Poll: Would an Alnico Gold work for a Night Train?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would an Alnico Gold work for a Night Train?
Yes
2 100%
No
0 0%
There are better options
0 0%
Stick to the Greenback
0 0%
Voters: 2.
I've heard some people on the internet talk about how blues would sound too harsh due to early break-up, but that it would sound good EQ wise. That had me start thinking about a speaker that I've only heard of a few times: The Celestion Alnico Gold. It's supposed to sound like a blue but pre broken in and at a higher wattage.

Would this sounds good at all our is this some kind of niche idea that wouldn't really work?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
I have an AC30 + a 2x12 cabinet (DIY).
The cab has an Alnico Gold and a G12K-85 in it.
For my needs it sounds perfect.

For a Vox Night Train, the Gold would probably be fine.
So maybe at some point I should consider buying an alnico gold cab at some point. I'll of course try it out before I buy, because I don't know if I'll prefer it over the greenback, but it's worth a shot. Maybe it'll be some kind of amazing combination that nobody uses and it'll make my tone sound unique but good.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

how the hell can blues sound bad due to early breakup?  the breakup is usually the thing guys want for blues.  
Can never have to many speakers laying around.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by monwobobbo
how the hell can blues sound bad due to early breakup?  the breakup is usually the thing guys want for blues.  

I mean, the Night Train is a gain monster in comparison to most blues amps. For example, I cranked it today, and on the "thick" channel, it had way too much gain for chords (but had an amazing Led Zep lead sound). AC/DC sounded bad due to too much break-up (granted they don't use that much, but I had to turn gain down to maybe 2:00 max for that type of thing, IIRC 12-1 was about right). Now, that was maxed, but the "girth" channel has about that much at 10:00, so with an early break-up speaker, it might be too much. I mean, you could of course use it only on "bright," but that would be more of a "I have an alnico blue cab laying around, let's use that for this song," IMO. I still couldn't find a single thing on all of Google with the Night Train with a Gold, and I searched for a little over an hour, but I heard some people talk about how a blue might sound harsh with the sheer amount of overdrive a Night Train produces, so that's when I started searching.

That was a really long post.

Don't know where you are located...but there are lots of options for alinco speakers these days. I'm not a fan of the gold blues but I do have a lot of alinco speakers.

You can never have too many speakers just grab a speaker and swap it around.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
Don't know where you are located...but there are lots of options for alinco speakers these days. I'm not a fan of the gold blues but I do have a lot of alinco speakers.

You can never have too many speakers just grab a speaker and swap it around.

Is it really that easy to swap a speaker out?

Also, what speaker do you think would sound best with the Night Train?

The Night Train amps are not exactly typical VOX when you crank their gain, so I would not recommend an Alnico Blue voicing. I'd stay with the Greenback or Vintage 30 if you wanted to try something different. Stick with speakers that are more often paired with Marshalls or higher-gain amps.
Quote by Will Lane
The Night Train amps are not exactly typical VOX when you crank their gain, so I would not recommend an Alnico Blue voicing. I'd stay with the Greenback or Vintage 30 if you wanted to try something different. Stick with speakers that are more often paired with Marshalls or higher-gain amps.

That might be a good idea. I might just replace the speaker with an H instead of an M (the greenback that it came with), because that might be good, especially because it can lack a bit of low end.