Hello, 

Just picked up  this Kramer for next to nothing. 

Its missing the locking nuts and whammy bar, but other than that looks mint.

Serial number is SC 7169

Doesn't look too old, guess its a cheapo copy, the floyd rose looks cast unlike my Charvel.

What do people think? 

Last edited by gravyYelp at Jun 24, 2017,
I'm going to guess 1988-1989 since it's a pointy head (89 was the last year they made this line).  The trem is a Floyd Rose II with fine tuners and is made out of cast iron, the good news is an OFR is a direct swap (if ever needed).  That's a minty looking Kramer happy NGD. It's not a cheapo copy, it's an original in great shape, which isn't that rare to come by.    
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jun 24, 2017,
The Strikers themselves were cheap copies <*ducks, runs*>. It's likely that the body is a laminate or plywood-style piece. As Way Cool JR. notes, this is likely a late-80's guitar.
Quote by dspellman
The Strikers themselves were cheap copies <*ducks, runs*>. It's likely that the body is a laminate or plywood-style piece. As Way Cool JR.  notes, this is likely a late-80's guitar.

They are real Kramer's, just the bottom of their line, but lots of people like how they play/sound.  They are mostly ply but there are also some that are made of solid wood.  IMO there's nothing wrong with old ply guitars (just not desirable by the majority) they still sound good (subjective) and will still last a lifetime if taken care of.        
Thanks for the replies. 

What kind of locking nut would you recomment? Would something like this be ok?

https://tinyurl.com/y9wdx74u 

How do alter the string height? I cant see any height adjustment screws.
Last edited by gravyYelp at Jun 24, 2017,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
They are real Kramer's, just the bottom of their line, but lots of people like how they play/sound.  They are mostly ply but there are also some that are made of solid wood.  IMO there's nothing wrong with old ply guitars (just not desirable by the majority) they still sound good (subjective) and will still last a lifetime if taken care of.        

I have no issues with inexpensive guitars; if it plays well and sounds great, I'm very happy. My reply was mostly just to add a bit of information.

To gravyYelp Locking nuts vary in quality, and you may want to replace the locking nut with a real Floyd Rose version should you ever replace the bridge itself. But the nuts you're looking at are the right thing. Height is usually determined by shimming beneath the nut (this may be a guitar tech thing if you've never done it before). Measure the nut width on your current nut and measure the string spacing, center to center. This information will help you get the right nut for your guitar. Most nuts come with a fixed radius as well, so you may want to get that measured to make sure that you have the correct radius for your guitar, or as close to correct as you can get. Some modifications may have to be done to the nut.
dspellman Thanks for the reply.

So I need to replace the nut with deeper slots, rather that making the slots deeper myself?

I'd like to have ago myself, I didn't pay much for the axe so I don't mind if I mess it up.
Quote by gravyYelp
dspellman Thanks for the reply.

So I need to replace the nut with deeper slots, rather that making the slots deeper myself?

I'd like to have a go myself, I didn't pay much for the axe so I don't mind if I mess it up.

I hope you have a feeler gauge if you're going to deal with lowering the nut. You cant to make sure that the strings are JUST high enough that they clear the first fret with the bridge very low. With a Floyd-style nut, it's sometimes easiest to remove the nut and see what's underneath it. Sometimes there are thin metal (or other material) "shims" that raise it slightly. If you remove one or more of these, the entire nut will lower. If there are no shims, you may be able to sand the "shelf" slightly (make sure you do so evenly) to lower the nut just a bit. Here's an old forum thread that discusses it: http://www.aguitarforum.com/threads/how-do-i-lower-locking-nut-height.61358/