My first amp was the Marshall MG 100DFX. I had no idea what to get and it is WAY too big for my little room, and I can't get the sounds that i'm looking for with such little volume. 
I play Avenged Sevenfold, MUSE, Children of Bodom, Misfits, Black Sabbath, etc. I've been playing for almost 3 years so I'm not a beginner, just not an expert either :p
I've played with the Line 6 spider IV which I thought sounded good, but after reading MANY bad reviews I have my reservations about buying one now. 

Budget up to £300, any recommendations? 

Thanks!
Last edited by holland711 at Jul 2, 2017,
how quietly do you have to play? the big problem is if you're playing really quietly there's going to be some compromise almost nomatter what you use.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey Vypyr.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Dave_Mc  I live in a terrace house, so just quiet enough so I don't drive the neighbours nuts, but loud enough so that I wouldn't be able to hear someone talking to me from the next room. Hope that helps
If being able to play quietly is a major concern, have you considered the sort of options that are available to you in terms of VST software with your computer?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
+1 for the Peavey Vypyr. I've always liked the Blackstar HT series as well.
What amp are you using now?

A clean/semi amp and a dirt pedal might be an option.  I use a VOX AC4C1-BL with an MXR SuperBadAss for Rock/Old School Metal like Sabbath and it sounds pretty good in the house.
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jul 2, 2017,
T00DEEPBLUE  I don't need to be as quiet as THAT, my problem with my amp is that it's so big that I can only turn it up so loud before it becomes a nuisance and it's just noise, not a lot of tone or effects at low volume.  
Quote by holland711
T00DEEPBLUE  I don't need to be as quiet as THAT, my problem with my amp is that it's so big that I can only turn it up so loud before it becomes a nuisance and it's just noise, not a lot of tone or effects at low volume.  

Well if you want some volume, you can use your PC monitors.

Seriously, you can get a lot better tones for a similarly priced DAW and VST setup for the same price as a cheap practice amp. It's especially helpful if you want to do any kind of recording too as it makes the whole process of doing that a breeze.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by holland711
Guitaraxe I'm using a Marshall MG 100DFX. I might have to start looking at pedals then!  

Pedals going into a Marshall MG is a total waste of money dude. Solid state amps like the MG do not take overdrive and distortion pedals very well at all.

You really are better off just getting a better quality amp or a VST SW solution.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I second the VST option but if you really are set on an amp then maybe something that has a headphone out? H&K have a few options but they might be out of your price range new. I might check out the Laney Ironheart Studio. It has a headphone out and also an AUX in for doing guitar karaoke with your favorite backing tracks. Also, it has a wide range of tones. 
Quote by holland711
T00DEEPBLUE  What are your suggestions for a better amp then?

Used Peavey Vypyr.

If you want to use VST software, I suggest watching this video.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Look into the Laney IRT-Studio used as it's an amp and a USB interface in one.

Bundle that with a low cost DAW like Reaper and good cabinet impulses like Peavey ReValver and you're golden for a ton of options.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by holland711
Guitaraxe I'm using a Marshall MG 100DFX. I might have to start looking at pedals then!  

It might be worth a shot. As mentioned, SS can be picky when it comes to out-boarded dirt. These days they have many dirt boxes withe 3 band EQ's on them to help dial in tones. Another option, if you don't mind the speaker in the MG is to get a small amp head and hook it up to the MG speaker using it as a make-shift cab.
Quote by holland711
Dave_Mc  I live in a terrace house, so just quiet enough so I don't drive the neighbours nuts, but loud enough so that I wouldn't be able to hear someone talking to me from the next room. Hope that helps

Thanks. I agree with T00DEEPBLUE, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Yamaha THR10x sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Great little practice amp for solo jamming and woodshedding.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com