As the title suggest... My Fender Mustang I v.2 doesn't seem adequate considering my beautiful and smart wife surprised me with above mentioned guitar for Fathers Day.

I'm a non-professional musician who primarily plays at home and the office to kill idle down time working the graveyard shift, sucks to be me right? I'm no Buddhist but life is suffering and I have suffered my share (I'll spare you the details). Ok, I'm rambling. My therapist called in sick on me this week.

Thanks for reading and one last thing, although I am not a gigging pro, I feel that an amp that could pull its weight if I were suddenly summed by Rancid, Social Distortion, Misfits, FIDLAR, etc to fill in as a backing guitarist the next time they come through town. Unfortunately, a half can is out as I live in a townhouse. Two speaker cab with a head - ok.

Peavey is cool, Marshall too. Mesa Boogie is way out of my price range (wife and 4 kids). Love the punk rock and metal sound.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3
2011 Fender Mustang IV
2011 Gretsch G5120 Electromatic
2014 Fender Mustang I (V.2)
2016 Gibson Custom Shop Standard Historic 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue VOS
Budget? Lots out there..

One thing to consider is if you want your main gain tones from the amp with maybe a gain pedal or two for enhancing  the amp gain or are going for the ol' clean amp as a pedal platform type deal.
Also, a used Mesa might NOT be out of your price range, so, yeah- BUDGET?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Guitaraxe
Thanks for your input. I prefer to plug straight in to an amp with the gain(s) high at 7-10 with the typical crunch EQ settings (low & high frequencies set somewhere around 7-10, and mids set to 1-5.

Pedals are cool and all but I am not ready to chase that tone dragon just yet. There are so many to chose from! I would shell out some dough for a nice tremolo pedal however. I love rockabilly slap back echo a la The Cramps et al.

I appreciate a clean surf guitar sound with dripping reverb. But it's not a deal breaker, my not so picky ears have found that most amps can have a decent clean channel. Plus my style of music is geared towards punk - less than perfect is beautiful thing.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV
I will start looking in to the amps you guys have suggested. Once again, it's much appreciated.

Any opinions on Blackstar, Hi Watt, Randall or Fender amps.?

I have been interested in Fender's SuperSonic. I have thought about upgrading to the larger Fender Mustang III. But then again, with so many fish in the ocean I want to play around and explore. That actually sounds fun. I think I will start putting in some time at my friendly neighborhood music store and explore what tones are available.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV
Not like I have anything close to what the common man would even remotely consider "disposable income." But I defiantly owe my wife a diamond ring! She is well over due. Bleh!
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV
So how loud do you really want to play?   Loud TV Volumes?  So your ears start to ring after an hour?  After 5 minutes?  

The JSX Ippon posted is one of the best value versatile amps out there - stellar cleans to heavier than thrash metal with a great crunch channel.  

The Laney IronHeart series are also very versatile with a great clean channel through modern metal, again with a great crunch.  I have the IRT-Studio and it's a beast with all of the silent/headphone and USB features built in.  Sounds great through a Mesa 212 cab. 

Mesa has a ton of options as well - a used Single Rec, Express, any of the smaller 112 combos probably will work.  A

The Marshall DSL40C is another great option but not as versatile.  

EDIT:  A little more unique would be a Budda SuperDrive18 combo!

Or go modeling - either in hardware like a Line 6 Helix, Kemper, etc, or software on your phone/ipad/computer.  Plug into a powered wedge with a 12" and a horn and you're golden.  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Jun 27, 2017,
+1 on volume needs... how loud do you want to get? Also how much gain are you looking for? A Marshall DSL40C for example is a cool amp but if the ultra section has to much gain for needs or the tones are not good for you then it would be like having half an amp that's useless.

Have you considered something like a Vox AC15C1 1x12 or C2 2x12 ? 
There are a few other amps out there that might do this but Les Paul thru a Marshall DSL is probably the most iconic sound.

