As the title states do you play a different pick for different style guitars?

Im trying to find a good medium right now so i dont have to carry around a bunch of different picks.

I really love the tone on acoustics with light picks .5-.8
Electric rhythm im trying out 1.0, 1.14 was too thick for my liking

And stiff jazzIII's for lead when i need to play fast. I have trouble being consistent when i choke up on full picks and love the sharp point

Im on the search for a good pick that i can use on acoustics and electric that i like. If i could get something a little bigger than the jazzIIIs in that style i think id be in heaven.
I use different picks for every instrument, playing style, genre, day of the week, and weather condition. I still haven't found any picks that I like despite having like hundreds of different picks. Each has its flaws and some have nothing but flaw.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I use thinner picks for acoustic since they work better for me when strumming.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
I mix picks freely.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Nope.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I use a medium pick for playing chords and a harder one for lead lines / solos when recording; but don't change when performing.
I use a very hard thick one on the Mandolin for everything.

Suggest you play about with a variety of them and chose which works best for you.
I almost alway use my fingers.  I don't really use pick much at all but when I did I liked thin soft picks for acoustic and medium stiff picks for electric.  Now days If I need a pick I use a penny because I usually have one in my pocket.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by N8dagreat3
As the title states do you play a different pick for different style guitars?

Fender Medium (or similar; I don't care much about brand) for acoustic *most* of the time.

Gravity Picks Razer standard 2mm for electric. More accurately, I've been using the signature Chapman picks, which are Razer 2mm in a different color with his signature (makes for a better grip) and a different texture on the edges (meh...).
I use Jim Dunlop Tortex (and Ultex Sharp) .73 for pretty much everything. I have a variety of others for different purposes (I quite like thick nylon picks when I want a softer kinda tone on acoustic), but I always go back to .73s
Dunlop sells variety packs. Get one of those and try them out to see what you like.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I use my fingernails, but I have been thinking recently that I should be using a thumbpick for electric to get better string damping. I used to use one for acoustic, before I took up electric, when my thumb nail developed fault that lasted about 15 years, but I stopped when the nail eventually returned to normal.
Dunlop Nylon 0.7 for acoustic guitar as it seems softer Even matchpik work for chords. I like to finger pick with the acoustic a lot. With the electric guitar I use Dunlop Gator grips .7 or 0.9 with humbucking pickups and Fender celluloid medium with Strats.
i think its best to settle on one and use it for everything. once you get accustomed to it you won't even think about it.
Quote by BADGAS
i think its best to settle on one and use it for everything. once you get accustomed to it you won't even think about it.

I used to think that.
If you keep your acoustic and electric at the same action height and you strum away at the same songs with each one, and if you really don't use your electric's pickups all that much and if you really aren't trying to build any speed on the electric but still want smooth strumming on the acoustic, maybe that's a good thing for you.
dspellman i still think i can do ALL that and more with my trusty dunlop nylon 1.00, but thanks for sharing. i bet its fun bringing and keeping up with all those picks at a live gig in the dark.
Quote by BADGAS
dspellman i still think i can do ALL that and more with my trusty dunlop nylon 1.00, but thanks for sharing. i bet its fun bringing and keeping up with all those picks at a live gig in the dark.

If i lose a pick its gone, im not worried about picking it up. Even at my house when im practicing if I dont like how the pick is playing i just flick it and grab a different one. I keep them all organized so its an easy transfer. But i get what youre saying, right now im playing everything on dunlops 1.0 mm tortex I like it but if i was strictly acoustic id go thinner. But like you said i dont want to bring a bunch of different picks around playing and have to be constantly changing.
Quote by BADGAS

