Hi, I'm a newbie so be gentle. I currently have a Jackson JS32 Rhoads, it's alright. Bit of fret buzz but I've never really had enough money for something bigger and better. With payday coming up, do you lads think it would be better to invest a bit more? I play mainly metalcore in Drop C and Drop B. My amp isn't the best either, so would a new guitar or amp be a better purchase? I've looked into some Ibanez RG's but I have no experience with any guitars other than Jackson and much lower-end Ibanez (think the Gio series, didn't sound the best but was my first) Help a boy out
I would dump money into guitar than amp later. You're pretty much playing a bottom of the barrel Jackson. Depending on your budget a Schecter, Ibanez, Higher end Jackson, ESP, or even Dean would work.

I would say anything lower end than about a Jackson DK2 level or LTD 1000 level wouldn't really be worth the upgrade but that might be just me. You won't really get the full benefit of the higher end pups and tone till you upgrade the amp though.

Do you want another V? Something else? Care about Versatiluty or just want to melt faces?
risingforce1 Ty for the reply, I think I do prefer the V body but I care more about the sound than anything. I usually play things like ADTR, BFMV and ABR, and it's a mix between ESP and Ibanez. I could afford a more reliable model, think my budget is around £700ish. Obvs then I could wait till next month for that amp upgrade :^)
Look for a used LTD DV8.  Or that's what I would do if I was in your situation with your budget. Then look into an Orange Dark Terror or some sort of a 5150 variant later. 
Quote by youbetailsxd
risingforce1 Ty for the reply, I think I do prefer the V body but I care more about the sound than anything. I usually play things like ADTR, BFMV and ABR, and it's a mix between ESP and Ibanez. I could afford a more reliable model, think my budget is around £700ish. Obvs then I could wait till next month for that amp upgrade :^)

In that case I would go guitar first. 
What do really want in the amp?

What do really want in the guitar?

Since it's sound it is more amp than guitar and what sound are you really looking for? The one that fits your style!

You have no idea how your guitar sounds through any other amp so I suggest you put it in the gig bag or case to go on amp study/research to narrow down your ultimate choice.

As you can always find the way to make money do not put it of and reject it if the price is currently too much for your budget.

If it sounds right you have found it.

Maybe you need to fine tune with a few upgrades in terms of pickups and better electronics but that is after you have the amp that provides the tones you like.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Jun 27, 2017,
Quote by youbetailsxd
Guitaraxe just a Roland Cube.  Get some decent distortion but eh, idk how bad "bad" actually is in terms of amps.

not too bad i think

yeah probably get the guitar first. £700 should have you in range of the MIM bolt-on Jackson Pros and Charvel Pro Mods, which are meant to be pretty good (I've only tried the older japanese versions). or if you're very lucky you might get a deal on a prestige/japanese ibanez, but that would require a pretty good deal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by youbetailsxd
Hi, I'm a newbie so be gentle. I currently have a Jackson JS32 Rhoads, it's alright. Bit of fret buzz but I've never really had enough money for something bigger and better.

"Bigger and better" can also come with "bit of fret buzz." Spending more money on a different guitar doesn't necessarily cure that.

I never buy a different guitar because the playability isn't quite where I want it -- playability issues can be handled. If you go into full Destructo Mode and send the guitar off to someone like Gary Brawer in SF (I have no idea where you are, so that can easily be a dumb suggestion), he can superglue the frets and PLEK the guitar and you'll be dancing (but a couple of hundred dollars lighter).

But the guitar is where the rubber meets the road. Or in this case, where the fingers meet the instrument. You'll find it very difficult to advance if you've got a crappy-playing guitar, no matter how much the amp sounds like your guitar hero's. If you're mostly a noob and if you're mostly playing in your bedroom for the foreseeable future, make sure you have a sweet-playing guitar. Once you've got that, you can cycle through a semi-truck's worth of amps until you find something you like.
Fret buzz? Sounds like you need a pro setup. Find a store around you and have them do a proper setup, that might cure the whole issue.
I'd go for amp first as the Cube is a bees' nest. Maybe 6505 or EVHIII as you mention the genre that you're into. Then see how the guitar fares...possibly if it plays nice get pickup upgrade or guitar next.

I wouldn't touch anything Ibanez that has their brand of pickups in it, so that puts you at $1300. For the most part there are very few guitars that I like under $1000. LTD M1000, maybe some PRS SE, Yamaha Revstar, maybe some Washburn Paralaxe and Fernandes models are about the only guitars that I like in under $1k at this point. I'd even go used Korean factory guitar from a few years ago than the Chinese, Vietnamese and Indonesian garbage that manufacturers are spitting out nowadays.