or maybe a Bogner Ectsacy or Twin Jet... one of those three lol
Last edited by kaiburns1 at Jun 22, 2017,
i mean maybe? but if you are looking just for that crunch why are you buying a soldano.

the other problem is that the jet cities are just too good and the other soldanos hold their values just a little too well. A hot rod would be great at 900 not so much at 1500.
AcousticMirror

I'm not looking for anything really, I just wanna hear your opinions I'll probably end up getting an SLO anyway. I'm just curious

And yes I agree... Soldano is expensive as hell. Do you think the SLO's are worth it though?
just get a hot rod 50 plus, call it a day. spend under $1000.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by AcousticMirror
the slo.
the lucky 13 because it doesn't try to be a slo.

I've owned all these amps other then the decatone.

I love soldano but if you don't buy the slo..there's really no reason to buy any of the other amps unless you get one really cheap.

Same, SLO all the way.

I've owned all except for the Lucky 13 and the 50W variants. The Avenger and its various mods didn't sound like a SLO to me.

I'd say the next best would be a tie between the HotRod 100 Plus (versatile) and Decatone (mine has the DeYoung transformers ala SLO ). The Bay Area CL is excellent for snagging high-end stuff for cheap.
Ippon

Is the SLO-100 worth the $4000-$5000? How versatile is it?

I heard that the Decatone and the Hot Rod 100 was their most versatile amp.
Quote by kaiburns1
Ippon

Is the SLO-100 worth the $4000-$5000? How versatile is it?

I heard that the Decatone and the Hot Rod 100 was their most versatile amp.

Min (AcousticMirror) sold me his SLO for $1800; so, it's well worth it.

I got the HR100+ and Decatone for $1000 each here in the Bay Area. The others were less than $1000. Here's what I still have (old pic from profile):

edit: As Min mentioned above, the Jet City amps are very nice. The regular 100W and 100HDM heads have shown up as MF Stupid Deals for $500 and the 50W combo for $300.
Ippon

That picture is very arousing lol :P

I just spoke with my guitar teacher Roger. He's played every amp there is to offer since the 90s (not really lol, but he's played a LOT of amps). He says that the best amp he ever played through was his SLO-100. He's also really good friends with Mike Soldano.

How good are the cleans on the SLO-100?
The cleans are awful if you actually need to use the crunch channel. They are ok if you just want to use clean and lead channels.
AcousticMirror

Oh lol.

If I get one, I'll use my AC30 for cleans then, use the crunch channel for actual crunch (a lot of people use it for cleans) and the lead channel for metal fuzz sounds. I was hoping I could sell the AC30 and save up a little bit of money, but I guess not lol
I'd honestly just buy a Randall 667 and call it a day at this point in my life
I use a Randall RM100 with two Jaded Faith SLO modules. That leaves a third channel for my cleans which I run either a Salvaton Mash-all module for low gain Marshall tones or a Randall Tweed module for Fender cleans.
Much, much cheaper way to go and easy to alter later if you find another amp that you want to use.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
AcousticMirror 

Well the thing is I don't think it would be hard to get a Soldano SLO to sound like a VH4. A compressor pedal and a low treble, mid mids, and low bass EQ would get pretty close.

Also, a plain SLO sound is useful for other things too.
Quote by kaiburns1
AcousticMirror 

Well the thing is I don't think it would be hard to get a Soldano SLO to sound like a VH4. A compressor pedal and a low treble, mid mids, and low bass EQ would get pretty close.

Also, a plain SLO sound is useful for other things too.

That's fine. Everyone should own a slo at least once. Used prices have been creeping up though. Honestly, Mike fortin is just as good of a designer as soldano if not better.
Quote by AcousticMirror
That's fine. Everyone should own a slo at least once. Used prices have been creeping up though. Honestly, Mike fortin is just as good of a designer as soldano if not better.

Well I guess that settles it...

My next amp will be an SLO-100 I'll get a summer job in about a year or two when I'm old enough and work like hell... but it will be so worth it! Soldanos are the best... jeez I can't wait! lol