Hi, I have about four or five years experience playing guitar. However, I haven't seriously played guitar in about five years (I've attempted something every like five or six months but couldn't).

The reason I stopped is that my muscles started getting really sore all the time at first, mixed with never having anything to play when I actually tried to play near the end.

So my question is, what would be a good way to get back into guitar with my experience and break gap? Unfortunately I don't have a car so  it's hard to get to lessons, which I think is what I really need at this point.

My muscle memory is sorta okay, but I can't move my fingers as well as I did when I was playing obviously. I also have no idea how to warm up before I play, never have - so my fingers/hand end up sore really fast. 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Something renewed your interest, what was it?  Play that.  Everyone can use practice on the fundamentals and vocabulary.  The CAGED system and common scale patterns for the music you like.  Everything you want to know is on Youtube now so break out your axe and dig in.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Start out slow.  I did the same thing recently and went form zero to like 2-4 hours of playing a day again.  My left wrist was killing me and I bruised the pinky on my fretting hand 3 times (literally it was purple, thought I got a bite) as I also lift weights and the combo of hours of practicing guitar and than lifting weights with those same hands right after was not something my body was ready for. 
Maybe I should say you need to get back to scales or chords or whatever. But, does it really have to be anything specific like that, I mean why not try to discover something new, different while just noodling around, color outside the lines. If there are any rules...try to break'em. Also, next time, relax, maybe try playing in a classical style position, it worked wonders for my sore neck and shoulders.

also...a new amp works wonders too, that'll get those juices flowing again, eh?
Flying in a blue dream
Sorry everyone on the late replies! I got swamped at work and entirely forgot about here.
Quote by Cajundaddy
 Something renewed your interest, what was it?  Play that.  Everyone can use practice on the fundamentals and vocabulary.  The CAGED system and common scale patterns for the music you like.  Everything you want to know is on Youtube now so break out your axe and dig in.

Cajundaddy Nothing renewed my interest, per say. I've always had the interest and want to be a guitarist but for a long while I was just unable to do it for various reasons (excuses, really). But now that I have more time in my life I want to be able to play songs that make me feel good or that I would enjoy playing.
Quote by risingforce1
Start out slow.  I did the same thing recently and went form zero to like 2-4 hours of playing a day again.  My left wrist was killing me and I bruised the pinky on my fretting hand 3 times (literally it was purple, thought I got a bite) as I also lift weights and the combo of hours of practicing guitar and than lifting weights with those same hands right after was not something my body was ready for. 

risingforce1 Thanks for the heads up! I've found that when I play my fingers do get a little sore if I'm trying to play electric guitar (not that I was ever very good at electric, and having a les paul just does not help with the pain at all). How long did it take you to get into the swing of things, out of interest?
Quote by SanDune65
Maybe I should say you need to get back to scales or chords or whatever. But, does it really have to be anything specific like that, I mean why not try to discover something new, different while just noodling around, color outside the lines. If there are any rules...try to break'em. Also, next time, relax, maybe try playing in a classical style position, it worked wonders for my sore neck and shoulders.

also...a new amp works wonders too, that'll get those juices flowing again, eh?

SanDune65 I can surprisingly still do chords just fine. I already started looking at scales a little because I never bothered to learn them in the first place, and my fingering technique for things other than chords is probably the rustiest. 

I actually have a brand new amp that I could never really use because it's just so damn loud haha. People kept threatening to call the police, if you had it half way to volume level 1. (15 watt peavy amp. One of the ones with all the effects built into it - has too many for me to even know how to use it haha!)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll post an update eventually as a little guide on how I got back into things, if I manage it!
risingforce1 Thanks for the heads up! I've found that when I play my fingers do get a little sore if I'm trying to play electric guitar (not that I was ever very good at electric, and having a les paul just does not help with the pain at all). How long did it take you to get into the swing of things, out of interest?

The first month was bad.  I think after about 6 weeks I was fine but I had to "take it easy a few days" and there were some days where I forced myself to not play even though I wantd to but I knew my hands needed a rest.  Or I just played acoustic for a half hour to keep the callouses going but not kill my wrist.