I mostly don't carry both acoustic and electric to a live gig. If I'm doing an acoustic thing, it's acoustic. If I need electric and acoustic *sound* at a gig, I'm usually just carrying the Variax guitars, which do both. If I've got to "keep up" with picks, they're usually found stuck to a roll of gaffer tape along one edge of the guitar. Hopefully, I've remembered to put the right picks on the right guitars . Honestly, I've rarely lost a pick at a gig. It's usually at home, where I put one down and the cats decide it should be somewhere else.
I use a 3mm gravity pick on electric, took some getting use to but can't do without now.
Fixing to buy an acoustic, and would likely use something with more flex, as a lot of acoustic work is either strumming or finger picking.
I'm basically in the same boat as you OP. I generally like .88s or 1s for Electric, lighter picks for acoustic and then something a bit heavy for bass.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by dspellman
I mostly don't carry both acoustic and electric to a live gig. If I'm doing an acoustic thing, it's acoustic. If I need electric and acoustic *sound* at a gig, I'm usually just carrying the Variax guitars, which do both. If I've got to "keep up" with picks, they're usually found stuck to a roll of gaffer tape along one edge of the guitar. Hopefully, I've remembered to put the right picks on the right guitars . Honestly, I've rarely lost a pick at a gig. It's usually at home, where I put one down and the cats decide it should be somewhere else.

I always keep a ridiculous amount of picks on me even when practicing. The first time on stage I dropped the only pick i brought into the sound hole of my acoustic guitar. I spent the rest of the song trying to get it out. That experience changed my life, not only do i keep at least 10 picks near by, im a pro at getting them out if it happens.
I use .73mm picks for everything but I recently switched to .3mm stainless steel picks for my punk band because I can get better string scrapes with it. Otherwise, no. But really, it sounds like most of you guys put too much emphasis on your picks. They're just picks, you can use just about anything - if you can actually play.   
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I use .73mm picks for everything but I recently switched to .3mm stainless steel picks for my punk band because I can get better string scrapes with it. Otherwise, no. But really, it sounds like most of you guys put too much emphasis on your picks. They're just picks, you can use just about anything - if you can actually play.   

Im not going to just grab some random pick when im trying to get paid. I need it to sound good and consistent.
I use whatever pick I can grab when it's time to play. I have a tin on top of my amp that's got at least 4 different styles of pick. Whatever's on top is the one I go with.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Cathbard

I can use just about anything. And I suck equally.

But I *feel* better when I use picks I like.
Man, I've gigged with the plastic clip from a bag of bread.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I like a stiff pick these days. Ultex 1.14 for me for everything. Just got to get used to the fact that you can't be a puss when strumming an acoustic. You get used to it. 

20 years ago, I loved Fender mediums. You do and can change your opinion over time. I'm not married to my picks, if I find a better one, I'll switch in a heartbeat. 

I'd probably be using those 3mm V-picks if they weren't $5.00 and clear...
I'm not that particular. If there is one nearby, then great.

But I'm not too picky.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
I use Jim Dunlop Tortex (and Ultex Sharp) .73 for pretty much everything. I have a variety of others for different purposes (I quite like thick nylon picks when I want a softer kinda tone on acoustic), but I always go back to .73s

I like the .73 but .68 is more my fit on an acoustic.  I just bought a Taylor 320sb last year and I find I like even thinner picks on that, but it's dunlops all the way.  You ever break those Ultex? I seem to break them fairly frequently playing live, so I've gone back to orange tortex.  When I'm doing intricate lead work on my electric I use tiny (nickel/dime size) fat dunlop jazz picks, but for most electric I stick with the orange tortex.
While I don't own an acoustic, I feel like its a bit easier to strum an acoustic with a floppy/bendy with a roundish tip pick (how thick it is, I dunno, I guess maybe a medium?). For my electrics, I just go to this shiny red Dunlop Jazz III for all the soloing and strumming. No idea why I pick this, but it seems to work.
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Last edited by Parac at Jul 2, 2017,
i've used a quarter, or the corner a credit card in a pinch.

the quarter isn't as easy though.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Yes, I use different picks for each different type of plucked string instrument I play, depending on what works best for me for the type of techniques that are more frequently employed by that particular instrument. I'm really, REALLY particular about the feel/response of things - action, string gauge, picks. For me this isn't really about tone, it's about getting the right feeling from the instrument, because I'm a very tactile player.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.