should i try to change my voice when singing or should i just let my natural speaking voice do the singing?

this is kinda hard to explain properly, ill try my best.

so when i try to sing, there is hundreds upon hundreds of different type of sounds that i can apply to my voice, for instance, i can make my voice sound compressed, nasally ect... there is many more different sounds i can do but i simply do not even know how to discribe them, and sadly, none of them sound good at all, some sound better then others, but they are all still border line horrible. when trying to apply changes to the sound of my voice, i feel like i am constricting my vocal range in some way, i feel a tension of some sort in my throat, and this tension prevents my voice from reaching the desired key/pitch i aim for. 

should i not try to change the sound of my voice when singing?  should i just use my natural speaking voice to sing while allowing my voice to sound how ever it naturally sounds? my voice is quite deep naturally and doesnt sound right when trying to sing with my naturall speaking voice.

is what i am saying makes sense to anyone? 

another thing: so lets say i somehow manage to sing on key/pitch perfectly, now, does this mean that my voice will be pleasant to listen to? is key/pitch what makes a singers voice sound good/bad? could i sing on pitch/key perfectly, but still have my voice sounding horrible due to the overall sound of my voice?
Last edited by xxDutchiexx at Jun 23, 2017,
You should always try to sing with your natural voice. Like you already noticed, whenever you apply some sort of "effect" on your voice, you tense up one or more parts of your vocal instrument, and that translate into incorrect technique and decreased vocal range in most cases. If you keep it up a lot, it will also lead to vocal damage. There are ways to sing with raspy voices and scream without much damage (otherwise metal singers would burn out pretty quickly), but again, it takes practice and technique to be able to do those. And it really really helps to have the basic singing technique down before attempting any of those. 

There is also more to singing than just letting your voice sound natural. You need to learn proper breath support, opening up our airways and shaping the vowels. All those things are described in hundreds of youtube videos and web articles. Sadly, its very hard to learn from those. Singing, unlike guitar playing, is not a visual thing, so you dont get the feedback in the same way. What I always recomend is getting a good teacher. He/she will observe your body while singing and will be able to give you actual advice and feedback. I managed to advance more in my first two months of vocal lessons than i did in 7 years of singing before. It also gives you a lot more confidence in your voice, since you see what it can and cant do, and how it sounds.

And about what makes a pleasant voice, well, that depends. People seem to enjoy listening to Ozzy Osbourne, and in my opinion his voice sounds like a dying cat. Brent Hinds even more so, and people still love him. So its a bit subjective what sounds good to people But yes, just because you sing on pitch, doesnt mean that you sound good. You HAVE to sing on pitch to sound good, but its not enough. Thats where the things i mentioned before, like breath control and vowel shape comes into play. When you have those things down, your voice becomes warmer, richer and much more pleasant to listen to. You also learn how to draw the most out of a vocal phrase before ending it, instead of cutting it short. A bunch of details that you dont even notice separately, but when they come together, they make you sound good. Thats why you see a lot of new singers that sing on pitch, but they still sound "meh", or just plain bad. Also, dont underestimate how much better you sing, just because you have confidence in your voice. And knowing the material you are singing by heart also helps a lot.

So yes, get a teacher, thats the best advice i can give you. Just like with guitar, there are no shortcuts here. In fact, its even harder, since you dont see what you are doing. And it takes time as well, you wont be a great singer in a few months. But if you keep at it, i find that its even more rewarding than sticking with guitar.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
There's tricks for guys like you and me who are not the greatest singers... personally I find if I try to sing more in my throat I sound better.. but its all about feeling he groove and most importantly try to make your voice as smooth as possible... honey smooth.. no one likes to hear coarse changes in the vocal notes.. smooth it out and you need to find your own voice.. everyone has their sweet spot
Quote by babysmasher
There's tricks for guys like you and me who are not the greatest singers... personally I find if I try to sing more in my throat I sound better.. but its all about feeling he groove and most importantly try to make your voice as smooth as possible... honey smooth.. no one likes to hear coarse changes in the vocal notes.. smooth it out and you need to find your own voice.. everyone has their sweet spot

at first, i swear you were gonna say the trick for guys like us is "autotune" lmao. i know what u mean though, i noticed that if i try to make my vocals smooth,crisp and clean, i gain a broader vocal range, its just that when i make it smooth, it becomes so deep and i dont like the sound of it.

