Can someone give me some insight on how to do this?

Maybe post some tab for me?

Maybe just give me some basic info on how to get fast?

Thank you!
Well you would want to have the scales down so that you can play them with little if any effort... second nature so to speak... then you would want to know the varies positions on the fret-board that the scales are located so that you can link them up and for example play from one end of the fret-board to the other.

edit.... also picking hand technique is another "key".
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jun 25, 2017,
Guitaraxe

I have the 5 pentatonic patterns down pretty good and same with my picking. I was hoping to find some tablature to use to practice a little more!

When I play the pentatonic patterns, can I use any of the notes inside the pentatonic patterns?
That's cool. Try linking them up. Ya, you can grab some notes here and there if it sounds good.

You might check out some Paul Gilbert youtube lessons for some Pentatonic patters and runs... he's pretty good.... something like "paul gilbert pentatonic lesson" ..
Quote by Guitaraxe
That's cool. Try linking them up. Ya, you can grab some notes here and there if it sounds good.

You might check out some Paul Gilbert youtube lessons for some Pentatonic patters and runs... he's pretty good.... something like "paul gilbert pentatonic lesson" ..

If I find a couple notes I like the sound of within a pentatonic pattern, is it acceptable to move it up and down the fret board?
Quote by jeff198901
If I find a couple notes I like the sound of within a pentatonic pattern, is it acceptable to move it up and down the fret board?

(imo) Yep.  Movable patterns at different octaves up and down the fret-board is acceptable.
Quote by jeff198901
Guitaraxe

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

NP!
The question to ask yourself is how the pentatonic works with the backing chords.  UNderstanding how the pitches work with (or against) the chord(s).

For example, try using Gm pent against a blues in G   (G7, C7, D7), and deliberately not emphasise any pentatonic note that is a semitone ABOVE any chord tone.  So, against G7, don't emphasise the note C, while against C7, don'e emphasise the F.and against the D7, don't empasise the G, or Bb.

As far as shredding.

Try playing horizontally across the 5 patterns, just using any pair of strings.  Sounds best on B and G or E and B.

For example, in G min pentatonic  (sl/  means slide up; st bend means bend up 1 semitone (1 fret))

e: 
b: ---- 1 3 sl/ 6 3 --------------  6 8 /sl 10 st bend to 11
g: 0 3 -------------  5 3 sl/ 5  7 --------------------------------

The above starts in the 5th region of the perntatonic for the first four notes, and  the last of those is also part of the region 1 shape.
The lick runs through the 5th region, then 1st region, then 2nd region and ends in 3rd region.

Repeat same idea starting in 1st region of the pentatonic. so it runs from region 1 to 4, using appropriate notes.  Then start on 2nd region.  Etc.

Try variations on the pattern.

Reverse ... come back down the strings.

Or you can try 3nps, joining the regions together (maybe tapping the top note of the 3 notes on each string).

Or play vertically across the strings using groups of fives.  I.e. play note, descend 4 more, and then jump back to first of those, play that and descend 4 more etc.  Do same in reverse.

Or mix with bends and taps (Van Halen).

There are tons of ideas.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jun 26, 2017,
Try learning some Metallica solos. Kirk mainly shreds with pentatonic licks.
;list=PL8eesLYRSKcakgnoKI_2BknellzkcYrot
One thing that helped me was to map the scale out on paper.. start by drawing all the roots in one color, then the 3rds in another color, then the 4ths in another color etc.. then when u are improvising and you come across an interval u like or a bend that sounds great, it is really easy to look and see where else on the fret board you can use them
I basically learned to shred by getting good at at alternative picking , i was into stuff like death/black metal in my earlier days so those tremolo picked riffs i learned to play early on , then i applied those techniques to the minor scales when improving over backing tracks , i usually do to three note per string patters  all over the scale and it works well for me .