How to naturally release trauma: a way to activate primordial processes and literally shake it off!

irl example of the natural process (warning: viewer discretion):

The yoga pose for that shit (this really works brother):

---

If you watch the bear in that video and were observant, you might have caught it doing a breathing technique in between those sets.

ENTER THE WIM HOFF BREATHING TECHNIQUE:

----

Do this shit before going on stage or doing something big. Do these techniques not satisfy you? No problem! Make sure to buy Propranolol or your favorite drug company's latest GABA-A and GABA-B antagonist. For your health!
i have it, even though i only record for me to listen to, never to share with anyone else. it gets easier as you do it more
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
+1 To the Wim Hoff technique

I do that shit all the time at work and it's like a fucking drug, man. If I'm drowsy, almost falling asleep at my desk, tired, wanting to go home, I go to the bathroom, do the breathing exercise for like 5 minutes, and then I'm like fucking new like if I ran a marathon or smoked meth or something. Fucking magic man
Partly.

It usually takes me several attempts to be satisfied with one of my guitar covers. It's part nerves, part being a perfectionist and not wanting to make mistakes and part adjusting to a position I don't usually play in.

Just gotta keep at it.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Fat Lard
Make sure to buy Propranolol or your favorite drug company's latest GABA-A and GABA-B antagonist. For your health!

tool

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Imagine the best you yoi can be. You press record and perfectly play the guitar perfectly in the first take. Sit back and imagine this version of yourself and close your eyes and stay in this zone in your head. Now you will take deep breaths, and notice that your body is tense in certain areas because you are perfect in your head. Tell urself its ok, release the muscle tension, and bring forward that perfect image of yourself playing guitar. Do this meditation often
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Self-imposed hyperventilation (the 'Wim Hoff technique') is a pretty interesting way of dealing with the anxiety. Dunno if I'd recommend it when you're about to perform using your hands as it can cause cramps and involuntary spasms in your extremities. That said your body is designed to tolerate that kind of thing pretty well so if it works there isn't much harm in doing it.

My recommendation is to just practice while being recorded a bunch. Eventually you'll get used to it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
Self-imposed hyperventilation (the 'Wim Hoff technique') is a pretty interesting way of dealing with the anxiety. Dunno if I'd recommend it when you're about to perform using your hands as it can cause cramps and involuntary spasms in your extremities. That said your body is designed to tolerate that kind of thing pretty well so if it works there isn't much harm in doing it.

My recommendation is to just practice while being recorded a bunch. Eventually you'll get used to it.

There's a method to the madness though, and the extremities/lightheadedness goes awsy if you do it right (25 to 30 'power breaths' without full exhalation, then on the last exhale, fully exhaling and not inhaling for a while, followed by a deep inhalation that is held for ~15 seconds, then let go)

It can be a great way to fully oxygenate the body and keep people from acting like bitches on stage or recording
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jun 28, 2017,
Quote by Fat Lard
There's a method to the madness though, and the extremities/lightheadedness goes awsy if you do it right (25 to 30 'power breaths' without full exhalation, then on the last exhale, fully exhaling and not inhaling for a while, followed by a deep inhalation that is held for ~15 seconds, then let go)

It can be a great way to fully oxygenate the body and keep people from acting like bitches on stage or recording

Breathing normally does this just fine.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Sure, depending on how you breathe, but this method prepares you for being able to climb Everest in nothing but shorts and boots, and swim under ice sheets, after some training and conscious control.
Quote by Fat Lard
Sure, depending on how you breathe, but this method prepares you for being able to climb Everest in nothing but shorts and boots, and swim under ice sheets, after some training and conscious control.

Share some of your pics upon your triumphant return from these endeavours.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Fat Lard

Your attempt to quantify and apply a one-size-fits-all method without any significant data to back up your statements is just as silly as your pizza posts. Things like body size, weight, musculature, heart rate, lung volume, and breathing rate all effect how long it will take for the side effects from hyperventilation to set in, if they even set in at all. In addition to that, any pre-existing condition that causes acidosis will also effect the severity of the side effects experienced.

I feel it's also important to note that if you've dysfunctional breathing or if you have asthma that forcing yourself to hyperventilate is very much frowned upon as you could induce an asthma attack or lose control of your ability to stop the hyperventilation.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
If you have breathing problems or are inferior in other ways, then just don't do it, sure.
Quote by Fat Lard
If you have breathing problems or are inferior in other ways, then just don't do it, sure.

Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Fat Lard

Explains why you don't do it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by BigMoneyGuitar
I don't know what it is but sometimes I get really tense when I know I'm being recorded. Anyone else experience this or have some tips to deal with it?

The more you do it, the less it bothers you, I had the same thing, would tighten up right after record got pushed.
That was in the tape days, with digital it doesn't even occur to me, you can just do take after take with digital.
I don't get it from recording sessions so much as when I was doing Youtube videos on the regular. Some days things clicked well and all was fine, but some days there would be an endless amount of setbacks usually leading me to put in a massive ton of effort for a <10 minute youtube video. This was especially a problem on anything I was talking in, because I have this tendency to just drift way off topic when explaining something complex, so I'd usually do 2-3 runs unscripted, then write out a script in Notepad and follow that.

