I'm wondering if there is a book or an online lesson or anything that can give me a path to learn guitar. All of my learning thus far has been very scattered and unorganized and I just wish I had some sort of path to feel as tho I am actually progressing? ANy suggestions on books I should read, I really don't want to take classes I'm more of  self taught kind of person and don't wanna spend much money just need a bit of guidance.
You know the answer. Take lessons. There's nothing that can replace them. You don't have to take them for the rest of your life, take several and see how it goes. And then go for books and videos.
Learn songs by ear. Your "lessons" are the songs themselves.
A painter grasps light, color, and perspective, a sculptor grasps shape, texture, and form, a dancer grasps motion, inertia, and gravity.
A musician grasps tonality, rhythm, and harmony by hearing them.
There are lots of methods (patterns, shapes, naming systems, etc.) that use visual and verbal modes that may initially satisfy the "wish I had some sort of path to feel as tho I am actually progressing", but that may be short term after you realize that music itself is neither visual nor verbal; it is aural and needs to be grasped through the way it sounds, not imagining visual or verbal attempts of representing it.
The world is full of confused and angry guitarists that learned to play without learning to hear, and so have hit an early limit of what the inappropriate visual and verbal modes can express of the possibility of music.

Whatever you do decide, make sure you develop a solid play by ear foundation.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Last edited by PlusPaul at Jun 26, 2017,
https://www.justinguitar.com

This is where I started a bit over a year ago and it's likely exactly what you're looking for. The lessons are simple, straightforward, and organized well, plus they're totally free unless you decide to buy songbooks or things like that, which BTW he never pushes on you in any way.

For myself, what I like particularly is that he doesn't teach you by teaching you to play others' songs like a lot of lesson sites. Sure, there are songs available to learn and he has a corresponding lesson for each song, but they are always an optional extra activity over the core of the lessons. The bulk of the lessons give you a well thought out progession of the basic building blocks you need to learn, as opposed to just learning to mimic someone else's work. 

In my case, it's perfect as I've been playing keyboards for over 30 years, so for me I have the musicianship/writing skills down already. I just need to learn the actual playing techniques and theory of the guitar in order to integrate it into what I'm already doing. That said, the nice thing about Justin's site is that you can do both songs and techniques if you like; it's all up to you.
I would think that the "best way to learn guitar" would be taking lessons from a professional. I'm self learning myself, paying for lessons isn't really on my radar right now either, but there's no arguing the fact that I would be way ahead of were I'm at now with lessons. But then again I'm in no big hurry and I'm enjoying the ride.
Flying in a blue dream
The best way is what you think is the best way to achieve the guitar skills you desire!

Since you want to do it yourself then figure out what you want to learn and go from there.

The main thing is not to be the best but to write the songs people will pay for.

Therefore it does not matter how organized your playing is to a point.

One tip is just practice the weak spots. You can always find one or two. Even if you are not good at certain things or don't know how to play it.

If you got patience for Justin then I would recommend him too.
Find songs that you WANT to know how to play. Put together a whole list of songs you're interested in, then start dividing them into groups depending on their difficulty. Learn the easiest ones first.

I recommend learning the basic chords first. Once you're comfortable with that then move onto tabs.
dkmoore33521 If you want to learn guitar to make your own tunes and imrpovise with others, then you want to understand how music is put together.  To do that, it's a very good idea to bring together your ears, eyes, and hands.  Recognise a sound (or know how to create it on-instrument if your minds-ear is not too good to start (or ever)), and associate it with the visual shapes that could possiblly create that, and have your hands willing to make the motion (obviously the brain pulls all this together).  

Utlimately music is sound and silence, but unless you are blind or deaf, three of your five senses are involved in performing it, to various degrees.  However, in a performance situation, the ear absolutely is king, so you can hear, respond, react to what's going on around you, so you can stay in time, so you can tell when your guitar has gone out of tune, and especially so you can hear when a friend has left a pint on the bar for you.

If however you just want to play other people's songs and solos, then you don't need the above ... just the ability to read tab and know some chord names.

I'd always recommend playing with understanding.  Parrot-fashion rapidly becomes a dead-end.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jul 14, 2017,
I agree with everyone who said "take lessons." Find a skillful, intelligent teacher who will be able to teach you how to practice. This is especially important in the beginning because you need to learn how to practice correctly to avoid learning (or reinforcing) bad technique and to learn how to make the most out of your practicing, instead of wasting your time with bad practice. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. A good teacher will be able to show you how to make the most of your practicing so you can learn and improve after your lesson when you're not with your teacher. Also, music theory is a useful tool that will help you. I guarantee that you won't regret learning your theory. Tabs, Youtube, Justinguitar.com, and guitarlessons365.com are all very useful too. Learning by ear is an excellent way to learn songs as well, but might be difficult if you've never tried it before.
Suggestions on specific books depend on what Instrument you play (electric / Steelstring / Classical) and what music you prefer to learn. 
Lessons are valuable. But the first skills required are patience and discipline. Even if you take lessons, if you dont follow up what you learned at home and embed it, its still a waste of money.

Even a guitar virtuoso is just a beginner that never gave up.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Number one: Don't ask in online forums. you'll get good answers. bad answers, conflicting answers all sorts of answers and just be more confused...
Also a good player does not mean a good teacher..Everytime you're around some awesome player there's a ton of people begging him to teach them. Just because you can play doesnt mean you can teach, and all teachers are not equal to all students..

Find a teacher who understands your goals and can help you reach them
Take lessons - but develop a practice routine towards your goal
Some days you may be practicing technique, some days cover songs, others songwriting.
Thank you guys so much. I do actually want to learn to write my own things but playing other peoples stuff is what I do now just to grasp techniques and such, I'll probably look into music theory a bit more so that I can understand how my favorite musicians get there music to work together as a peice and such. PlusPaul I like what you said about musicians learning by hearing, I've been playing guitar on and off for about 5 years now and I wish I had stuck with it more thoroughly because if I had I'd probably be wayyy better of a player than I am currently, how would/did you approach learning songs by ear? Or how do I even beginning to train my ears to hear pitch and tones. 
Of course you can teach your self, i don’t know your level but at least at the beginning it would be better to take 1 or 2 years of lesson from a real professional master. Why i am telling you this? Because playing wrong will teach you how to play wrong and once you make it part of your self is hard to fix it. When i was in school (conservatory) my teacher always keep repeating me something like this, “if you study making mistakes you will learn how to make mistakes” he was so right! Easy to say but hard to really understand it.

Playing the guitar is difficult and is like a paint, 

- there is technique (you can’t play without having any technique) and the more music you want to play the more technique you will need, 

- then there is harmony, no need to be an Alfred Pistons (famous harmony book) but still will need some information to be able to understand in which key you are playing and which scales you con play over the chords you have 

- then there is music reading, this is something that set you free, i am not a super music reader but it complete my studies and i now understand why in school it was so important to be a sufficient reader. Once is part of you, you can see voices, bass line, chords changing the voices and lots of nuances that are part of music.

Last but not least? ear and sing, this is a super and so underestimate thing. If you can sing it you can play it, plus? that will teach your brain to recognize the notes and the intervals. Same for ear, if you make exercise with you ear you will recognize intervals and chords.

Now, this is a lot but all of this is part of a paint or if you prefer of a big book… So, if you are a beginner consider to take at least some lessons from a good pro that will lead you for a while and at least it will keep you safe from taking bad habits.

There is nothing wrong about that, i’d like to take some lessons with Doug Rappoport or Andy Timmons, even from Gutrie Govan, i am a pro but still i want to learn, there is always something to learn from others. Stop talking now 8 )...