Picked up guitar again after five years or so.  I've been practicing/playing for about 6 months now.  I'm playing on an Epiphone Special II.  I know, it sucks.  I'm ready to upgrade to an intermediate guitar.  I play rock, metal, blues mainly.  Suggestions for the upgrade?  I know pretty much anything will be an upgrade from this but I'm clueless as far as brands/models, etc.

Thanks in advance! 
$800 should get you something really nice. I'm a fan of Epiphone, with your budget you could try a Tribute, just under your budget. PlusTop Pro at $550. How about a Stratocaster?

Sorry, I don't know anything about that guitar
Flying in a blue dream
phoyce

Do you want a trem? If so, that might be worthy of consideration.

My usual suspects in your price range are Reverend, Electra, Godin, G&L (either Tributes or used USA), Hagstroms, Fret-King, MiM Fenders, and the better Epis. Shopping on Reverb, eBay or other online spots can get you Carvins, Bill Lawrence, Blade Levinsons and other more exotic options.

Do you have preferences in body styles? Pickup types?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
phoyce You need to go to a guitar store and play one of EVERYTHING in the store.  Get a feel for what you like, what you don't, size of frets, number of frets, neck profile, neck joint, hardtail - hipshot or tune-o-matic, trem - fender style or Floyd, what type of body shape, tummy cut, number and types of pickups, etc., etc., etc.  

Other than you knowing somewhat what you want everyone will just list their favorites.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by phoyce
SanDune65 Someone is selling this local.  Thoughts?

The Omen is Schecter's entry-level line, so you're making a sidegrade. Additionally, a Floyd Rose trem on that level is likely to be a budget-oriented Special, which cuts corners and can make the FR experience frustrating. It's going to be more work changing strings with an FR versus a TOM or fixed bridge.

For $800, a Schecter C-1 style with a good FR is easily attainable (Hellraiser/Blackjack). Also, something from Jackson, ESP, or Ibanez. New or used, you can get a nice axe. Hell, used, you stand a better chance of not blowing the whole wad to boot.

Danny has good names as well, and I'd like to add Agile. 

Lastly, to second metalmingee, hit up a guitar shop and try a bunch of guitars. You have an LP-style guitar, but that doesn't mean a strat or superstrat design is going to be your best bet. Try a range of guitars to see what you like and dislike. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
+1 on Agile.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
To follow up, and not sound like I'm kissing ass, but I got a custom paint-job Agile Septor 727 WITH a case for under $400 brand new. I'd say it competes with comparable products in the $600-800 range from the big boys. I knew nothing of Agile before joining UG, but for the talk, it is a very viable option if you're in the US. The website isn't going to blow your mind, and if you need to talk, Kurt isn't there to schmooze. But the hype is real and it's a great value.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
$800 will be a lot of guitar if you go used I'd suggest playing everything you can get your hands on until you find the one that you don't want to put down.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

$800 is a substantial amount to be paying for a guitar, so I'm wondering what you are doing for an amp? Once you get out of that minimum-cost beginner price range, the money might be better spent on a decent amp and a moderate guitar. - My favourite guitar cost Oz$65, and I run it through a $1500 amp.