Occasionally i have trouble trying to play parts from songs that are either fast or have an odd meter. I play the first note of the phrase and i just get stuck playing the same note because i hesitate to go to the next note. Its kinda hard to explain but thats the best i could do. Is there any way to remedy this?
Take a look at this...

Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
PlusPaul
That was a cool video but i dont know that that helps me at all. The things i struggle with, ive heard a hundred times over but my hands still just dont want to do it?
Not entirely sure what you mean.. could you possibly record a short video so we have a better idea of what's going on?
If you are not prepared to play a fast phrase or something in odd meter, what do you think happens when you go ahead and play the first note anyway? You already know - you get stuck.
Did you understand from the video that you play exactly the way you hear? That suggests that when you find you can't play something it is because you aren't hearing it in your head. When you get stuck, is it because you have lost or forgotten it and aren't able to hear how it goes?

In music performance there is a thing called "chunks". These are the conceptual units comprising the execution of music - for example if what is called for is to strum the same chord for the first ten seconds as the intro to a song, that whole ten seconds can be one "chunk". If the first verse moves over four chords, then each of these may be a chunk, and if there is a bridge between verses that features some technical playing, each phrase of that may need to be a chunk... the most difficult phrase may need to be broken down into smaller chunks.
The chunks get smaller as their contents get more complex because the mind is planning what to play as a series of chunks.

When you first learn something (a solo, for example), the chunks are going to be small and managing them to come out smoothly in the right order and timing is a chore, but as you learn it the little chunks aggregate into larger simpler more manageable chunks. So, where originally your solo might have been made of little chunks requiring a lot of thought to play, later the whole first phrase of 16 notes become one chunk, and the whole solo may become composed of just a couple of chunks.

The point is that when you are playing, you are laying out the chunks in your mind; if these chunks are big you have more time to think about other things. But if your chunks are small, then more mental time is going to be spent raising them and putting them in order. One of the ways that you learn to recognize when a piece is ready for performance is that the mental management of the chunks becomes easy, because there are just a few of them. Learning something is really reorganizing the chunks from a lot of them to just a few... this is what the internalization part of learning is all about, allowing you to mentally "turn just one wheel" in order to make a bunch of other wheels turn. The making of those connections is the conversion from small chunks to big chunks.
Quote by reverb66
Like, your brain is giving a comand but your fingers arent responding?
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by SanDune65
Like, your brain is giving a comand but your fingers arent responding?

Yes thats about right
Quote by CENSORED.
Yes thats about right

You make it sound like the problem is that the fingers aren't responding to the brain's command. It may feel like that, but the problem is the brain is not commanding the fingers vividly enough. Your fingers do exactly what they are told; if they don't move it is because you aren't telling them what to do.
Quote by reverb66
If you always get stuck on the same phrases in the same songs then you've probably learned to subconsciously hesitate, due to the very nature that you always hesitate. I imagine your thought process is something like "omg, here comes that phrase again. i can do this! come on fingers! ohhh... no I can't... bugger". You must at least be anticipating the problem in your head. To get round this I would personally slow down and work on the transition between the phrase prior and the "stuck" phrase. You might need to work on this particular bit for quite a few days until it flows effortlessly.
Yeah i was anticipating the parts i would do that on as well. But i guess the solution is simple: slow down and practice to break the habits as well as play it a lot so my brain can recognize and remember it better. Ive been trying this lately and it seems to be improving
Yeah, I tend to learn songs in chunks. The old mistake was to then simply glue the chunks together and assume they would flow, but often that didn't happen. I actually had to also slow down and memorise the transition from one chunk to another. So I would usually play the last couple of bars of the prior chunk through to the first couple of bars of the next chunk. That way the transition also becomes memorized.
If you take something like learning a solo, for instance, the usual method is to start at the beginning and work on the first phrase until you can play it. Then play the first phrase into the second phrase, working on that second one until you can play through both the first and second phrases... then add on the third, then the fourth, etc...

There is a problem with doing it like that; by the time you have added the last phrase of the solo, that last phrase is the one you are most inexperienced and least confident playing. The whole solo has a gradient of confidence that begins with high confidence (because those first parts have been played so much) but moves into increasingly less confidence (because the later parts have been played less).

The typical solo has an emotional "shape" that builds up to a peak, often expressing some fancy or technical playing... so the worst feeling in the world is to be playing a solo where every next note and phrase deeper into it you have less confidence playing it.

You can reverse this by reversing the learning process - learn the last phrase of the solo first, then learn the second to the last phrase and play that into the last phrase (which you already know). When you do this, the learning of the second to the last phrase is easier because you are not distracted worrying about the last one; you are always playing into subsequent phrases with which you are more familiar and increasingly confident. By the time you are adding the first phrases to the beginning, the rest of the solo feels downhill and easy. That is the best feeling in the world, where every next note and phrase of your solo is easier and feels more confident. This gives you mental headroom to think about other things like how to express the development toward the peak, etc.
Quote by reverb66
Last edited by PlusPaul at Jul 2, 2017,