I'm wondering how you could play through a few amps at the same time without sacrificing signal quality. I think I could use some kind of ab/y box with the option to switch on/off an output, but my fear is that there will be a drop in audio quality. I know that in years past (but not so much nowadays) musicians would use multiple stacks of guitar amps all running together. Can anyone offer some advice on how to do this?
_für immer_
Last edited by furImmer at Jul 1, 2017,
Currently I'm only using a Fender RocPro 1000. I'm thinking about a future set up.
_für immer_
A buffer in front of an ABY is usually sufficient. Splitting from a buffered stereo pedal works too.
In some cases an iso transformer and/or a phase switch can make a big difference. Some active ABY pedals or dedicated splitters like the Suhr buffer have those features.
Just to be sure: you're talking 2 separate amps with their own speakers attached, right? Not like 2 heads on 1 speaker cab? Because there's an important difference if you don't want to cause damage.
Yes, that's what I mean. They would each have their own speakers. I just want to play through both amps simultaneously.
_für immer_
Quote by furImmer
I'm wondering how you could play through a few amps at the same time without sacrificing signal quality. I think I could use some kind of ab/y box with the option to switch on/off an output, but my fear is that there will be a drop in audio quality. I know that in years past (but not so much nowadays) musicians would use multiple stacks of guitar amps all running together. Can anyone offer some advice on how to do this?

Basic switching in front of the amps will get the job done.

The reason that people aren't doing this so much these days is that modelers like the Helix, Axe, etc., will often support at least two complete "rigs" internally, allowing you to have separate amps/cabs/FX chains for each one, and then output them to a mixer or to a single stereo power amp feeding one more more speaker systems. You're able to change either or both rigs completely, if you wish, with a single stomp. This eliminates potential phasing problems between the two amps and eliminates the requirement of having two separate rigs including switching, pedal boards, connectors, power supplies, stage real estate, etc., etc.

In years past there really wasn't a good way to do this *other* than an a/b/y box, but these days the modeler makes far more sense, even if you use IT as the switcher, running its separate outputs to two separate physical amps.