i recently discovered that if i push out a entire phrase or sentence without cutting off my breath at the end of each word, then i sounds 100x better. kinda like im linking the words together with in the same breath, at this point, to change my pitch all i need to do adjust the amount of air im pushing out. its actually very, very subtle.
you would think that jumping between high and low notes would require a drastic change/shift between the two, but that is not the case for me atleast. it only takes a very subtle adjustment. i think i may be making progress XD
Yea yur definitely right, breathing is a major part of singing.. whenever there's a break in the lyrics you should be trying to fill your lungs back up all the way.. be aware of how hard your pushing the air out while your singing as well.. Nice and easy when you can and harder when you wanna belt it out..

Also being aware that what your doing is just flexing your vocal chords to hit different pitches.. it takes some muscle memory to get the hang off..
Quote by babysmasher
Yea yur definitely right, breathing is a major part of singing.. whenever there's a break in the lyrics you should be trying to fill your lungs back up all the way.. be aware of how hard your pushing the air out while your singing as well.. Nice and easy when you can and harder when you wanna belt it out..  

Also being aware that what your doing is just flexing your vocal chords to hit different pitches.. it takes some muscle memory to get the hang off..

exactly! its insane how different my voice sounds when compared to a month ago ( thats when i first started to practice singing).
what you mentioned is pretty much what i been focusing on learning, it just makes so much sense lmao.
 and speaking of belting it out, how do you prefer to do it? 
for me, its more like "controlled yelling" rather then singing @.@ 
you know them type of songs like Adel:hello or rihanna:stay....how their voices just have this power to them when they unleash their voices. how does one do that? i tried to build up air in my lungs, compact it and then let it fly out like a bat out of hell, sadly, it was so bad that my neighbors actually came over to see if everything was ok...not even joking lol.
Yea for me it is like a controlled yell as well.. You can't just let your voice go wild or it will be off key and crack etc.. Make sure you've got a lot of air in your lungs and keep control of your pitch.. I don't think it's really that much different from singing normally except that your using more air to increase the volume.. Like I said before it's all about feel. When your really getting it I find you can feel the vibrations right through your skull..

Singers like Adele are probably going to be out of reach to match their skill.. Theyve had tons of training to be able to have that control of their voice and are blessed with outstanding range.. You can widen your singing range with practice but there's a ceiling for everyone where they won't be able to surpass..

The more and more you practise you will find the particular nuances of your voice and then you need to try to utilize those unique aspects.. Find your voice and sing the way that you sound good. Sounds like you are on the right track.

You may want to look up a YouTube tutorial on singing voices and the differences between head, chest and middle voice
babysmasher 

you make tons of sense, i have indeed found a few parts of various songs that i can sing really well, so much so that i actually surprise myself at how good it sounds. does not even sound like its me that is singing it. when i sing any word with the vowel of "O", its sounds freaking great, like professional type of great @.@ 
not sure why, it seems like just some parts of certain songs are just perfect for my voice. i found that when i practice a specific part of a song, if i keep at it long enough, i end up stumbling upon a way to make it sound amazingly perfect. for instance, 

riahnna:stay: the part of " throw my hands in the air and said show me something"....i sing very very well, also the part " its not much of a life your living"....i can sing it so good....everything else is rubbish though. 

the only reason i even continue to practice singing is because of how well i can sing certain parts of songs, i mean, this must mean i have the potential to sing the entire song just as good, with enough practice that is....or so i hope lol.