Hello everyone,

I've always had an interest in picking up the bass, but different struggles have always placed it further down my list. That's recently changed

I'm in search of a jack of all trades sort of bass. I'd be primarily playing classic rock, blues, and R&B. I'd also need amp that could deliver a nice, clean, sound conducive to those styles.

I don't really have a budget restriction; I'm looking for that sweet spot where price is lowest for a good instrument. If I had to give a number, I'd be comfortable spending $500-700 for a quality set. I know it's subjective, but my years of guitar playing have spoiled me with regard to noticing playability and intonation issues. I'd prefer to skip the "starter phase" instruments and move into the lower end mid-range, if that makes sense.

Buying used is preferred if it means I can save up money. Thank you in advanced and I apologize for the rambling.

Edit: I'm asking for recommendations, if that wasn't already clear.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Last edited by megano28 at Jun 23, 2017,
Buy a decent used bass and it'll keep its value for if/when you decide to sell it.
Problem is that my knowledge on Basses stems from my knowledge of guitars. Which, in this case, is not enough for a purchase of this size
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

A  P/J style has some nice versatility. You might look into something with that pup configuration.  The recent Ampeg and Fender Combo amps are pretty good, you could prol' pick up one of their 1x12 or 1x15's cheap enough used. Ibanez (imo) has good fit and finish even at their lowest levels so that brand might be a consideration.

Of course you could always buy a used MM P-Bass and the biggest used PV bass amp you can find. That would work too!
I'd go for an Ibanez in that price range. For example, I'd pick something in the SR300 range (4, 5, and 6 string) ($349 - $449) because they're decent quality, have a very versatile pickup/EQ combo (2 humbuckers, split/full/PT, 3 band EQ) and (for me at least) are very comfortable.
You could also get a Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz bass with that kind of budget.

When it comes to amps, there are quite a few options in the budget
Gallien Krueger:  MB115 200w (1x15),
Ashdown:  Vintage 12-75 75w (1x12) or the FF125 125w (1x15),
Eden:  EC210 180w (2x10), 
TC Electronic:  BG250-115 250w (1x15)
Peavey:  Max 115 300w 
Ampeg:  Micro CL 100w 2x10 stack

Personally, I'd go for the GK, the Ashdown FF, or the Peavey, but try a couple of them out and you might come to a different conclusion

Good luck!
Yep, go for a used Classic Vibe or a Vintage Modified. I think you'll probably get on well with a jazz, it has a wider tonal range than a P and a neck that will feel more comfortable for a guitarist. The P does work well when you are playing live as it always seems to sit nicely in the mix but both work well. There's a lot of old heavyweight bass gear around on the used market that sounds great. The only downside is transporting it so if it's going to be sat at home and you have space then go for that. Old Peavey and Hartke stuff goes for very little and sounds great.
A standard Fender Jazz bass never failed nobody 
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by Badluckpalms
A standard Fender Jazz bass never failed nobody 

Also, Yamaha RBX/TRBX, Sterling and Schecter Stiletto's are worth a look. Used will be cheaper, obviously. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Thanks guys,

And to sound completely clueless, would you guys mind stating the actual names of the stated basses? Searching them as they're written led to multiple different types.

Edit: except grifter, didn't see your post until now
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Last edited by megano28 at Jun 23, 2017,
Surprisingly, picking a bass guitar is fairly simple.

You can live a lifetime playing a P&J bass (meaning, a bass that has passive Precision and Jazz pickups), and there are a ton of those on the market. When I (fairly recently) decided to pick up bass, I found a Fender Squier Skull (no, seriously) bass, used but pristine, hanging on the wall at a GC for $110. Action was good, sound is just fine (from what I could tell at the time) and they threw in a new set of strings and a cheap bag. It's got a very funny skull and crossbones graphic on the body. Perfect for Praise & Worship on Sundays.

