Page 1 of 2
I no longer attend jazz school, but when I did, a 8-10 hour day of practicing was common during the weekdays. Combined with the fact that my classes involved me playing my instrument as well. I have been out of jazz school for about 7 weeks now. I now practice roughly 3-5 hours.

There was one student in my program who practiced so much he messed up his finger so bad that he hasn't been able to play for 2 years now. He was an insanely good player.

How much time do you guys spend practicing?
Like 30 minutes a month
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I used to do like 30 mins - 1 hour when I was working towards my classical diploma. That destoyed my wrist so now I hardly play.

How you can do 10 hours a day is beyond me.
I probably play guitar for 3-5 hours a week, but I mostly just pick it up & noodle around/run through songs.
Nobody in The Pit plays guitar anymore except me.

and maybe like one or two other users but they're not as good as me so they're not as important ayy lmao
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I reckon about 5 hours, give or take. Some days I only noodle around for 10 minutes and other times I turn my amp up loud and annoy the neighbours for hours at a time. 
I have nothing important to say
Actual practice? like 30 minutes or less. Fuck around and play random notes while annoying everyone around me? At least an hour a day.
Serious post, it depends on if I'm in the mood and/or trying to learn/tab something. If I am, then I would say at least 8 hours a week. But if I'm into something else at the time, then probably less than 2 or 3.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
at the moment i'm kind of relaxing and not doing much (or mostly noodling while doing other stuff, which doesn't really count) but usually i try to get in around an hour of just guitar every day at least

however it depends on my motivation whether that's pushing myself or just keeping up my chops

sometimes a lot more if i'm really trying to suss something out and not subject to imminent deadlines
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I remember making a similar thread a couple years back about how I barely actually played guitar any more but everyone responded as if I was a freak
Pro is for people that aren't professionals. Also scientifically practicing 8-10 hours a day will give you no more progress than like an hour or two and in fact will likely inhibit progress.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I don't really "practice" anymore. I just play
Check out my band Disturbed
I don't really "play" anymore. I just occasionally think about it.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I haven't sat down to actually practice in years, I'm more focused on song writing, recording, and jamming, which I do for about an hour a day max if I'm really in the mood. I'd rather spend my time making fire beats / EDM than perfecting my scales and arpeggios lol.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Jazz School sounds cool. Like Rock and Roll High School, but everyone is in zoot suits.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
About 5 hours a week not sure if I would call it practice though. EDIT It's definitely more lol
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Last edited by UFC on VHS at Jun 26, 2017,
like 30 minutes every 6 months.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I don't practice the guitar, guitar practices me 
My God, it's full of stars!
I have no arms and no legs

I do type everything myself though... ladies
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
I have Parkinson and pick about 2hours a day. It's very good Theropy for me. Have been rockin' and playing blues since'75.
Never say can't do it.
Around an hour a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I kind of miss those days of school where I would have to practice for 5-6 hours. It was nice having things to practice for. Now I pretty much only practice for my bands gigs, the rare solo gig, or when I need/want to write something new. 
Sometimes I look at my guitars hanging on the wall but that's about it
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
About 2 hours a day.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
It used to be 3-6 hours a day (so around 30 a week) this year for me until June. I've been doing 1-2 hours a day this month.
Depends exactly what you mean by practicing.
Standard prwctife 4-6hrs, noodle occasionally in front of tv, songwriting which depends...could be 2hrs or 20, tracking guutar parts for clients maybe an hour or two. Then the occasional free style jam with friends which would vary 2 to 10 hrs...
On average I'd say 10hrs per week.
Between 4 and 18. 

I'm not kidding either. 

My friend and I will work non-stop for that lone and then break for food/youtube, then get right back to it.  This is a rare occasion though.

A lot of days I spend zero.   But I'd say an average of 2 hours a day every day. 
Right now like 4 hours of solid practice a week. I'm coming up with a new routine that I plan on making about an hour and a half a day though.
couple-three hours, maybe. used to be more when I was recording constantly and before my guitar was out of commission for a while but lately I've been more interested in electronic music so I suck a bit more than I used to
Quote by theogonia777
Pro is for people that aren't professionals.  Also scientifically practicing 8-10 hours a day will give you no more progress than like an hour or two and in fact will likely inhibit progress.

You are 100% incorrect in saying that. You aren't practicing properly if you believe 2 hours is more effective than 8-10. That's like saying olympians should only train 2 hours a day. I agree that 8-10 is not necessary, but to say 2 hours is more beneficial is wrong. You don't work on the same thing for all 8 hours, you work on several different techniques/songs/arrangements/whatever and separate those into half hour to 1 hour blocks
Last edited by BigMoneyGuitar at Jun 24, 2017,
Quote by BigMoneyGuitar
You are 100% incorrect in saying that. You aren't practicing properly if you believe 2 hours is more effective than 8-10. That's like saying olympians should only train 2 hours a day. I agree that 8-10 is not necessary, but to say 2 hours is more beneficial is wrong. You don't work on the same thing for all 8 hours, you work on several different techniques/songs/arrangements/whatever and separate those into half hour to 1 hour blocks

So how effective is your practice regime?

I take it you're down to 3-5 hours daily because you're busy reading all the offers of work coming in?
Quote by BigMoneyGuitar

How do you even fit 16 half hour blocks into a day during the school year with non-negligible amounts of time in between?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 2