Hey guys so i was browsing around and found this set of stickers that you slide under you strings an line up with your fret board so that you can learn where they are while you first start playing. i bought a set for my little cousin and it has been helping him a lot. maybe someone here can find them useful as well!

heres the link to them! : http://bit.ly/2tY4WsJ

They have some other cool things on there too.

Let me know what you guys think of em if you get them. or already have them!
Is it the best way to learn the fretboard?  Absolutely not.  Fretboard Warrior is much better.  Actually, I think these stickers would discourage people from learning the notes.  If something is labeled and right in front of you, there's no reason for you memorize it.  People will most likely just use it to cheat, and never actually learn the notes.  But that's just my $0.02.  I'm a cynical asshole, so maybe I'm wrong. 
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Shop is currently down, but my guess using a sticker approach could be bad. One, it seems more likely they will get used to a specific key. Secondly, they are probably going to end up visualizing the fretboard w/ the stickers. Rather than seeing it as one big movable shape w/o the stickers.
Quote by gweddle.nz
Shop is currently down, but my guess using a sticker approach could be bad. One, it seems more likely they will get used to a specific key. Secondly, they are probably going to end up visualizing the fretboard w/ the stickers. Rather than seeing it as one big movable shape w/o the stickers.

I think that's actually the better approach to understanding the fretboard (though stickers won't help). Moveable shapes are an important concept, but in order to use the instrument to full effect you have to understand the fretboard in absolute terms, as well. Over-reliance on position based patterns causes players to get "boxed in" with patterns that conform to the positions they're comfortable playing. 
Quote by jerrykramskoy
cdgraves I think we're agreeing ... purely shape driven is limiting.  Knowing you way around in all directions by intervals definitely is not limiting.  Good point on timbre (string choice for a given pitch etc).  You UK-based?

No, I'm out of Denver, I play mostly in the mountain resorts and other wedding places. 
I think another point to keep in mind is that arguably the most important part of "learning the fretboard" is learning to navigate without looking at it...stickers would just give you even more reason to look at your fretboard when the goal should be to wean yourself off it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I did that for 8 yr olds so they could play a song the first day of class.
Seriously?

Identify one note on the 6th string. A
Put your middle finger there. Your pinky is?
B
Your first finger? C#
How hard is this?
Middle finger is over D.
Pinky is E.

Damn?
All these little training wheel gimmicks that promote themselves as great learning aids are nothing more than a crutch that will end up holding you back. This is not how you memorise the fretboard, by just remembering each individual note by looking at them. You should be learning scale shapes, intervals, triads, chords, fretboard systems like CAGED or 3NPS etc so that your muscle memory has enough references to be able to jump to any note you want without even needing to look. All this will do is make you stare at your fretboard all the time and just tell you where notes are without knowing why they're there or how to figure it out yourself.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Quote by My5Fingers
I did that for 8 yr olds so they could play a song the first day of class.
Seriously?

Identify one note on the 6th string. A
Put your middle finger there. Your pinky is?
B
Your first finger? C#
How hard is this?
Middle finger is over D.
Pinky is E.

Damn?

But note names are entirely unnecessary just to tell a kid to put this finger in this spot. The notes themselves are completely meaningless at that point. The entire point of memorizing the fretboard is to gain a physical and mental understanding of the relationships between the notes. If all you do is learn the note names and positions, you've overlooked the purpose of the process.

A better name for the approach should be *figuring out* the fretboard, not memorizing it. Memorization is a byproduct of having to figure shit out without help.

The best thing my early teachers ever made me do was figure out all the major scales, maj/min/dim/aug triads, and 7th chord inversions. Not look them up and memorize their positions and what notes were in them, but actually figure them out and discover the patterns for myself. The result was that it became impossible NOT to know what I'm playing
Last edited by cdgraves at Jun 29, 2017,