I've got a mild hum from guitar when I'm not touching the bridge or strings of the guitar. The pups are GFS crunchy rails and its an unshielded cavity. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
Thanks
This problem is normal.  Your body acts like an antenna and attracts stray waves in the air.  The waves then jump from you to the guitar giving you audible hum.  Your strings and bridge are grounded so when you touch them it sends the waves to ground rather than your hot signal which is why touching the strings makes the hum stop.  Shielding the cavity will help reduce the hum but won't completely get rid of it.  It will also make the guitar sound darker.  If you use conductive paint as your shielding it'll have less tonal effect than using copper tape or tin foil.  Years ago when this sort of hum bothered me I used to ground the strap pin and weave wire into my guitar strap so that I was always grounded via the strap but looking back I think that was more trouble than it was worth.  Now days I simply make sure I'm always touching a metal bit of the guitar.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Shielding the cavity will help reduce the hum but won't completely get rid of it.  It will also make the guitar sound darker.  If you use conductive paint as your shielding it'll have less tonal effect than using copper tape or tin foil.  

How will it make it darker?
Why does conductive paint have less tonal effect than copper or tin foil? 
I have this problem too, but I also know that the electricity that goes into the amp has some bad grounding. For example I have a slight tremolo effect also. It's just a case of bad grounding. It might just be the power outlet, and not a great problem.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
Quote by Vreid
How will it make it darker?
Why does conductive paint have less tonal effect than copper or tin foil? 

+1 I'd really love to know this too. CorduroyEW 
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Inductance in the circuit goes up when you add shielding and that causes ac resistance goes up too.  The higher the frequency the more resistance is added.  Not all conductive materials react the same way so certain materials change ac resistance and inductance more than others.  It's pretty easy to check if you have access to an LCR.
Not taking any online orders.