So, I've had my interest piqued by bass and feel it's more natural, especially without a pick. Two fingers seems more natural, but given my preference of metal, I find many bassists use a pick. Notable exceptions are the bassist in Necrophagiast and John Myung. I've also learned they use at least 3 fingers, and I can see where that would be useful...if I can get my hand to cooperate. I want my right hand to feel natural using the whole hand, basically. Practice, sure, but where to aim is what I'm after.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I personally play finger style (pizzicato), with two fingers. The only time I use a pick is if I am covering a song and:  the original artist used one, and I cannot mimic the tone with my fingers (which I normally can by soloing the bridge pickup on a two pickup bass, and using a slightly sharper finger attack). Do what feels natural and comfortable for you.

If you are interested in learning/developing three finger technique, Billy Sheehan created a YouTube video explaining how he developed his:
Steve Harris only uses two fingers. once I realized that, i gave up trying to learn three fingers.
I decided to learn with three fingers because....uh...it was one more than two.
I think its fair to say that two or three fingers is a matter of preference, much like playing with a pick.
And of course you can go down the route of James Jamerson and go one finger.

I tend to use one finger, if I can get away with it. If I'm playing DT or Lamb of God stuff, I'll switch up to two.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 29, 2017,
Much depends on the genre of music. Watch John Entwistle (Who) on my generation, multiple fingers, whereas some genres rely mainly on root not bashing.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
smtp4me 
Regardless of how many fingers I use, I did get some insight on the method to the madness with that video. Thanks!
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
A lot of death metal guys use their fingers, personally I switch between 2 and 3 depending on the part I'm playing.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
I use 3 1/2 fingers
3, but my index does both up and down strokes.
I'd use 4, but my little finger isn't quite long enough.
I sometimes bunch all fingers together and use them up/down.
I sometimes stroke upward, flamenco style.
I also use a plec if I feel like it; I found that some lines simply flow better with a plec.
Well I guess you could learn the lines of players that use 3 fingers and see how that tech' fits into the scope of the lines being played.
To me it just feels natural to play with three.
I didn't train myself to play with three my fingers just started doing it naturally I guess
My Gear Bass / Guitar
Schecter Guitar Research Demon-6 With Floyd Rose Solid Body Electric Guitar Transparent Black Burst
Line 6 Spider 15 Classic 15W 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp
Dunlop 47R3N Jazz III 1.38mm Sharp Tip Nylon Guitar Picks
Dunlop Tortex Standard Guitar Picks .88 mm
DR Strings Dimebag Darrell DBG-10 Medium Hi-Voltage Electric Guitar Strings
D'Addario EXL110 Nickel Wound Light Electric Guitar Strings
Yamaha TBRX304
RotoSound Swing Bass 66 Nickel Wound Standard Gauge Strings
Ampeg BA 108 Amp
Fingers vs. pick? - depends on music style and on the sound you want to create
2 fingers vs. 3 fingers - playing with 3 fingers is a third faster and your fingers are a third less tired; I strongly recommend playing with 3 fingers, it´s hard to learn, but if you just got it, it´s much more comfortable.