Page 1 of 2
I just recently got myself a blackstar ht5 and this thing sounds great but i just want to know how well tubescreamers work with them to get a tighter gain sound out of it. Im thinking about getting the boss sd 1 but before buying one wouod like to get the opinion of people who have used tubescreamers with this amp as online i have found mixed things. Thanks
never met a tube amp that a TS didn't get along with. should work fine. the Boss pedal will as well.
Quote by clintonalessi1
monwobobbo Its not all tube tho.

enough of it is so an overdrive should work fine. 
Yeah it should but i have heard conflicting things. Anyone got a ht5 using a tubescreamer?
Last edited by clintonalessi1 at Jun 22, 2017,
I think Ola englund has a playthrough demo with HT5 and uses Maxon TS on and off. IIRC it sounded fine.

*Edit* ah, here it is.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 23, 2017,
The preamp gain structure of the HT5 is such that in order to deliver the amount of gain it has, there are a series of opamp circuits in the preamp that are there to help the single preamp tube to go into hard clipping.

what adding a tubescreamer will effectively do is add yet another opamp to the preamp gain stages.

I don't think the amp will react in any negative way to adding another opamp stage to the signal, but what makes you think a tubescreamer is the best pedal for the job? typically tubescreamers are used to tighten the low end of an amp that has a loose bass response as well as increase gain. I've played an HT5 before and I didn't really think it needed any further tightening of the low end, as effectively there's already a tubescreamer-style opamp circuit already built into the preamp of the HT5 anyway.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE i feel the low end could be tightened up thats why i thaught a tubescreamer would be perfect for the job. And i feel that with the gain cranked on the amp it get a little bit muddy.
^ yeah if that's the case it may well work well.

Quote by monwobobbo
enough of it is so an overdrive should work fine. 

but it has op-amps at the input, which is where the tubescreamer or sd1 will blast it- i think it's a valid question.

i haven't tried it, so I'm not sure. I would say that plenty of distortion pedals take a tubescreamer or SD1 well, so it's not guaranteed that it won't work with the HT-5- it may well work just fine.

what T00DEEPBLUE said, basically (though i haven't tried the amp, so obviously I have no opinion on how it sounds).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the tube screamer though a clean amp will sound good.  Tube screamer through the dirty channel won't sound great. I don't know if you can use the tube screamer to push the amp to overdrive like SRV did and still sound good but if you keep the volume low enough to keep the amp clean and then rely on the screamer for distortion, like Metallic used to do, then it will sound good.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 23, 2017,
The TS is awesome on my Marshall and Vox. The DS1 is awesome on my Marshall and Fender. The Triple Wreck is awesome on my Marshall. The Catapult is awesome on my Fender. You can buy it, try it out, and return it if you do not like it. 

You need to take advantage of the return policy. Smart people return stuff. 
Quote by clintonalessi1
Thanks for the replys but still not a definate answer. Anyone actually use the ht5 with a tubescreamer here?

the video posted clearly shows that it will. i seems like he hits a button to up the gain so i'd think that the TS coud be engaged instead for better control. my Valveking has a button like this which i leave off and use an overdrive instead. 
Quote by clintonalessi1
Thanks for the replys but still not a definate answer. Anyone actually use the ht5 with a tubescreamer here?

I have but I didn't use the pedal like a boost.  I let the pedal give me dirt and kept the amp clean. 
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I have but I didn't use the pedal like a boost.  I let the pedal give me dirt and kept the amp clean. 

Thanks but that would only give it a crunch sound. Looking more for a higher gain boost the tubescreamers are known for.
I have an HT5 and used to have an 80s Aria Pro II TS clone.

To my ears, with the gain turned up on the amp the pedal didn't bring much to the party. Back it off a bit and you could use the pedal to change the character of the distortion quite a lot - it became quite sensitive to the controls on the stompbox.

Never got any sound I was that excited about that way, ended up trading the pedal.

Hope that's vaguely useful, tbh your best bet is borrowing an overdrive and trying it yourself
smb
Thanks for that. Thats exactly what i was thinking, backing the gain off the amp and let the tubescreamer tighten the bass and add a little gain. I might just try get a used pedal and if i dont like it i can always resell it.
Last edited by clintonalessi1 at Jun 24, 2017,
I'd think you'd be happy then. Fwiw I didn't get rid of the box because it didn't sound good, just wasn't what I was going for at the time (I was using the HT5 alongside a big Ashdown for some stereo bass weirdery and TS clones are rubbish for bass)

It did bring a bit more versatility to the amp, worked quite well for playing some early Mastodon type stuff where things normally do get a bit too muddy but I felt the box helped
You know, there are plenty of cheap TS clones. Like Joyo Vintage Overdrive. It is basically a same as Ibanez or Maxon TS, but chinese and made from cheap parts so not as well built and sturdy. If the pedal is not to your liking in front of your Blackstar, its not a huge financial loss so you can safely toss it into the closet to wait until you get another amp to try it with.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
clintonalessi1

Oh! In that case, go for the real deal.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I am an Ibanez TS junkie and have been using them since 1983 but I agree that there are many clone pedals available that do a great job of duplicating the Ibanez TS line at 1/3 of the cost. If you want a real Ibanez get a used Ibanez TS7 on EBay. They can be had easily for less than $40. I have five of them because I think down the road they will be the next TS pedal to hit the $100 level. Five years ago you could get TS10 pedals (my favorite) for $40-50 and now they are $150 and up. The TS7 sounds just like a TS9. 