Learning to play it properly is a whole different thing. You can use a pick, but I learned that the smart thing to do is to leave the pick at home, forget everything you know about playing a guitar, and learn to play a bass.

I eventually picked up another bass as well, an older (1989) Carvin LB-75, a 5-string with 24 frets and an active preamp. It's way beyond my pay grade (in terms of my playing ability) but....uh...it was red, and it has a tilted pointy Jackson-esque headstock.
Picking an amp is different.

My first bass-anything was a Bass Pod XT. Since I was going to practice at home, and since I live in a townhome and since bass rumbles everywhere, I got the bean-shaped Bass Pod XT because it had a whole lot of amp/cab/FX I could play with via headphones. Later, I plugged its output into a pair of good studio monitors. Surprisingly good for practice (better if they also have a subwoofer).

Getting an actual amp that will NOT involve plugging you into a PA starts with the speaker cabinets. The classic default, of course, is a 4x10 or an 8x10. Good bass response, loud. They also usually have a "baked-in" sound and they're heavy as hell. The good news is that there are *modern* cabinets that offer your choice of "baked in" sound or transparent reproduction, that go lower and higher (yes, important) than the 4x10/8x10 stuff, and that are half the weight. I settled in on a cabinet style that uses a single 15"LF, a 6.5" mids driver and a tweeter that can be dialed back or off. The speakers are neodymium-based, the 15" has a huge excursion Xmax and the cabinet enormous power handling (if 900W is "enormous") without 'farting out'. Google fEARful 15/6/1 or fEARless F115, if you're interested, but there are others out there.

So I can plug the Bass Pod XT into a Carvin 1500W power amp (with a single cabinet at 8 ohms it puts out 900W, with a pair at 4 ohms it puts out 1500W...perfect!) that weighs just nine pounds and go. OR I can leave the Bass Pod XT in the car and just use my Carvin BX1500 (same power capabilities and weight) bass amp into the same cabinets. Either system allows me to plug into a PA system or mixer at the same time and regulate each output separately.

Or you can get a Fender Rumble and call it a day. These are hefty little practice amps.
I feel like I should add in just a tad of context to my needs. It's been around 5 years since I ditched electric guitar all together and moved on to acoustic and classical/flamenco guitar. Obviously, the picking technique is a little different from traditional bass technique, but I've found it has given me great comfort in it. I then played the double bass and took strong courses in college for about 2 years before switching towns. I wasn't able to bring it with me and by the time I had the money, I didn't have the space. I only mention this because I'm not looking for a transitional bass from a guitarist's perspective, as I've found the bass much more my zone in terms of rhythm development and harmonic elements. I'm also very comfortable with the size of one, considering the double bass I played was much thicker than basses I've messed around with in the past.

All that considered, thank you to everyone that's commented and lent their experience to my benefit. That said, the amount of suggestions have left me slightly overwhelmed in choice, so I once again ask to annoy you all with more information.

Let's say that my budget was 4-500 on the bass alone, and I was favoring the J style pickups, is there a recognized go-to in this case? Looking at what's been recommended, I've tried scouring all markets for a Fender Jazz, as well as considering the stiletto. Now that Carvin has been thrown out there, I'm wondering if they're as great with their basses as they are their guitars.

Thank you all, once again
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by megano28
Thanks guys,

And to sound completely clueless, would you guys mind stating the actual names of the stated basses? Searching them as they're written led to multiple different types.

Edit: except grifter, didn't see your post until now

Ibanez Talman series.

edit.... just noticed your Jazz bass leanings... You might just pony up for a used AmSt Jazz and call it a day. 
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jun 25, 2017,
Just as an update to those concerned, I ended up committing to an American Standard Jazz Bass. Guitar Center has their special going on now and I ended up paying $935 out the door for a NOS 2016. I also found a 40W Rumble for $125 locally, so I went with that until I can buy a better amp.

Thank you for all the help and advice, it definitely was very useful.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51