Hello
Ok so my dad made a proposition for me that if i play him 20 songs that he will buy me an electric guitar (im 16) and so i kind of learned like 15 songs and half assed the others and i got through 7 songs and it went awfully i usually can play the songs very well when im in my room alone but jeez. 
It was so embarrassing he said i was doing great and fine but i felt so shitty cause i played them awfully and barely knew some songs. So i just stopped there and said to give me a day cause i was playing so bad and he went on and told me that everyone goes through rough patches and how during his tennis years he would just get in the zone sometimes and other times be awful but i still feel shitty cause i don't want to disappoint him and for him to think that i'm not that great at guitar when really i'm not bad for how long i've been playing i just played really awful. 
Your dad did that as a sneaky way to help you get better and use your goals to improve. If you played him a few shitty songs and he said you were doing great it's because he's proud of your progress. He's obviously very supportive. Don't fuck up a great thing because of your own lack of confidence. Practice, everyone around you is going to like what you play regardless of how well you play it right now. Many people don't get this from their parents.

We all sounded bad in our first couple of years. It's a lifetime instrument, and you've got quite a bit of it left. Bang out Nirvana songs and have fun. Being "good" should be a very distant second to having fun.

Also, inb4 Fat Lard multi.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
What you need is a new amp
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Well, this is a common thing. People often overlook variables in playing involving settings. When you normally play, you are by yourself in your usual spot with nobody to listen or judge you. Suddenly you play in a different space with someone watching and a sense of pressure. That thing they call stage fright. This throws you off your game not just mentally but also physically due to things like adrenaline. This is something that is perfectly normal and happens to remember.

Just remember that different conditions affect your playing and the more uncomfortable and unfamiliar the conditions the worse you will likely play. In a way, being able to remain mentally balanced under pressure or less than ideal conditions is a "skill" of sorts in its own right. You just have to play in front of more people more often and practice in different conditions and over time it will alleviate these problems to some extent, though there are some people who are naturally more comfortable and adapt better and have almost no stage fright while there are other people, including a lot of very famous and successful performers, that never fully get over stage fright.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Stop being so hard on yourself. It's just music. It's supposed to be fun and entertaining.

I played pretty poorly for my senior recital in college because I was so nervous. I could have beat myself up over it very easily. But many of my classmates would shit on themselves whenever they didn't play something perfect, and I knew that I never wanted to be that way, so I didn't. 

Learn the things you want to learn for your own enjoyment. Forget about what you think other people expect of you.
i've been playing for about 10 years and I don't think i could even bang out 5 whole songs from memory.

don't beat yourself up.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
The fact that you care is a good thing. I know of guitar players that have played for years and can barely play. Just keep practicing , practice along to the tracks and repeat them as much as you need to. Learning songs can be repetitive and boring but after you've learned it all you'll feel accomplished. Play it over and over until you won't even have to worry about messing up, it'll become natural.

Even if you're not good...We all start out somewhere... Just keep trying
It takes about a year of solid practice to get "good", don't worry about it mate it sounds like you're doing well

And playing in front of people for the first time is always nerve wracking
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by jacobfatlard
Hello
Ok so my dad made a proposition for me that if i play him 20 songs that he will buy me an electric guitar (im 16) and so i kind of learned like 15 songs and half assed the others and i got through 7 songs and it went awfully i usually can play the songs very well when im in my room alone but jeez. 
It was so embarrassing he said i was doing great and fine but i felt so shitty cause i played them awfully and barely knew some songs. So i just stopped there and said to give me a day cause i was playing so bad and he went on and told me that everyone goes through rough patches and how during his tennis years he would just get in the zone sometimes and other times be awful but i still feel shitty cause i don't want to disappoint him and for him to think that i'm not that great at guitar when really i'm not bad for how long i've been playing i just played really awful. 

Just an FYI, your first 'proper' job interview - as in, that has more questions than "do you have any holiday booked" and "can you start tomorrow" - will feel like this. Not just for you, but also for most of the others interviewing for it.
yeah when you play infront of others, you forget to really be in the zone and feel the strings in the relaxed way you usually do with your fingers. you start to float out of your body and see yourself from an outside perspective and this distracts you. here is my combo list which alieviates this pressure maybe it'll help you

-1 or 2 joints of cannabis
- 0.1g - 0.3g ketamine
- 3 to 4 shots of jack
- 1mg - 2mg xanax
- 3 to 4 tabs of 125ug lsd
- one or two lines of coke to keep you up
- one pill of propanolol in the morning
- modafinil, 100mg in the morning
- DXM, as much as you can swallow

after taking all these you will feel like jimi hendrix and your dad will throw money at you.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
So what's the problem? You dad didn't set a time limit on this right?
Its a good thing that your dad is being supportive AND offering to buy you a new guitar. Also, I'm pretty sure he doesn't want you to play all 20 songs back to back. Have you ever seen that happen at a show? (Spoiler alert: it doesn't).

Just try hard at learning each song fully, and then play a few songs a day to him. Even if you did it one song per day, that only 20 days.

Remember to relax and enjoy your playing. That's the most important thing here.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I've written around 120 songs, I have albums on every major digital distributor (itunes, google, spotify, etc)  And even I can only play like 7 songs to their entirety. 
Lol why not just record yourself playing if you do fine when you play alone?
actually i should say this all jokes aside... if you find something you are bad at, or perform and you are nervous, you are lucky because you have descovered some areas of improvement. one thing you will notice about performing, is that the more you perform in front of others, the better you sound when you're on your own. developing how to play guitar is only a small part of learning, you then have to learn how to perform. but it will be amazing for you, and it is something new to learn, something which is often neglected. if your dad is willing to sit there and listen to you play that many songs ur a lucky dude, he is helping you learn how to perform.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
We've all been there.  You practice and get everything down cold and first performance 1/2 of it goes out the window. Welcome to live music. 
Last week we played a gig for a local city street fair.  Our set is pretty solid but on one song that I have played the solo 500 times I just started the opening riff  in the wrong key.  I was all alone with no one to cover the mistake.  I laid an egg, dropped a clam, blew potatoes.  Since the first riff was horribly wrong I went in a totally different direction playing avant-garde riffs finally resolving it with the signature ending hook back in the right key.  Whew!  I wanted to throw up but Miles Davis probably would have liked it.  Live music is full of surprises both good and bad.

