0 0%
Mahogany
0 0%
Oak?
0 0%
Maple/Mahogany laminate?
0 0%
Voters: 2.
Hey all. So, I plan on putting together an 8-string guitar, for metal and for pretty much everything else. I'm wondering what woods you guys recommend for clarity and sharpness on electrics, specifically ones of, *ahem*, lower tendencies. 

I plan on using a flame maple drop top, so figuring and pretty grain aren't that important. 

What woods do you guys have in 8-strings? What do you like?

Thanks.
I would be asking about neck materials rather than bodies.

EDIT. Hmm, I'm going to clarify that. If (and it's a very big if) there is any tone wood effect at all, I would expect it to be in the neck more than the body. I choose bodies on (light) weight, not tone.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jul 1, 2017,

I like whatever looks pretty and acknowledge the fact that the difference the wood makes to an amplified electric guitar is too insignificant to be of any real concern. Too many other variables that make a far greater difference tend to totally drown out whatever difference the wood could be making.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I agree with Toodeepblue.

I like top wood just for looks (flamed maple looks cool imo), i can barely hear a difference between pickups, I don't think I'll hear a difference in body wood
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
yeah you're barking up the wrong tree. amp and pickups would be the places to target to get what you want. 
When it comes to supporting low notes with a decent amount of clarity and sharpness, scale length matters far more than wood type. If it's too long the thing's gonna be hard to play - if it's too short the low notes are gonna be loose and flabby. so you need to find the right compromise. this is exactly why fanned fret extended range guitars are a thing.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Definitely. It's always best to buy the most expensive figured plywood, as anything less would be low quality, like those crappy '60s Les Paul's I have that I just am ready to burn.
I like either swamp ash or alder with a maple neck.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Most swear to swamp ash, probably because meshuggah pioneered the sound on solid ash body guitars and so it's the precedent sound to match. 
Personally they're not for me. I even have a swamp ash/ceramic 8 string collecting dust as a testament to that- to me it does meshuggah and nothing else. 

If I had another 8 built I'd go with mahogany or its more exotic cousins (limba)
Quote by epicelrod221
Hey all. So, I plan on putting together an 8-string guitar, for metal and for pretty much everything else. I'm wondering what woods you guys recommend for clarity and sharpness on electrics, specifically ones of, *ahem*, lower tendencies. 

I plan on using a flame maple drop top, so figuring and pretty grain aren't that important. 

What woods do you guys have in 8-strings? What do you like?

I'm going for a buckeye burl like this one:

White limba body, five-piece walnut neck with limba stripes. Streaky ebony fretboard.