Maybe around 7 years ago I played a lot by myself, read up on a lot of music theory by doing multiple online courses, some free some paid.  I tried playing with others but didn't feel like my skill level was all that great and had major major anxiety.

I am not one to give up but I have been very busy over the last few years getting a degree.  Now I have more time to start up again.

Any suggestions on where to begin?  Are there any good free online courses that will refresh my music theory memory?

I want to be able to compose my own songs soon.
When I was learning, I got an app on my iPad (but you could get it on a phone, too) called Music Theory and Practice by Musicopoulis that helped tremendously. It's less than $5, and it explains everything in detail and then provides quizzes to check comprehension and drill the material. Great stuff!
Quote by WinryEmber
When I was learning, I got an app on my iPad (but you could get it on a phone, too) called Music Theory and Practice by Musicopoulis that helped tremendously. It's less than $5, and it explains everything in detail and then provides quizzes to check comprehension and drill the material. Great stuff!
definitely going to check that out
I think, it would be a great idea to learn playing songs. Since you're getting back to playing, it would be great to get into things that inspire you to play. It will help you come to terms with why you want to in the first place. Most importantly, it will keep making you coming back to playing again and again. Keep it fun.

Also, learn theory. There are many websites that give you a sound reportoire of theoretical concepts. It will bring you clarity in the things you play, and helps you communicate better.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Quote by fupashredder
Maybe around 7 years ago I played a lot by myself, read up on a lot of music theory by doing multiple online courses, some free some paid.  I tried playing with others but didn't feel like my skill level was all that great and had major major anxiety.

I am not one to give up but I have been very busy over the last few years getting a degree.  Now I have more time to start up again.

Any suggestions on where to begin?  Are there any good free online courses that will refresh my music theory memory?

I want to be able to compose my own songs soon.

There’s something to be said for just sitting & playing. You might be surprised at how the rust & dust fall away.

I started teaching myself the guitar after playing cello for years. I figured I already knew one striped instrument, so.... But after a certain point, I got stymied, plateaued, and frustrated. But when I tried a tuning related to that used by the cello? It unlocked everything that I had learned on that instrument. Practicing in that tuning let me relax and just play...

And when I returned to standard tuning, things had changed. I was more comfortable with the guitar. Even in standard tuning, I played better. I had better technique. (I still needed a REAL teacher for a while, though, TBH.)

I’d imagine in your case, progress would be even easier, since it’s reawakening your old skills, not learning new ones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz Good advice given that you are a lawyer and all.  I started a few months ago after a 20 year absence.  Brushed up on some theory, gained an appreciation for understanding the fretboard and started playing the songs I liked back in the day.  Dexterity has almost returned to where it was and I have made an effort to correct some serious technique problems self-taught to myself over 40 years ago. But playing what I knew did the trick for me.  Always played finger style and am now starting to learn some flatpicking.  Mostly I am having fun.

Oh, BTW, my wife used to be a lawyer. Happily, she can still think like one; a good set of skills to have.
I have made an effort to correct some serious technique problems self-taught to myself over 40 years ago.

Correcting my self-taught errors was the main thing I needed my teacher to do. (Arrogance can set you up for some serious ugly.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz Didn't Frank Lloyd Wright say that he preferred an honest arrogance to a false humility?  But, I don't think that Wright played the guitar.
Basically!

“Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose the former and have seen no reason to change." - Frank Lloyd Wright

If I had the chops, I’d compose some “synesthetic” tunes based on FLW’s architecture and designs. Love his stuff.

dannyalcatraz Off topic, but, when I was in college, I dated a young woman whose father was private secretary to Edgar Kaufman during the construction of "Falling Water" at Bear Run, PA.  (I'm originally from Pittsburgh)  A stranger connection to my family is that Morris Kaufman, Edgar's father, fitted my father's first pair of long pants.  The world is a very small ghetto. 
Tinier than we realize, most often.