Some simply accept defeat and move on to golf or video games.  Some accept this as a challenge and double down with renewed determination.  I am practicing this solo 30x today so it will go smoothly and relaxed in the right key at our gig tonight.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by stratkat
I've written around 120 songs, I have albums on every major digital distributor (itunes, google, spotify, etc)  And even I can only play like 7 songs to their entirety. 

yeah but you make tasty electro jams
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Don't be hard on yourself. It's not unforgivable to come apart in front of other people if you're not used to it, because of stage fright. Most likely, you were having even more stage fright in front of your dad because it's just one person who knows you well, you wanted to be absolutely perfect for him and a prize was at stake - that's quite a bit of pressure. I'm also guessing this was your first time or one of your first few times performing in front of other people. It's perfectly normal.

Just keep at it, don't get depressed, because everyone who's ever done something worth doing has had myriad difficulties. Your dad was great for being supportive. Make sure to have another go, play through for him, and earn that electric.

I promise you, if you don't give up it'll get to a point where you'll find playing most songs as simple and easy as talking.
Keep this in mind for performing:

- Fake it till you make it. Act confident even if you don't feel too sure. Don't show that you're nervous. Be relaxed. You've got time, they've got time. Don't try to start the next song too quickly. Don't worry about getting it perfect - if it sounds okay to you, it sounds great to your audience. Keep your eyes up, make eye contact. Make some silly faces at your dad while playing. :P
- Most people who don't play instruments themselves won't be able to spot your mistakes, so DO NOT get derailed if you make a mistake, just pick it back up without even showing that you did something wrong. If you get derailed and try to go back to fix it, they'll know something wrong. They won't know if you just continue with the rest of the song correctly.
- Play in front of other people often. Whenever they ask. You need to get used to playing in front of others.

Best of luck. I hope you keep at it and earn that guitar. 

Here, one of those motivational poster thingamabobs, ala that awesome 'Trolling Emo Posts' thread except it's true:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A0IeIpiCMAAMZh_.jpg
tell him your current guitar doesnt play right and you need the new one to fix the problem 
Quote by jacobfatlard
Hello

Atta boy son, keep going for gold
Quote by k.lainad
What you need is a new amp

And a full stack.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Don't be too hard on yourself OP, we all start hoping to sound like the guitarists of our favorite bands only to come to the shocking conclusion that we just aren't quite there yet. Its okay to be bad when you're new at something. If the guitarists whom we call "talented and amazing" gave up when they thought they sounded terrible, this world would be missing a lot of talented players and good sounding music. 

So don't be too hard on yourself, so long as you sound better than the time you last played, it means you're getting better, and that's what you should build on.
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
I have been playing music for a decade and I still feel like you're describing all the time. Your dad set you a goal I could not do at your level, and one that a lot of people could not do at your level, and from what you've said, he is very proud that you've attempted it. You've proved, if nothing else, that him buying you that electric guitar is a worthwhile cause because you obviously love guitar enough that he wants you to be happy and he believes you can do it
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
You're probably not bad; just keep practicing. I suck ass because I hardly ever practice and mostly noodle.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i've been playing for about 10 years and I don't think i could even bang out 5 whole songs from memory.

Really?
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by zgr0826
Really?
a bit of an exaggeration i guess.

i just don't really practice at all anymore and i'm super fuzzy on a lot of stuff i used to know.

also i'm mediocre at best skill-wise. never practiced proper fingering (lol) or anything like i should have.

and now with my new job my hands are borderline non-functional from repetitive motion pains.

it'll probably get better, but i tried to pick up my guitar the other day and i physically couldn't play anything.

(does it bother anyone that i write like this? one sentence, then spaced like it's its own paragraph? )
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
dude, I've been playing like 10 years now, and I'm absolute garbage. I still play cause it's fun, and I like music

Just stick with it. Don't worry about your dad thinking you aren't good at guitar. He's watching you start from nothing and make all kinds of progress, and he clearly wants to support your music. We've all been where you're at. I'm always way worse in front of people unless they're close friends, and sometimes your hands just act dumb for no reason

don't try to learn them all at once. just sit on a couple songs and show him how you progress on them. I bet he'll really like seeing how you improve
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
jakesmellspoo
I know that repetitive motion pain feel. Turns out I had osteoarthritis in my hands, and my doc put me on meloxicam. Now I can finger style play Battery on bass again.

Check into it
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
zgr0826i will if it continues, but i'm only a little over a week into this job, so it should get better.

finally got to the store last night and got some Aleve and it's working a lot better than taking a shitload of Advil all day.
I get occasional pains in my wrists/fingers for no discernable reason. I'll just wake up in the morning & they hurt & I can't play guitar that day. Then the next day I'm usually OK. I am like an old man or something wtf.
clinically depressed? how do you feel about tight pants, bands that rhyme with boilermaker and rimjobs? 

pm RylanThePotato for more details! 

you have a great dad
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by CaptainCanti
dont cry because its over
smile because it happened

Columbine.
Quote by ehbacon
i don't think i can take two fat lards on one forum
I like this one better, they're still adorable at least