Anyone have any recommendations on a bass amp for death metal? I've been using SWR for the last 6 years but obviously they don't exist anymore and I'm looking for an upgrade. My cab is a SWR Megoliath 8X10.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
I'm a proponent of looking backwards instead of forwards.  

70's and 80's Hartke and Acoustic models.  Sunn heads, Road heads, Marshalls. 
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
I'm in Maryland and I'd like to keep the budget under a grand. No problem with used gear.
Warwick Corvette
Back when I was running amps, I used an Ampeg SVT-3 pro rackmount, it's a hybrid 450W. Never let me down no matter what cab I hooked it up with; always huge, piercing sound. Should be around a grand in the states, should be some floating around used for half. 
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Jul 5, 2017,
I've been looking at the SVT 4-Pro and some of the Mesa stuff.
Warwick Corvette
If you're going for a more modern/pristine sound, the Darkglass Microtubes 900 would definitely get the job done. If you want a more old-school DM sound, I'd follow Badluckpalms' advice.
Easy. GK 1001 RB-II. Mine sounds freaking beasty through my SWR Workingman's Tower 810.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Assuming you live in the United States, take a look at Carvin's bass amps.  The B2000 is exactly what you're looking for.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by joey-only
Anyone have any recommendations on a bass amp for death metal? I've been using SWR for the last 6 years but obviously they don't exist anymore and I'm looking for an upgrade. My cab is a SWR Megoliath 8X10.

Carvin BX1600.
I'm using its predecessor, the BX1500 (it's black, rather than bright red).
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 9, 2017,
Quote by dspellman
Carvin BX1600.
I'm using its predecessor, the BX1500 (it's black, rather than bright red).

Unfortunately I have no way to test a Carvin out.  And I've never been a fan of GK so they are out.  
Warwick Corvette
Quote by joey-only
Unfortunately I have no way to test a Carvin out.  And I've never been a fan of GK so they are out.  

Where are you located?
I'm in Maryland, Baltimoreish area
Warwick Corvette
Quote by joey-only
I've never been a fan of GK so they are out.  

Really? Why not? Have you had the opportunity to play through one for an extended period, or is your opinion based on hearing others' tones? 
My GK is without a doubt the most versatile amp I've owned. Some people say they're "too hi-fi". However, I can very easily eq my GK to match the tone of my tube amp set flat. I can't dial in my tube amp to match my flat GK. Tone sculpting abilities on it are fantastic! Very reliable. Ton of power. If you want it, gobs of lows/mids/highs, OR the ability to cut them. It's my comparison amp for every other amp I own or buy.

Quote by FatalGear41
Assuming you live in the United States, take a look at Carvin's bass amps.  The B2000 is exactly what you're looking for.

I came reeeeally close to getting one of these when they first came out. 
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Jul 15, 2017,
Quote by joey-only

Carvin will send it to you, and if you don't like it, you can just send it back.  But I have a strong feeling that you will not be sending it back.  The B2000 is an absolute monster, with lots of great tones on tap.  It is pretty indestructible, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by deeptubes
Really? Why not? Have you had the opportunity to play through one for an extended period, or is your opinion based on hearing others' tones? 
My GK is without a doubt the most versatile amp I've owned. Some people say they're "too hi-fi". However, I can very easily eq my GK to match the tone of my tube amp set flat. I can't dial in my tube amp to match my flat GK. Tone sculpting abilities on it are fantastic! Very reliable. Ton of power. If you want it, gobs of lows/mids/highs, OR the ability to cut them. It's my comparison amp for every other amp I own or buy.

I've played GKs as a backline and while testing basses and they've never really done it for me. 
Warwick Corvette
Quote by FatalGear41
Carvin will send it to you, and if you don't like it, you can just send it back.  But I have a strong feeling that you will not be sending it back.  The B2000 is an absolute monster, with lots of great tones on tap.  It is pretty indestructible, too.

How would I get them to send me an amp?
Warwick Corvette
I believe Carvin has a satisfaction guarantee. basically, buy it because you wont send it back. something like that. nothing ventured nothing gained.
Metal - Not a Tube amp of any sort

Metal - Not a Tube Emulating Digital like the Genz Benz Shuttle Max 12.2

Yamaha PB-1 and a Non Digital Power Amp of Choice?

A Digitech BP-8 and a Non Digital Power Amp of Choice?

I highly recommend a Genz Benz GBE600 running out of the Effects Send into a GBE1200 Effects Return
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
I'm strongly considering getting a Mesa Big Block 750, preferably rack mountable.  Anyone have any experience with them?
Warwick Corvette
Mesa sounds like disco to me.

They never sang for me.

Everything between the PB-1 and the BP-8/GBE600 never did anything for me.

Around here are 2 GB NeoX 400s, 2 GBE 1200s, 1 GBE600, 1 GBE600 Pre, 2 NeoX 212s, 5 NeoX112s, 3 BP-8's, 2 Yamaha PB-1s.

The 35 year old PB-1 beat out a Neve Pre in a friend's LunchBox.
The BP-8 had him playing all sorts of stuff for a few days when he put it in a shoot out.
The GB stuff keeps making the Drummers women linger around.

I can only otherwise say play before you buy, because at least for me, the Power Amp is also a significant contributing factor to the sense of inspiration of my playing.

Whatever you find that makes you play things that you might have dared to imagine is IT.  
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
I know that you've already pulled the trigger, but I have to recommend the TC Electronic RH 450 or higher. It put the GB that I had to shame. Good solid tones available, three bankable footswitchable settings, good tube emulation, and a built in tuner. I used it with two guitarists running 6505 +S tuned to drop B and had no issue being heard or felt.