I'm wanting a compressor under $70, I was thinking on the DOD 280, the MXR Dyna Comp, or the Boss CS-3. It'll be an always on pedal.
I have an MXR Dyna Comp.  Never had an issue with it.  best thing to do is go to a store and try them all
+1 on the MXR dnya comp. I bought one used 3 years ago and it's still on my board.
Hooper drives the boat chief...
+2 on the Dyna Comp. Best compressor by far in that price range
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
They all have dif' flavors. The MXR Dyna-Comp is a classic. The Boss CS-3 is nice. I have an MIJ version that I use on occasion. With Boss, the CS-2 is considered the "one to get" but maybe out of your price range.
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jun 28, 2017,
Quote by Guitaraxe
They all have dif' flavors. The MXR Dyna-Comp is a classic. The Boss CS-3 is nice. I have an MIJ version that I use on occasion. With Boss, the CS-2 is considered the "one to get" but maybe out of your price range.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the CS-3, what's your opinion?
MXR Dynacomp is cool.
I have a Marshall "Ed the Compressor" which is a set and forget device as well, I used it on my old rig and what I like about is the control as you can vary whether you want lows or high affected

I like the BBE OptoComp and Carl Martin Classic Opto-comp as I find opto-compressors to work in a more naturally pleasing way.

Another one that comes to mind is another one I own, the DDyna Thinman, which kinda acts as overdrive, compressor and limiter in a box and could be something different to your garden variety compressor. I use mine on bass as it stays on all the time.
Quote by Nerdbiscuit
I've heard a lot of bad things about the CS-3, what's your opinion?

I like it for what I use it for... specifically dialed in for bridge pup use with chord passages that include open string drones....but I personally wouldn't consider it an always on comp because I think it can be overly squashy. I would want something more transparent.
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jun 28, 2017,
Guitaraxe have you thought of trying paralel compression? Using something like a small mixer or Boss Line Selection to blend in both sounds?
I'm using an LS-2 to do some cool tricks like that, you can dial side A and B and blend the output.
Quote by diabolical
Guitaraxe have you thought of trying paralel compression? Using something like a small mixer or Boss Line Selection to blend in both sounds?
I'm using an LS-2 to do some cool tricks like that, you can dial side A and B and blend the output.

Good idea!

I used to use an LS-2 like you mention for blending on my Bass but didn't think about it for electric guitar! 
I've used half a dozen different compressors, and they all do the job in slightly different ways, so it comes down to personal tastes. I like a bit of subtle "squish" when you lay in hard. My top two are a Boss LMB-3 and a BYOC 5-knob. FWIW, I had a locally-made one that switched between Ross and Dynacomp, and I preferred the warmer sound of the Ross.
What sound are you going for? If you just want something to fill up your sound I would NOT go for a Dynacomp. Something with a blend control would be better suited for that. Maybe a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Micro?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Edward the Compressor wins for the coolest FX name ever.  Even better than any EHX name.
Screaming Dave wasn't that the name of Iron Maiden's monster? Eddie?

I never understood why they stopped making them but I managed to snag mine exactly when they were discontinued so i got a great price on it.
I also own their Guvnor overdrive which is great, with a mid sweep eq. They also did the Jackhammer pedal that I had which worked great with Marshall amps for pure 80s thrash tone.