I wouldn't touch anything Fender if you want dirty/crunchy. Not that they're bad amps but at that price range they are not the amps that are for that.
Blackstar - Artisan series only and they are Marshall PLexi and DSL knockoffs anyway.
Trynor YCV50B might be another great option - it is a JCM800-like amp, maybe a touch more retro.
Orange tube amps might be a good choice especially for punkish stuff. Tiny Terror, Dual Terror, Rocker, Rockerverb...they're all godly as long as we're talking orange tube.
Peavey VK is not a bad amp but it is underwhelming and about $100 less than the Marshall.
Laney IRT or Cub amps might be a good ticket for home amp, look at the 12 inch speaker combos as the 10 inch are puny.
Marshall Class5 combo if you can score one used is great for this as well.
Volume needs, hmmm. Well, yes. I definitely need to have the ear ringing, therapeutic, soul lifting decibels on standby for when that duty calls. However, I have to admit those levels will be used sparingly to keep the peace among my family & neighbors.

I understand going Marshall should deliver that iconic sound that I am sure we are all on the same page imagining. I have considered Vox but up until now have not considered Orange. I will keep an eye out for a reasonably priced - used Mesa Boogie (Petaluma is about an hour or two away, support the locals).

I am open to solid state, valve (have yet to own), and modeling amps. But honestly, less is more when it comes to features. Some days I find my self tweaking the knobs playing around with all the different settings more than actually playing (OCD? ADD? Yeah, you know me).

Whose down with OPP?
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV
Still don't have a budget.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Unless you're talking about one of the battery powered portable amps, pretty much everything will get loud enough to have your ears ringing.

Budget/Location and is going used ok?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Gain: Personally, I don't believe in such a thing as "too much gain."

New or Used: Used is preferred. I buy (no pun intended) into the idea of "broken-in" gear. In this case the speaker(s).

Plus, although I take care of my gear, with most used equipment I don't have to obsess over maintaining the immaculate cosmetic condition of new gear. In most cases the previous owner(s) suffered the heartache of incurring the first blemish.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV
Look, I can understand if you don't want to post a strict budget, but at least say that please. There are amps at all ends of the spectrum, and it makes recommending them easier. Just a rough range would be nice.

One man's modest is another man's expensive is another man's drop in the bucket.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dementiacaptain Whoops, my bad. I suppose I feel comfortable spending $500-$800 for the right amp.

I feel like a _________, it didn't dawn on me that "Budget?" = "What is your budget?"

Also, I've never owned a guitar this nice before and don't know which amps are popular among other owners. Albeit I am playing for my own enjoyment, but pairing a Gibson Custom Shop 1957 VOS Les Paul Reissue with a practice amp doesn't feel right.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV
Last edited by jamesmickanen at Jul 1, 2017,
Its no problem, it just makes helping out easier.

The DSL15 is looking more and more like a good buy, but some others to look at:

Egnater Rebel or Tweaker
Vox AC15
Peavey JSX
Krank Chadwick or Nineteen80
Jet City 20 or 50
Laney VC series

There are many others too, but these should be found easily in budget
Quote by jamesmickanen
As the title suggest... My Fender Mustang I v.2 doesn't seem adequate considering my beautiful and smart wife surprised me with above mentioned guitar for Fathers Day.

I love the rationalization. "Honey, this guitar you got me is SO amazing that I need to run right out and buy an amp that does it justice..."
Your beautiful and smart wife may have a dent right in the middle of her forehead, over time, from smacking it...

So if you're looking for something compact and mighty, I'd like to suggest the Carvin Nomad. It's the 1x12 version of the Belair, which is the 2x12 version that I have. It's a 50W amp (EL84s) that can gig with the best of them. Two channels, gorgeous pristine Fender-ish cleans and a very smooth gain ("soak") channel.

More fun: There are mods available. Richard L Hassebrock ("HasseRL") here in Fullerton, CA has the Hasserl Mods (google it or go here: http://hasserl.com/vt50_mods ) freely available. It's all stuff that you can have done on your own, do in stages, have your tech do, etc. The Nomad chassis (also appears in the VT50 head configuration) was designed with the input of Alan Holdsworth, and for some folks it can be a bit TOO smooth on the gain side. The modifications include things like a re-jiggering of the tone stack, an additional presence control, and "attitude" control, a master volume and more. Mine "sounds like a vintage Marshall, but with more gain than any Marshall ever had..." Highly suggested: the Celestion V30 speaker in this one. Let it get well broken in before you judge it; the sound changes. Also good -- the Eminence Texas Heat. My choice was a pair of V30's, and it's a stunning amp.

