Maybe around 7 years ago I played a lot by myself, read up on a lot of music theory by doing multiple online courses, some free some paid.  I tried playing with others but didn't feel like my skill level was all that great and had major major anxiety.

I am not one to give up but I have been very busy over the last few years getting a degree.  Now I have more time to start up again.

Any suggestions on where to begin?  Are there any good free online courses that will refresh my music theory memory?

I want to be able to compose my own songs soon.
When I was learning, I got an app on my iPad (but you could get it on a phone, too) called Music Theory and Practice by Musicopoulis that helped tremendously. It's less than $5, and it explains everything in detail and then provides quizzes to check comprehension and drill the material. Great stuff!
Quote by WinryEmber
When I was learning, I got an app on my iPad (but you could get it on a phone, too) called Music Theory and Practice by Musicopoulis that helped tremendously. It's less than $5, and it explains everything in detail and then provides quizzes to check comprehension and drill the material. Great stuff!
definitely going to check that out