Why is one so expensive?  

Is the expensive one better sounding than the other?  
Quote by Gosss
Why is one so expensive?  

Is the expensive one better sounding than the other?  

Unlikely.

Not $1200 better sounding anyway.
Different construction, speakers and assembly. The cheaper one is going to be made with MDF and comes with inexpensive speakers. The $1500 cabs are hand wired (not sure why that costs much extra lol), good quality speakers, birch ply construction and a fancy grille cloth.

If you're just looking for home use, the functional difference is the speakers. If you're going out on the road, construction quality will also be important. The speakers in the traditional 1960a 4x12 cab would cost you close to $450 on their own.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Would be easier if you mentioned models but if I would have to guess what cabs you are talking about, simply put one is (most likely you are talking about Marshall MG cab) cheap smallish MDF cab with shitty speakers and the other is more traditionally built plywood cab with generally better construction and much, much better speakers.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by dspellman
Unlikely.

Law of diminishing returns Good quality new cabs are overpriced, specially the custom cosmetic ones (MeBo, Marshall, ENGL etc). If people keep buying them, they'll keep the prices high.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Gosss

Well like I said, one has cheap(er) speakers, made out of MDF and probably made in China. The other is 'hand wired' (not sure how that would add much to the cost of a cab???), using real Celestion speakers, constructed with birch ply and custom cosmetics.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by dspellman
Unlikely.

The one with v30s will definitely sound better then the one with the oem speakers.

No 1200 better tho.

The mg cabinets are really small too.

That being said...used cabs with v30s are like 400-500 used all day. Not any reason to buy the Marshall one new anyway. I've never paid more then 600 for a cab.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by DarthV
Well like I said, one has cheap(er) speakers, made out of MDF and probably made in China. The other is 'hand wired' (not sure how that would add much to the cost of a cab???), using real Celestion speakers, constructed with birch ply and custom cosmetics.

I'm sure pretty much every (if not all) speaker cabs are hand wired no matter what manufacturer or price range.  That includes terminating, soldering and connecting. I've built enough stuff for companies to know how insanely easy and cheap that is on a manufacturing scale.        
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jun 26, 2017,
a lot of guys will spend the extra cash just for that grill cloth, just saying.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
I've been inside a lot of 4x12s (if that's really what we're talking about, here). 
Once you get to the point where they're a standard size and made of birch ply, there's really not much different other than the branding and speakers. Here in LA, used 4x12s are available used in the $200-400 range with V30's or other similarly good speakers. Doesn't seem to matter whether they're Carvin, Engl, Marshall, Avatar, etc. 
MG cabs are just bad. They are made out of MDF and run one of the worst Celestions ever made (the seventy 80). Even at $260 you are throwing your money away. Find a used 1960. The standard 1960 runs T75's which are a fine choice for most styles. If you want to use it for metal look for one of the 1960V models (they run V30's). For blues look for the greenback loaded one. Both of those are a lot rarer than the standard T75 equipped one though so finding a used one is a lot harder.
But why Marshall? Look at Avatar if you must buy new for some reason. Used Marshalls can be had for some good prices because they are so ubiquitous. But what matters is the speakers themselves. To recommend that we need to know what style of music you are going to be playing through it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Gosss

Speakers in the cheap cab are junk. Cabinet is made out of MDF, which is more akin to compressed cardboard than actual wood. In a bedroom, MDF is fine, but it isn't roadworthy. Once it gets into contact with a significant amount of moisture, it tends to swell up and disintegrate. It also tends to crumble to dust when taking a hard impact. Plywood is way more durable, and it goes without saying that the speakers that come in the expensive cab sound way better.

Some people will parade that some cabinets acoustically sound better too, but that tends to come from people who lack a fundamental understanding of what a speaker cabinet is supposed to do. A cabinet that's made from plywood shouldn't sound better than an MDF one or vice versa, because a key part of the whole purpose of a cabinet is ideally to not resonate at all. The more acoustically dead a cabinet is, the better. This is why some of the more knowledgeable pro audio guys actually like MDF in some applications, because it tends to be more acoustically dead than plywood.

The 'handwired' bollocks is just that. Marketing bollocks. All cabinets must be 'handwired' by the nature of how they're made. There's no other practical way to make them.  And giving that guitar speaker cabinets are stupidly simple electronically, the fact it's 'handwired' means absolutely nothing at all. 

Once you start getting plywood cabinets with the same dimensions and the same speakers in them, it doesn't matter how much you spend or what brand the cabinet is. It all sounds the same. $1200 is a stupid price for a 4x12 cabinet, there's absolutely no reason to spend that much money for one.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by AcousticMirror
The one with v30s will definitely sound better then the one with the oem speakers.

No 1200 better tho.

The mg cabinets are really small too.

That being said...used cabs with v30s are like 400-500 used all day. Not any reason to buy the Marshall one new anyway. I've never paid more then 600 for a cab.

I'm a fan of V30's, but I don't buy 4x12s these days. Got too many sitting in storage. Whatever the G12s in Carvin cabs are, they're not bad, either.
I'd forgotten about the MG cabinets .
Quote by DarthV
Law of diminishing returns Good quality new cabs are overpriced, specially the custom cosmetic ones (MeBo, Marshall, ENGL etc). If people keep buying them, they'll keep the prices high.

I wonder how many 4x12s are being sold these days compared to, say, 15-20 years ago. Lots less live music out there, lots more bedroom players. I think there's a reason that Line 6 sells more amps than anyone.
Quote by dspellman
I wonder how many 4x12s are being sold these days compared to, say, 15-20 years ago. Lots less live music out there, lots more bedroom players. I think there's a reason that Line 6 sells more amps than anyone.

Not only that, you don't need to be a stadium touring band to be able to afford IEMs. And due to way more collected knowledge (forums, youtube etc), there's lots of advice to switch to smaller cabs.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs