I've been contemplating making a thread like this for a long time and I decided today was as good of a day to do it as any will be. 

A little over a year and a half ago I had a mental breakdown. I was going through life shit and school shit (tons of stress from my first "hard" year of school with my first AP courses), and just always kept all the stress and negativity in and tried to ignore it. This led to pretty severe depression, which at its worst had me seriously contemplating suicide. A little over a year ago, I made this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1698402 as basically a cry for help. The original readers of this thread were the first people I had ever told about my depression and even just telling someone, whether i knew them in real life or not, just felt a little bit relieving. The replies to that thread are what led me to talk to my parents about it, which was basically the turning point for me. I went into some therapy and started actually getting better. 

As I was starting to get better it was time to be faced with some major life choices. I decided that I wanted to sign papers in order to graduate high school early and get out of there before I got worse again. 

So this summer after an intense school year (4 AP classes = huge fucking work load,) I graduated high school as a 17 year old, a year early. I was accepted into the college that I've dreamed of attending ever since I was 7 (University of Wisconsin - Madison) and my future looks pretty good right now. After awhile in therapy, I'm pretty mentally healthy and a generally happy person. My life is just so much better than it was a year ago. 

And I have you people to (partially) thank for that. You who motivated me to talk to my parents really had a large impact on my life, and I don't care if that sounds dumb but it's true. 

tl;dr thx dudes, I'm pretty happy now and you've somehow had a part in that. 
Last edited by ehbacon at Jun 27, 2017,
i'm not sure if i had any positive impact, but congrats mate that's a pretty big accomplishment
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
hi, my name's Jake and i'm an emotional basket case.

good to hear, pal.

inb4 another idiot comes in and tells you to smoke CBD or some other holistic horse shit.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Good to hear you're in a better spot though. My youngest brother did the accelerated thing and is doing community college courses in place of "12th grade", and has a nice, good-hearted gf now, and seems to be doing good as well (he was pretty damn introverted in high school). It also saves a lot of money on loan debt doing it that way, and you'll enjoy the free time. Just don't waste it on some BS degree (but you've got at least 2 years before having to find that out, and can change it when you will)*

*if you go to college I mean
Glad to hear that, dude. 

sincerity is hard to come by sometimes, so it's cool that you decided to make a thread like this. Just keep pushing on and try to get what you want out of life
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You've done the hard part. Well, to be fair, life is always going to be hard, but it's much easier to maintain a mindset than to change one. Now you have the tools to ensure that you move forward, rather than regress or stagnate. Good on you, fella.
I didn't do anything to help, but it's super awesome to hear you're doing better
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Awesome dude! Glad you're feeling better and congrats on graduating!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
I've never understood the mindset of people that have known what college they want to attend from an early age

Glad to hear you good now and are doing what you want

It's a really good school and it has been my favorite city since the first time i went there (when i was 7). My older sister went there and loved it, and I got pretty familiar with the town through all the trips down to visit her. Just absolutely love everything about it
Ooh, look at mister "I beat depression and then worked my ass off and now the world is my oyster" ooh!

well done man, you have done what I wish I could do with all my heart and you are honestly inspiring
Lol I made a wall of text in that thread, I never do that nowadays.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Nice dude!

I'm glad you sought therapy and that it ended up helping, and that you got accepted to where you wanted to go!
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ehbacon
It's a really good school and it has been my favorite city since the first time i went there (when i was 7). My older sister went there and loved it, and I got pretty familiar with the town through all the trips down to visit her. Just absolutely love everything about it

Well that's cool then. I thought maybe you were just a

NERD

Advice: I live in a college town and if you want the townies to like you, don't just walk out onto the street like you own the place and expect us not to hit you with our cars. It's annoying.

And if you want to see tits just sit outside the nastiest bar uptown on a Saturday night and wait. I never go uptown because it's always a zoo, but everytime I have to be up there I swear. Last week it was a chick in a wedding dress lol
I remember that thread, I didn't know what to say because even thought I've struggled with depression for years I still don't really know how to manage it and don't have any good advice

glad to hear you're doing well now though
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
That's awesome. What'ya gonna study at Uni?
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Good on you! 

I mean, I have to hate the school you're going to bcuz Big 10 stuff and whatnot, but good on ya!
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by sashki
Good on you for having the courage to seek help.

If you don't mind sharing, could you explain what exactly you did in therapy that helped so much?
Well, keep in mind that this is what worked for me individually, and I believe that everyone is a bit different in how to treat. Basically once my therapist got to know me, he focused more on humanist and some aspects of cognitive therapy. He also had me keep a journal in which I would write everything that happened during the day and would rate my happiness from 1-10 (would do this before I went to sleep.) After some days, i would go back and look at the good days "good" days and bad days and see what was different about them.

I never took anti depressants because of a negative experience I had with them previously (as described in the linked thread.)

Gatecrasher53
Interestingly enough, I'll be studying psychology.
Quote by ErikLensherr
jerk off already

Let some of the poison out.

Solid advice, 2016 me.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Not touching your hand but high five in spirit
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.