And add to it I'd notice the camera angle was shit, and I look like crap, or something I don't want in the scene is there, or something that is not in the scene that is a point of the whole video is missing after finishing the third or fourth draft. And this was when I was cranking out videos almost daily back in 08' or so.

I think one of the biggest connundrums during that period though was the Jag-Stang setup video - I had a jar of Vaseline on the desk for the part where I'm lubricating the knife edges on the vibrato (part of how I keep that thing in such perfect tune).....oh man some of the comments that brought out. Yeah, what idiot is going to rub metal filings, dust, dirt, and tarnish into their cock? That would be like using the gun polishing cloth as a napkin for a dinner date!

Sometimes I miss those days, sometimes I'm kind of glad I'm not having to police myself to be so careful about something as stupid as Youtube comments.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at Jun 28, 2017,
after recording anxiety you'll want to highlight anxiety -> delete -> are you sure? -> maybe idk...
Check out my band Disturbed
I was hoping this would be a thread giving advice on how to capture the sound of anxiety on a recording
I have nothing important to say
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
Yeah, what idiot is going to rub metal filings, dust, dirt, and tarnish into their cock?

Well... you are really overestimating the intelligence of the average netizen, but then again if you ran a youtube channel you probably know better than I the creeping stupidity out there.
Quote by 33db
Well... you are really overestimating the intelligence of the average netizen, but then again if you ran a youtube channel you probably know better than I the creeping stupidity out there.

Oh, I've got a few stories about netizen stupidity, especially from my youtube heavy years of 2006-2010. Some guy stalking me all over youtube over a SecretAgentBob Violin video because he well, hates my sense of humor.....a glitch algorithm ruining an entire Van-Halen cover early on that goes out of synch where It appears I'm playing AHEAD of the song and every other comment saying it's fake. Endless arguing with pretentious hipsters when I did a video on playing metal with a Fender Jaguar........

But there was a lot of great that evened it out, That's what I thought about that kept me going. A good friend and the best man at my wedding I met over Youtube, I've bought/sold/traded a few guitars through there too with viewers, still posting stuff from time to time and finding out I'm remembered. THat's the stuff that kept/keeps me going, though these days I don't have as much time to make videos as I used to being more musically active IRL and married life and all that stuff.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
Oh, I've got a few stories about netizen stupidity, especially from my youtube heavy years of 2006-2010. Some guy stalking me all over youtube over a SecretAgentBob Violin video because he well, hates my sense of humor.....a glitch algorithm ruining an entire Van-Halen cover early on that goes out of synch where It appears I'm playing AHEAD of the song and every other comment saying it's fake. Endless arguing with pretentious hipsters when I did a video on playing metal with a Fender Jaguar........

But there was a lot of great that evened it out, That's what I thought about that kept me going. A good friend and the best man at my wedding I met over Youtube, I've bought/sold/traded a few guitars through there too with viewers, still posting stuff from time to time and finding out I'm remembered. THat's the stuff that kept/keeps me going, though these days I don't have as much time to make videos as I used to being more musically active IRL and married life and all that stuff.

Right on, sound over all positive, congrats on getting married.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Wim Hoff technique doesn't oxygenate your body (at least not that much, it's a small amount)., it reduces your CO2 levels in the blood. Normal breathing can't do that.
To prove it, use the Wim Hoff technique and on the last inhalation/exhalation take a very long time. You'll find out that you can hold your breath like 4x times more (I could hold it for >30s). If it only over-oxygenated your body that would be impossible. CO2 is the one in charge of controlling your breath reflex, not O2, and the less CO2 you have, the less your brain stem forces you to take a breath (and thus you can hold it much longer).
Quote by gonzaw
Wim Hoff technique doesn't oxygenate your body (at least not that much, it's a small amount)., it reduces your CO2 levels in the blood. Normal breathing can't do that.
To prove it, use the Wim Hoff technique and on the last inhalation/exhalation take a very long time. You'll find out that you can hold your breath like 4x times more (I could hold it for >30s). If it only over-oxygenated your body that would be impossible. CO2 is the one in charge of controlling your breath reflex, not O2, and the less CO2 you have, the less your brain stem forces you to take a breath (and thus you can hold it much longer).

Ah, I remember him mentioning it does both (oxygenating and less CO2) in one of his Joe Rogan podcasts, but probably not as much, as you mentioned. I think I went close to 3 minutes comfortably without a breath after around a 4th set once, or however long.

And the brainstem consciousness is real. It's relatively easy to slow your heart rate consciously, for instance, but that guy is able to effect his endocrine system along with a host of other things (according to his podcast) that I don't want to mention for scientific/political reasons >_>

I find doing just 2 sets of his breathing technique makes getting comfy enough to sit for zazen much easier, and the full activity more prolonged; I should probably pick it up again.
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jun 28, 2017,
I always do it before doing a physical exercise (well ... sometimes I forget), and also to get into an alert and clear-minded state when I'm drowsy/tired (like I mentioned before). For anxiousness, being nervous, etc, I just do regular medidating exercises for like 5 minutes (clear your mind, take deep, slow, constant breaths, etc). Some times I did do Wim Hoff for other reasons, but mostly if there was a tense situation at work (be it with people or with technical problems) and I needed to get back to it (without getting anxious as fuck and actually be calm and try to solve the problems)
A couple shots of something that is at least 80 proof will help!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge