Page 1 of 2
All I can say is wow!

The irony here is just brutal, this man was a complete idiot, what a horrible way for those boys to learn the dangers of playing with guns.

http://nypost.com/2017/06/13/dad-says-he-fatally-shot-daughter-while-teaching-gun-safety/

NEWS

Dad says he fatally shot daughter while teaching gun safety

By Joshua Rhett Miller

June 13, 2017 | 2:40pm

Eric HummelHobart Police Dept.

A father in Indiana is facing five felonies after inadvertently shooting his 9-year-old daughter while he says he was teaching his three children not to play with guns, later telling a responding officer: “She’s dead, she’s dead. I thought it was empty.”

Eric Hummel, 33, shot Olivia Hummel once in the head just after telling his two sons about the danger of handguns in the family’s home in Hobart on Saturday. The girl died less than 30 minutes later, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Hobart Police Chief Richard Zormier said the girl’s shooting death was “not just another accidental discharge” of a firearm, characterizing the father’s actions as heinous and depraved.

“His actions that day endangered the lives of all three children and ultimately stole the life of Olivia, an innocent 9-year-old little girl,” Zormier said. “His actions caused the death of Olivia and likely scarred the boys emotionally for life.”

A responding officer found Hummel kneeling next to his daughter in a bedroom doorway, according to a probable cause affidavit cited by the newspaper.

“She’s dead, she’s dead,” Hummel said. “I thought it was empty.”

Hummel continued: “I was showing the boys the gun and told them not to ever play with it because it can kill someone. Then she walked in the room and I pointed it at her and pulled the trigger, thinking it was empty.”

The girl, who was shot once in the head from as little as 2 feet away, was later pronounced at St. Mary Medical Center in Hobart, some 25 minutes after police responded to the family’s home. Her death was ruled a homicide following an autopsy on Monday, according to Hobart Police Lt. James Gonzales.

Hummel’s two sons told police they were cleaning their room when Hummel walked in with his 9mm Glock handgun and said statements to the effect: “You should never mess with the gun.”

One boy said Hummel pointed it at him up to three times and that the gun made a “little pop sound,” according to the affidavit. Hummel then pulled the top of the gun back and forgot that he “put the bullets back in” when he “shot our sister,” one boy told police.

Hummel later asked to call the girl’s mother and an officer overheard him tell the woman: “I shot her, I’m so sorry,” according to the affidavit.

Hummel also told the girl’s mother that the gun went off as he was showing the boys the gun.

“It was stupid, it was so stupid,” Hummel said before stopping the interview with police and requesting an attorney.

A candlelight vigil in the girl’s memory is scheduled for 7 p.m. Tuesday at Hobart High School.

Gonzales said there’s no indication that Hummel was intoxicated at the time of the shooting and police do not expect anyone else to be charged in the girl’s death.

“This event has impacted each and every officer and civilian staff member at the police department,” Gonzales said. “It has put in perspective how fragile life is.”

Hummel has been charged with five felonies, according to court records, including neglect of a dependent resulting in death, battery resulting in death to a person less than 14 years old, reckless homicide and two counts of neglect of a dependent. He faces 20 to 40 years if convicted of neglecting a dependent resulting in death, a Level 1 felony. His first court date had not been set as of Monday, according to court records cited by the newspaper
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 30, 2017,
Quote by Baby Joel
tragic
Yeah incredible how a momentary lapse of thinking can destroy the lives of an entire family.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Yeah incredible how a momentary lapse of thinking can destroy the lives of an entire family.

incredible how a man was pointing a gun at his kid and pulling the trigger under any circumstance
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
What a fucking jackass
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by BladeSlinger
incredible how a man was pointing a gun at his kid and pulling the trigger under any circumstance

Yeah that made me cringe when I read it, and that boy telling the cops what happened, tellling them that their  racked the gun forgetting that he had "put the bullets back in" when   "shot our "  just imagine how traumatized they must be not to mention the mother.
It's like satire has become reality. 
I have nothing important to say
i mean i know hes a fucking jackass and this is his fault but fuck dude. like imagine trying to teach your kids to be safe and shit and then inadvertently killing one of them
this house is bitchin
Yeah he's dumb as fuck, but I wonder what the state has to gain from pursuing so much legal action.

This guy is clearly going to be absolutely wrecked about this for the wrest of his life, do we need the justice system to also lock him up with taxpayer dollars for who knows how many years?

Makes u think
My God, it's full of stars!
Are gun accident threads by EvilNine a thing now
Hummel’s two sons told police they were cleaning their room when Hummel walked in with his 9mm Glock handgun and said statements to the effect: “You should never mess with the gun.”

tfw you are in your room, minding your own business, & Dad bursts in waving his Glock around

Quote by Rossenrot
Are gun accident threads by EvilNine a thing now

makes u think
My God, it's full of stars!
Even if it wasn't loaded the guy is setting an awful example for his kids. "See kids you can play with guns! As long as you think it's not loaded!"
Sad that it happened.. what was he thinking? if he was even thinking at all... I don't own a gun and wouldn't want one in my home... kids can become curious and no matter how safe you keep it.. kids will find it and an accident can happen.. First and most important rule.. make sure gun is unloaded, there are no bullets in the chamber, and never ever ever point at anyone.. unless there is grave threat to yourself or your family's safety... and even with license to own in your own home... shooting and killing someone will always be with the person who pulled the trigger.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by Dreadnought
Yeah he's dumb as fuck, but I wonder what the state has to gain from pursuing so much legal action.

