So I was in French part of Canada for a weekend and I visited a guitar shop there to have a guy replace my pots. We spoke English because my French is pretty bad when it comes to guitar terms. He replaced the pots but he also changed the guitars wiring for some reason which I didn't ask him to do.

Here's what he wrote on my invoice : rewired pickups to a correct color code.

My guitar is LP Custom with 2 humbuckers that used parallel wiring before the guy rewired it. So now I wonder what wiring did he change it to because I didn't get the chance to ask him.

Here's a couple of pictures of the guitar intestines. Gotta admit I'm a total noob at this so I've got no idea if this is series or coil split. What do you think it looks like?

I don't know the answer but I admire his nice clean work and shrink wrapping the wires. Quality work.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Are you talking about the 4 conductor bucker? It would all depend on the pup manufacturers color code...

For example a 4 conductor Duncan wired for straight up bucker in series would be...white/red together , green/bare to ground and black hot.
To me it looks like he went for the SD standard 2 HB 2v/2t wiring. It's not a standard Gibson style 50s or modern Gibby from what I can see. Either way its a clean job and I'm guessing he didn't understand what you wanted and got rid of the parallel wiring. Also I'm not sure if you wanted push/pull pots for a coil split but those look like standard pots to me.

Could be wrong though. Maybe somebody else can chime in.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
To me it looks like he went for the SD standard 2 HB 2v/2t wiring. It's not a standard Gibson style 50s or modern Gibby from what I can see. Either way its a clean job and I'm guessing he didn't understand what you wanted and got rid of the parallel wiring. Also I'm not sure if you wanted push/pull pots for a coil split but those look like standard pots to me.

Could be wrong though. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

Thank you for your insight. So do you think it looks like a series wiring?
Quote by nitrousable

What are the pup makes?
Quote by nitrousable

I think it looks like a standard SD HB layout so yeah it would be in series.

Quote by nitrousable
496R bridge and 498T in the neck

Are your pickups 4 conductor?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I think it looks like a standard SD HB layout so yeah it would be in series.

Are your pickups 4 conductor?

I'm sorry, how can I find out? I'm kind of a noob at electric side of things
Quote by nitrousable
I'm sorry, how can I find out? I'm kind of a noob at electric side of things

Your humbuckers. The wires either look like this:

Single conductor:

Or this:

4 conductor:

The latter would be more ideal for coil splitting or series/parallel wiring.

If your pickups have the 4 conductor setup and you're wanting to see if they are wired in parallel or not, all you would do is basically check if the red and green wires are both connected to your hot and the rest of them go to the ground. If you just see a red wiring going to hot then you're in series. At least, if they're Gibson pickups I think that's the color code for them.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 27, 2017,
Quote by nitrousable
H4T3BR33D3R 4 Conductor for sure

Alright well check my edit, I added a bit of info to it.

I'm not a huge wiring expert though so hopefully if I messed up somebody will speak up.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by nitrousable
496R bridge and 498T in the neck

Ok...

From the pic's it looks like one pup is two conductor and one is four. Going by the Gibby color code the two conductor is wired standard. The 4,  I can't see by the pic's but it's like H4T3' is saying.... if it's wired series only the red  wire will be going to the "hot".
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jun 27, 2017,
Quote by Guitaraxe
Ok...

From the pic's it looks like one pup is two conductor and one is four. Going by the Gibby color code the two conductor is wired standard. The 4,  I can't see by the pic's but it's like H4T3' is saying.... if it's wired series only the red  wire will be going to the "hot".

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Alright well check my edit, I added a bit of info to it.

I'm not a huge wiring expert though so hopefully if I messed up somebody will speak up.

Thanks guys I really do appreciate all your help! I checked once again and I think at least 2 of the pots are only wired with the red cable but the other 2 I'm not so sure about. I attached pics of each individual pot below

It looks like its in series. I dont see red and green together.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
+1 going by the new pic's it looks wired for "standard" series operation.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It looks like its in series. I dont see red and green together.

That's good news. I was afraid it'd be in coil split or something else which is bad for the type of music I play. I mostly play hard rock/punk and I think it actually sounds better now than it ever did with the parallel..
As long as it works and sounds good thats the most important part.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
nitrousable 
Quote by nitrousable
Thanks guys I really do appreciate all your help! I checked once again and I think at least 2 of the pots are only wired with the red cable but the other 2 I'm not so sure about. I attached pics of each individual pot below

Yes - series: the green & white pickup wires are connected together and have a length of protective heatshrink over them.
The red connects to the top of the pot and the black & sleeve to earth.
Last edited by prowla at Jun 27, 2017,
prowla
Is this only applicable for two conductor pups? The four conductor ones don't have nearly as much clutter. Just the red wire and that's it.
Quote by nitrousable
prowla
Is this only applicable for two conductor pups? The four conductor ones don't have nearly as much clutter. Just the red wire and that's it.

With the 4 conductor you have more tone options when combined with push/pull pots, switches, etc. For example with say an additional 3 way switch the 4 conductor pup could be wired series/single/parallel depending on what position the switch is in. You could do similar things with push/pull pots.

My LP Special Pro came stock with push/pulls for single coil option. It's a pretty good option to have in some cases. Running the bridge single can get some spanky tones out of it and when combined with neck in humbucker mode can create some good tone variations.
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jun 27, 2017,
nitrousable With a two conductor (core and shield) they've done those exact same connections for you as in the picture there, but at the pickup end, so you don't have a choice.

With a 4 conductor (+shield), you have the option of connecting series, parallel, single coil, out of phase, using switches such as mini toggles or push-pull pots.