One more suggestion: Check out RedPlate amps. If my Belair dies and I can't get another for some reason, I'll probably nab one of the smaller Redplates. Handwired, too expensive and they sound just right. This is the OTHER amp that I think would do your new LP justice...

http://www.redplateamps.com/
Quote by jamesmickanen
dementiacaptain Whoops, my bad. I suppose I feel comfortable spending $500-$800 for the right amp.

I feel like a _________, it didn't dawn on me that "Budget?" = "What is your budget?"

Also, I've never owned a guitar this nice before and don't know which amps are popular among other owners. Albeit I am playing for my own enjoyment, but pairing a Gibson Custom Shop 1957 VOS Les Paul Reissue with a practice amp doesn't feel right.

Just for more clarity, are you shopping for a $500-800 combo or just the head? As in, do you have or need a cab as well?

dspellman As this thread grows post by post I am getting better idea of what I want in an amp. Two speakers, two channels, and little to no built-in effects aside from gain/overdrive are some of the features I would prefer on a preowned model.

Egnator, Krank, Peavey, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Vox, and Randall are some of the more familiar brand names [to me] that I have in mind. I am looking forward to checking out the local market (San Jose, Ca - SF Bay Area) to test drive some amps.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV
Last edited by jamesmickanen at Jul 1, 2017,
I'm in the Bay Area, too.  A few more $$$ can get you close to almost boutique stuff. Just snagged a Soldano HotRod 100+ for $900 from Los Gatos. GC in SJ has some nice used stuff as do most of the other GCs in the area.
dannyalcatraz I am considering combo amps as well as stacks. No preference as far as solid state, tube, or a hybrid of the two. If I find a half stack that needs a good home I will need to buy both the head and speaker cabinet.

As far as size, I'm gonna say a 4x12 cab half stack is as large as I will go. I was about to say a 4x12 cab is too big, but found myself reminiscing back to when I was a drummer in a band. We rehearsed at my place so naturally all of the bands gear was stored there as well. Every now and then I would cease the opportunity and play one of my guitars through my buddy's half stack and I have been impressed by how sweet four 12" speakers sound together (Crate Excalibur solid state head on a Peavey 5150 straight 4x12 cab).

Any opinions regarding slant cabs vs straight? I remember back in the 90s people were taking sides and I wound up on the "straight cabs are better than slant cabs" side because straight cabs produced more bass/low end frequencies than the other. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV

Quote by jamesmickanen
dspellman As this thread grows post by post I am getting better idea of what I want in an amp. Two speakers, two channels, and little to no built-in effects aside from gain/overdrive are some of the features I would prefer on a preowned model.

Egnator, Krank, Peavey, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Vox, and Randall are some of the more familiar brand names [to me] that I have in mind. I am looking forward to checking out the local market (San Jose, Ca - SF Bay Area) to test drive some amps.

Your "vision" sounds a lot like my Carvin Belair.

But I had another thought. If you can stand to wait a couple of months, plan a road trip to LA (well, Van Nuys) the first weekend in October. For two days at the AirTel Hotel next to the Van Nuys airport, they host the LA Amp Show. Some of the best amps (including some amazing boutique stuff) will be there, and you'll be able to crank them up to give a listen. https://www.ampshow.com/
DSL15 is amazing. I've been fortunate to have owned and played some fine amps in my day and that amp is what I would take in a heartbeat for that price range...especially with a Les Paul!
Won't a used JCM900 SLX be in his price range too, and it should cover most, if not all, of those punk tones?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
On a side note, having recently learned what "OPP" truly is as defined by the song's lyrics I am no longer down with it.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV

Quote by LaidBack
Won't a used JCM900 SLX be in his price range too, and it should cover most, if not all, of those punk tones?

Good call, awesome amp.
I'd a Marshall DSL 15 watt head or Peavey 6505 mh. I just got the Peavey myself and so far it is very versatile and has an attenuator that goes from 20-5-1 watt(s). I haven't gotten to play it much yet but it is essentially a full blown 6505 in a minihead. I have played various DSLs at shops and they seem great too! So either would work maybe moreso the Marshall.

Good luck!