This guy is clearly going to be absolutely wrecked about this for the wrest of his life, do we need the justice system to also lock him up with taxpayer dollars for who knows how many years?

Makes u think

Maybe they should just shoot him?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
If you're that stupid to not know if it's loaded or not you should not be allowed to own a gun.
RIP Matt Lauer

Because i'd rather pretend you're dead than acknowledge your existence.
If you're that stupid that you ignore the only Golden rule of using a gun (i.e. Don't point it at anything you don't intend to shoot) then you should not be allowed a gun.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Honestly if you're pointing it at any other place than out in the country where you're sure there's no people around then you're too stupid to own a gun.
RIP Matt Lauer

Sure he killed someone but how many lives are potentially saved by putting his kids off guns for life?

I applaud the idiot
Stupid Americans, I bet some will say the daughter should of had a gun to defend herself.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
"I was showing the boys the gun and told them not to ever play with it because it can kill someone. Then she walked in the room and I pointed it at her and pulled the trigger"

wow. i have literally no idea who the fuck would do this, even with an empty gun. what the fuck man. big tragedy/crime, the father is never gonna feel the same again, the kids are scarred for life.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by prowla
Fundamental gun safety = check it's empty!
(Then check again...)

I thought it was never point a gun at anything you're not prepared to destroy
this is why only people with military training should be allowed to handle guns 
Quote by Diamond Dave
I thought it was never point a gun at anything you're not prepared to destroy

I reckon that's rule #2.
The first one is definitely make sure it's safe.
Quote by kalypto
this is why only people with military training should be allowed to handle guns 

I disagree.
Then again, I own guns.
Quote by prowla
I reckon that's rule #2.
The first one is definitely make sure it's safe.

No

Rule 1 is always, without fail: Never point the weapon at something you don't intend to shoot

Because its the first step in ensuring its safe. No point fumbling around to see if there's a bullet in the chamber if you've got it pointing at your best mates head on the chance that you accidentally let a round loose.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Guitar137335
Stupid Americans, I bet some will say the daughter should of had a gun to defend herself.
yeah she should of
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by i_lovemetallica
No

Rule 1 is always, without fail: Never point the weapon at something you don't intend to shoot

Because its the first step in ensuring its safe. No point fumbling around to see if there's a bullet in the chamber if you've got it pointing at your best mates head on the chance that you accidentally let a round loose.

Well, the first thing you do when you touch a gun is to make sure it's safe; indeed, if someone is passing the gun to you, they should demonstrate that it is safe before you even touch it.

However, an overriding principle is that you shouldn't point at things you're not going to shoot.

So, I'll concede and accept that the overriding principle is a more fundamental rule than any practical matters to do with actually touching the thing.
Quote by i_lovemetallica
No

Pretty much this. The only time I've fired guns is when I go out to visit my cousins who live on a farm out in the country. And even then they're pretty strict about making sure you have your gun pointed at the ground at all times when not using it and making sure no on is in front of you when firing.

Guns are not a fucking joke. You should always make sure you're using them safely no matter how sure you are that it can't hurt someone.
RIP Matt Lauer

Pretty much prowla I was always taught and have always practiced, that the first point of checking a weapon is safe, is to ensure its pointing in an appropriate direction, from there you can do your other checks such as safety on, ammunition cleared. But I get where you're coming from.

Not to be all political, but yeah, Australia has some pretty tight gun restrictions and I can't remember ever seeing articles about fuckwits doing dumb shit like this, because the vetting process is pretty intense 
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
"I thought it was empty."

It takes less than three seconds to drop a mag and clear the chamber. Perhaps it's the military training drilled into me, but the first thing you do when you get a firearm is to check the chamber.
Quote by JustRooster
"I thought it was empty."

It takes less than three seconds to drop a mag and clear the chamber.  Perhaps it's the military training drilled into me, but the first thing you do when you get a firearm is to check the chamber.

Right -- but to take it a step further, you just don't point guns at people -- period -- even if you can see through the chamber all the way out the end of the barrel and no ammunition is in sight.  I wasn't trained in the military, but this was a point hammered into my head by my dad and also my hunter's safety instructor.  You just DON'T POINT a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot -- ever.

I cringe whenever I see this rule being broken on movies and TV shows -- even by people acting as law enforcement or military personal.   I repeat, there is no such thing as a gun safe enough to point at someone.

I heartily support our second amendment and would defend it to the death -- but incidents like this and things I've seen in person sure make me think about instituting mandatory rigorous training and licensing before someone can own a gun.  Common sense just isn't that common anymore.  It sucks that this guy had to learn his lesson this way, but sad to say he was too stupid to own a gun to begin with.
how embarrassing
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Page 1 of 2