Part of my collection.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Thanks for the replys. I know there are alot of clone tubescreamers but thats not what this thread is about. I just wanted to know if they work well on the blackstar ht5.
Quote by clintonalessi1
Thanks for the replys. I know there are alot of clone tubescreamers but thats not what this thread is about. I just wanted to know if they work well on the blackstar ht5.

Works well is kinda subjective. At this point get a TS and give it a shot. You may like or hate results. It's all opinion and yours is the one that will count
Quote by clintonalessi1
MaaZeus
Here in Australia those pedal are the same price as a boss sd 1 and i wouldnt say that they are cheap here either.

If you are willing to import, there are chinese sellers on ebay who offer free shipping to Australia (usually takes about a month to arrive). Joyo pedals can be had for under $40.
RIP Gooze

cats
I have used both the Boss SD-1 & a Keeley modded Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer through the HT-5. I prefer the SD-1 personally, as it tightens the overdrive channel up so I can get a nice 80's metal tone out of the amp, without a boost the amps overdrive isn't quite tight enough to get there. I think some kind of overdrive or tube screamer pedal is what you are after.
Other Bands Play...
Manowar Kill!
Quote by Metalbush
I have used both the Boss SD-1 & a Keeley modded Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer through the HT-5. I prefer the SD-1 personally, as it tightens the overdrive channel up so I can get a nice 80's metal tone out of the amp, without a boost the amps overdrive isn't quite tight enough to get there. I think some kind of overdrive or tube screamer pedal is what you are after.

Thank you! This is exactly the answer i was looking for. I play mostly 80's metal so im happy that you got there using the ht5 with the boss sd 1.
I struggle to get a modern metal sound out of the HT-5 however due to the way it's voiced, However 80's metal, thrash, hard rock & the like it tightens up nicely with a boost. I prefer to use the tube screamer's own gain set for a crunch sound through the amps clean channel & the SD-1 as a boost on the gain channel. However either pedal in either setting is going to do well.
Other Bands Play...
Manowar Kill!
Quote by Metalbush
I struggle to get a modern metal sound out of the HT-5 however due to the way it's voiced, However 80's metal, thrash, hard rock & the like it tightens up nicely with a boost. I prefer to use the tube screamer's own gain set for a crunch sound through the amps clean channel & the SD-1 as a boost on the gain channel. However either pedal in either setting is going to do well.

This is exactly how i was going to use the boss sd 1. I just wanted to make sure they work well together and going from what you have told me it will be perfect for what im looking for 👍
Quote by Metalbush

yeah the irony is that those modded boutique tubescreamers often "fix" the "problems" with the tubescreamer- which is often the bass cut. that will probably make it a better standalone overdrive, but it makes it worse as a boost as the bass cut is what tightens and focusses things, which is usually what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah the irony is that those modded boutique tubescreamers often "fix" the "problems" with the tubescreamer- which is often the bass cut. that will probably make it a better standalone overdrive, but it makes it worse as a boost as the bass cut is what tightens and focusses things, which is usually what you want.

Indeed, however I'm happy with the keeley TS for crunch & light drive jobs or even stacking with other od's, but for boosting as you said the lack of a mid hump & bass cut is sorely missed.
Other Bands Play...
Manowar Kill!
Quote by Metalbush
Indeed, however I'm happy with the keeley TS for crunch & light drive jobs or even stacking with other od's, but for boosting as you said the lack of a mid hump & bass cut is sorely missed.

yeah. and while I totally understand and agree that sometimes changing one component can make a big difference to the tone, if you know you don't like the mid hump, compression and bass cut, maybe a different non-tubescreamer-based pedal might be a better idea?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by clintonalessi1
Im bidding on a bad monkey atm. Might be best of both worlds with the bass and treble eq

Bidding?. If you have to bid then go for a digitech CM-2 which is their high end version of the BM
Quote by monwobobbo
Bidding?. If you have to bid then go for a digitech CM-2 which is their high end version of the BM

+1

Ironically the BM typically sells for more than the CM-2 does despite it being the better pedal.

Pretty surprising that the BM sells for literally twice what it originally cost 10 years ago.

https://reverb.com/uk/p/digitech-bad-monkey-tube-overdrive-2000s-green?gclid=CL7egLe749QCFaWw7QodGV4CBw&hfid=3773498

Damn.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
+1

Ironically the BM typically sells for more than the CM-2 does despite it being the better pedal.

Pretty surprising that the BM sells for literally twice what it originally cost 10 years ago.

https://reverb.com/uk/p/digitech-bad-monkey-tube-overdrive-2000s-green?gclid=CL7egLe749QCFaWw7QodGV4CBw&hfid=3773498

Damn.

WTF!? Bad Monkey should be a CHEAP tubescreamer clone, with a little improvement in the EQ section over the original. It is built well, sounds great when on, but it is still a cheap great bang for the buck pedal, nothing more. 80 pounds is a fricking rip off, I bought mine for about 40€ brand spanking new just a few years ago.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
The bad monkey is out of production so I guess some figure it has increased in value. Agree way to much
Page 1 of 2