Hi guys,
As the title suggests, I'm looking for an amp that can be used for home recording and practice  - I'm hoping for a minimum hassle set up plugged directly into the PC. Bonus points if it's small gig-worthy.

I play a lot of metal (from melodeth to stoner doom) but dabble in other genres, so I've been looking at modelling amps. I purchased the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 but due to various issues, I'm returning it. Another one I've had my eye on is the Boss Katana. Max price I'd be hoping for is around £300 but if there's something great out there, I don't mind stretching that budget.

My guitar is a B.C. Rich NT Jr. V with the bridge pickup switched out for a Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1.

I'd be very grateful for any recommendations you guys can give me as a first time recorder!
Look into the Peavey MH amps - 6505, Classic, and ValveKing versions and the Laney IRT-Studio and LionHeart Studio.  They are basically small tube amps with a USB interface built in with a ton of options. 

I have the IRT-Studio and it's great.  The onboard speaker emulation isn't all that great buy I disable that and add in a V30 impulse in the DAW on the computer.  

heads up that the <1 W setting will make your ears ring through a Mesa 212.  The 15W holds up the low end reasonable well for home playing.  Mic it if you gig or run the line out to the board and use the built in emulation - it may sound great in a mix.  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Asator25
Hi guys,
As the title suggests, I'm looking for an amp that can be used for home recording and practice

I'd suggest NOT looking for an amp, but look for a preamp or modeler that can be plugged directly into your PC.
Vsti's ftw. I spent a small fortune trying to find a good tone for my bedroom. I needed a non mic setup, because of volume issues (have kids and neighbors). Bought micro heads, modeling amps, all that stuff. I finally tried some VSTI amps, and am getting better tones than ever with them. Best part is that all recording in silent!
Agreed with the others, if you don't have the capability to record at even a medium volume, don't bother with trying to record with a mic. It's amazing what some decent plugins can do these days. I recommend Amplitube, personally. Very easy to use and cheaper than many of the alternatives.

Although, if you really wanted to spend the money, and isolation cab could work for quiet recording. This is not a cost effective solution, but if you really wanted to go that route, you do still have options for quiet recording at home with a live amp and mic.
Last edited by ExDementia at Aug 4, 2017,
Quote by pinheadslts75
Audient id14 plus Positive Bias Amp will be better than any amp in your price range.

Agreed, but he listed his budget at £300. Just the Audient interface costs nearly that much in itself, and the Bias amp is £850, so easily over £1,000 in total. That's quite a stretch on budget.
Quote by ExDementia
Agreed, but he listed his budget at £300. Just the Audient interface costs nearly that much in itself, and the Bias amp is £850, so easily over £1,000 in total. That's quite a stretch on budget.

Bias Amp the software, not Bias Head the amp head. The standard version is $99.

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-amp/
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Aug 5, 2017,