What phenomenon makes pin 3 of a mic output flipped in polarity, respective to pin 2?

I get that the coil's output for pin 3 is at the bottom compared to pin 2 being at the top (right?). How does that translate into pin 3 being flipped? I am sure it has something to do with electromagnetism but I do not know where to look.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 27, 2017,
Without getting really technical the very short answer is .Sound or you could say vibrating air  pushes against a microphone element. The sound waves are constantly pushing and pulling.When the air pushes against the element, there there will be a rise in the waveform. When air pulls the element there will be a fall below, so pin 2 is the rise and pin 3 the fall. In electronic equipment it is done with ic chips or transformers.
Quote by electricbunny
Without getting really technical the very short answer is .Sound or you could say vibrating air  pushes against a microphone element. The sound waves are constantly pushing and pulling.When the air pushes against the element, there there will be a rise in the waveform. When air pulls the element there will be a fall below, so pin 2 is the rise and pin 3 the fall. In electronic equipment it is done with ic chips or transformers.

My issue with that explanation is that the coil moves as a whole. The wire that goes to pin 2 moves up and so does the wire that goes to pin 3- and when the wire to pin 2 moves down, so does pin 3. The coil as a whole moves. Further, I am not really sure I agree with your explanation. Pin 2 is just out of phase with pin 3, not that one is the upwards movement and the other is the downward movement. Both signals move "up and down", it is just that one signal moves up when the other moves down.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 10, 2017,
You are not understanding what i meant,  when the amplitude rises on pin two it is falling on pin 3 at the same time creating the phase shift. So the  peak to peak amplitude electrons will flow in ac current, one will be positive while the other negitive. You might discover more by researching faraday's  law .