This is most likelh a stupid questiokn but here goes

Is there any way i can use headphones in my amp instead of using the speaker? There is no headphone jack but there is 3 outputs on the back, one is going to the speaker. Can i unplug that and use a headphone adapter jack in its place or do i need to use a load box?
NO. Do not plug your headphones into the speaker output.
You haven't indicated whether or not you have a tube amp, but I'm guessing so.
First, you need to have a speaker or a loadbox attached to the amp at all times.
Second, the output from the amp through the speaker output jack is FAR higher than the headphones are designed to handle. You'll just damage your headphones.
dspellman
Yeah it is tube (blackstar ht40)

So could i plug the headphones into a second output while keeping the speaker plugged in? But that would still mean that sound is coming through the speaker, right?
If your amp doesn't have headphone out jack.. then it's not advisable to randomly plug a headphone to it. unless you want to hack, tamper, or do mods for a headphone out jack.. not good idea.. just play at low volume.. or get a portable amp.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I agree completely with the above. Do not do this. Your headphone speakers will fry I would imagine immediately.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by CENSORED.
dspellman
Yeah it is tube (blackstar ht40)

So could i plug the headphones into a second output while keeping the speaker plugged in? But that would still mean that sound is coming through the speaker, right?

No, you can't use a second amp output.
As things stand, you can't use a headphone on this amp.

In essence, the solution is an expensive one. You'd have to have an appropriate load box (one that has a headphone output), run the speaker output from the amp to the load box, disconnect the internal speaker and then plug a set of headphones into the headphone output on the load box.

There are cheaper ways to practice with headphones without your amp.

One way is to pick up a used modeler, like the Line 6 Pod XT "bean." We've had them show up on the local Craigslist for as low as $85. Plug the guitar into the modeler/preamp, plug the headphones into the headphone output, plug it into the wall (unless it's battery powered) and blast away. The nice thing is that you can crank the modeler as much as you like without waking the baby (so to speak).
Wow thanks for the replies everyone i thought it was common practice to plug headphones into amps other than small practice amps
Only those rare- but increasingly common- amps that have headphone jacks.

Now, I will say I'm 100% on board with the POD idea. I do that kind of thing myself. In fact, I did that exclusively for 3 years before buying an amp.

But if you have invested in pedals and want to practice using those pedals with headphones, investing in an amp with a headphone jack would seem to be a reasonable option.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by CENSORED.
Way Cool JR.
So if i used the emulated output i could just plug the headphones into the jack?

Most amps with a headphone jack also doubles as an emulated out, so I would imagine it would also work the other way around.  I would always have a cab hooked for a load no mater what.  
Quote by CENSORED.
Just as hypothetically, would buying a cheap DI box and an eq pedal work?

for what? you can't use your amp with headphones on the cheap. sorry no other answer on that. you could get a cheap multi-fx unit as they often have headphone jacks. if you want to play when you could piss off people around the house then this is a good way to go. i to have a POD which comes in handy for this. pedals other than distortion and overdrive work with a POD . most of the songs in the link in my profile were recorded using a POD they do come in handy. 
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Most amps with a headphone jack also doubles as an emulated out, so I would imagine it would also work the other way around.  I would always have a cab hooked for a load no mater what.  

So you think if i leave my head plugged into the speaker and then plug in my headphone adapter jack to the emulated output, it would work, regardless of how shitty it may sound?
If the emulated output on the Marshall is just a tap from the speaker out it won't work. It's not a powered line out.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by CENSORED.
So you think if i leave my head plugged into the speaker and then plug in my headphone adapter jack to the emulated output, it would work, regardless of how shitty it may sound?

It may not, the emulated output may be completely wrong for headphones AND you'll still have sound coming out of the speaker. What's the point?
dspellman
Mainly just out of curiosity i wanted to know. There are occasions when i want to play but it would disturb people so headphones sounded like a decent option
Quote by CENSORED.
dspellman
Mainly just out of curiosity i wanted to know. There are occasions when i want to play but it would disturb people so headphones sounded like a decent option

Headphones are an excellent option, but the bottom line is: Your amp is not set up for headphones. Period.
Second, getting the bits and pieces that would transform it into something that would allow you to use headphones and cut off the speaker would be more expensive than finding a used Pod XT or a Korg Pandora (mini or PX5D) or anyone of at least a dozen headphone setups and leaving your amp unplugged and unused in a corner. In fact, with most of these options, you not only have a wide variety of amps/cabs/effects at your disposal to tweak your sound while you're playing through the headphones, but some of them (I've got a Korg Pandora PX5D, for example) have a whole lot of practice options available as well. My little Korg, which is sort of cigarette-pack sized, has a metronome, a tuner, an auxiliary input (to play your MP3 player through), a phrase trainer (up to 40 seconds of the same bit of music over and over) a slower-downer (changes the speed without changing the pitch), a pitch shifter (does just the opposite; changes the key without changing the speed), a set of bass lines, a set of drum patterns, even a USB recording output. Oh, and it runs on AA batteries or (optionally) AC power.
After researching, people do use these amps Emulated outs to play with headphones.  IT would be best to use either headphones straight in with a built in volume control or plug into a mixer or home stereo auxiliary and then use that devices headphone jack.  Then to have the external speaker silent you set the amp in standby mode and the emulated out and amp perform as normal but without the external speaker.  This is a combo of info from Blakstar's user manual and actual owners/users of these amps on the Blackstar forums.    
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jun 23, 2017,
Seriously, a used Korg or POD with headphones isn't that pricey.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Seriously, a used Korg or POD with headphones isn't that pricey.

Yeah ill make sure to shop around on craigslist and facebook!
CENSORED. On the cheap, pick up an Instrument to USB interface cable and use low cost (Peavey ReValver is what I use) or free amp sim software through your computer.  

You can have a fully licensed setup for under $50.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
CENSORED. I use Peavey ReValver - super intuitive gui and sounds great. Starts free and you can buy the amps/cabs you want or a bundle.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .