Hey UGers!
It's been a LONG-ass time since I've posted here!

ADDED: So nice to see the forum very much alive and well! 8500 users online just this past April! Holy crap! lol

Regardless.

I need help identifying this hollow body which belongs to a buddy of mine.(his neighbor, that he doesn't even know, just gave it to him. lol)
The only identifying marker on it anywhere is an uppercase "G" on the tail piece.   

Talk about a really unusual head-stock though!   

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers!

~JudgeDrey
Last edited by JudgeDrey at Jun 29, 2017,
JudgeDrey 
 The only identifying marker on it anywhere is an uppercase "G" on the tail piece. 

"G" for Gretsch. Though, have no clue about the headstock.
I considered, and did a search, for Gretsch. But came up empty.

Thanks anyways.
Well, I've positively identified the tail piece as Gretsch. The rest is a mystery still.

Could be something cobbled together. Neck looks 60s Japanese but heastock is weird. Since weird is very popular with collectors of that stuff you'd think finding out what it is would be easy
Quote by monwobobbo
Could be something cobbled together. Neck looks 60s Japanese but heastock is weird. Since weird is very popular with collectors of that stuff you'd think finding out what it is would be easy

You'd think right? lol

I have search SOOO much in the past 3 days for something even remotely similar to this and have come up completely empty. Not even close!

The headstock especially is so damn unusual that anything similar should be very easy to spot if there were any other types like it. But nothing.
Even the cutaways are pretty unique in the way they curl so much and come to such a point. You'd think that there would be quite a few guitars out there similar. But I've found none that look anything like it! So weird.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help so far.
~JD
Seems like it's something that someone pieced together
No way if it were a production guitar you wouldn't find info on it. The really crazy looking 60s Japanese guitars are very collectable.
Looks like a 60's Japanese guitar that has been modified through the years, no way the mounting rings for the pickups are stock not by a mile, although those pickups could very well be stock. If I has to guess someone butchered it at some point in it's life to put humbuckers in it and then had to make those mounting rings from pick plate material in order to put stock/stock-ish cheapo single coils back in it.

The tail piece if Gretsch and obviously a relacement for the lost or damaged original.

These quirky 60's guitars do have a niche collectors market some drawing high prices but those are typically either fairly rare and/or stock as well as in great condition. Unfortunately there are probably more of them that have been butchered throughout the years than have remained stock.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by JudgeDrey
Evilnine Yeah I'm sure you're right. Thanks. I wonder where the hell that neck came from though.

The color match is good and the truss rod cover definately looks correct for the old '60s MIJ guitars, I'd guess it might be stock although it does appear that some work has been done at the neck joint. Is it bolt on or set neck?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge