First of all, hi all! This is my first post here. I reckon you guys here have the most experienced players around or simply enough people with their opinions, and that's what I'm after.

Intro: I'm a bass player, been playing in an alt. rock band for almost ten years now, but since we get little time to spend together and play stuff, lately, I've turned to exploring the great possibilities of a guitar  I've bought myself a Blade Dayton Player series guitar (single+p90 setup) and gathered my pedals around me. 
For bass, I have CEB-3 (bass chorus), BF-3 (flanger) and GEB-7 (bass eq). Other pedals at disposal: OS-2 (od/dist), MT-2 (metal zone), RV-6 (reverb), TR-2 (tremolo). Delay and phaser are on the way (DD-3 or DD-7 and PH-3). Yes, I'm a huge fan of Boss. So far, I've run all my pedals through my bass amp (Fender Rumble 100 V3), both with guitar and bass. Or through Focusrite and Reaper and vsts.

Why I'm here: I'm looking for a rather small amp, not beyond 50W, but not wanting it to be a toy of a few watts of power. Generally, for room use and my own pleasure. I could say I'm a fan of solid state combo amps. And since I'm about to horde a sh*tload of pedals, I'm in no need for it to have any effects integrated. Reverb, tops. I'd like to use it for room jamming/recording, but in very small room in a flat in a building full of screaming babies, it would have to have some kind of line out and headphones out.

Question: Are there any amps out there that go along better with Boss pedals, regarding the sound provided by the pedals and the output sound of the amp? And that fit into specs above?

Budget: around 200eur (circa 230$). It doesn't have to be a brand new one, I believe that if I go for the used ones, there will be more of them in the price range.

All of your suggestions and thoughts on this matter are welcomed. And thanks in advance.
Cheers!
This probably isn't what you want to hear but more expensive (and usually tube) amps tend to sound better with pedals of any brand (especially distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals). And different amps sound better with different pedals (and vice-versa) regardless of the brand, as I said, but again I'd say the easier way round to do that is to get an amp and then try to find pedals which suit it, rather than the other way round (though again it's probably much less critical for non-dirt pedals).

If that sounds like I'm castigating you or anything like that, I'm not, you should see the stupid stuff I do and buy. And most of the regulars here definitely operate a "Do as I say, not as I do" policy (or at least I certainly do)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks Dave_Mc. 
Honestly, I haven't tried many different guitar amps, since I'm playing bass and all. What about those hybrid amps? I've seen Marshall AMT50, used, fitting the price and size. Do you know anything about those amps (or this amp in particular), concerning my question and continuing your reply?
The closest amp I can think of that fits most of your criteria is the Quilter 101 head, but it is @€300. They make a smaller, 45w amp built into a bead all housing, but I don't know that they're available outside the USA yet. Both take pedals well, and have universal power supply capability.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/microblock-45
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/101-mini-head

http://theguitarbar.be/en/quilter-labs/46-quilter-101-mini-guitarhead-1000000004199.html?search_query=Quilter+101&results=2

Basically, the 101 is everything you want, but it's 50% more expensive AND because it's not a combo, you'd need a cab, too. The 45 is the right price, but you'd still need the cab, and you might face availability/import difficulties.

But I'm not an amp guru. Someone else may have better options.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
With that budget it could be a bit tough, most of what is in your price range is mostly aimed at people just starting guitar, and thus the options available tend to come with some built-in effects. A couple things that come to mind:

A used Fender Super Champ (XD). They have built-in amp modeling, but you can play without it and the clean sound on those is quite nice. It is not a high-wattage amp, but it should get reasonably loud for practice purposes. You may have a bit of a problem with the power amp distorting if you play with a drummer at full-tilt, but if that is the case tell your drummer to work on his dynamics and play quieter

An Epiphone Valve Jr. is another option that is simple and makes for an excellent pedal platform. One knob, so all your tone shaping is coming from the pedals pretty much. Similar situation here regarding power.

There are also Jet City amps, but the ones in your range (specifically the JCA20/22) are definitely more aimed at crunch tones, and may not be the best as a clean pedal platform.

All of these are tube amps, but I honestly am having a hard time thinking of a decent, solid-state amp in that range that would be a suitable pedal platform. If you can get a hold of the Quilters Danny mentioned above, they seem to sound pretty great. Failing that, there are quite a few excellent modeling amp options these days that are pretty affordable. They have built-in effects and amp modeling, but they sound pretty decent (the Boss Katana series sounds pretty good from most of the demos I've heard).

Hopefully that helps a bit!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'll always 2nd the Valve Jr option. Absolutely love that little amp. However, it's not enough to clean up the processed signal of the Boss. I borrowed a GT100 several months ago from a friend just to check it out. Other then certain features I thought were pretty good the tone quality just wasn't there compared to line 6. Although I thought it was easier to use I just couldn't get a natural tube amp tone the way I can with a POD HD. Harder to use but the payoff is way better.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by moonbear87
Thanks Dave_Mc. 
Honestly, I haven't tried many different guitar amps, since I'm playing bass and all. What about those hybrid amps? I've seen Marshall AMT50, used, fitting the price and size. Do you know anything about those amps (or this amp in particular), concerning my question and continuing your reply?

It really depends on how hybrid they are. I'm guessing you mean the AVT50? They aren't great and are more like a glorified solid state.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Older Marshall hybrid amps are actually quite decent with pedals, the AVT, Valvestate were OK, especially with Boss pedals.

Personally, I'd go with a tube amp that takes pedals well. Not sure if you want clean tube or dirty, but the Kustom Defender amp (either combo or head + 1x12) is quite nice as pedal platform and rather cheap. Jet City amps also come to mind.

Regarding the Line 6 vs Boss - I actually can't say either of them does a decent tube sound, I like the GT series from Boss better as an effects and switcher, I have a GT-10 and don't use its distortions or modeling but all other effects and have it switch channels on analog preamp and it is perfect.
Marshall is very compatible with Boss. In fact I switch out some more expensive pedals for the Boss on Marshall because they sound better. A case in hand is the Overdrive and tubescreamers. The basic Boss SD-1 on any Marshall will drive it to sound like an overdriven Marshall should.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Quote by Deermonic
Marshall is very compatible with Boss. In fact I switch out some more expensive pedals for the Boss on Marshall because they sound better. A case in hand is the Overdrive and tubescreamers. The basic Boss SD-1 on any Marshall will drive it to sound like an overdriven Marshall should.

That seems a bit like hyperbole. I mean, no doubt, driving an amp with the SD-1, but driving, for instance, an MG, or even the AVT, probably is not going to yield that "classic Marshall sound."
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dementiacaptain - Well like those overdriven Marshall's should sound when overdriven then. The point is that it seems Boss when making pedals are certainly using Marshall for their tone and it seems Marshall may even be responding to those pedals in their design. So there is a lot of synergy between the two developments.

Just stick a Boss SD-1 in front of Marshall and try another OD. It's hard to find one as good, especially at the price.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Last edited by Deermonic at Jul 5, 2017,
Quote by Deermonic
dementiacaptain - Well like those overdriven Marshall's should sound when overdriven then. The point is that it seems Boss when making pedals are certainly using Marshall for their tone and it seems Marshall may even be responding to those pedals in their design. So there is a lot of synergy between the two developments.

Just stick a Boss SD-1 in front of Marshall and try another OD. It's hard to find one as good, especially at the price.

Do you have any facts to back that up, or are you just spitballing?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE - No I have no facts to back that up. It's the most logical deduction I can think of as to why Boss sounds really good on Marshalls and not so good on other amps is because well... someone is designing something with the other in mind.
I really doubt Marshall is tailoring it's designs for it's most expensive amps to match budget overdrive pedals...seriously people.

The fact is that Boss pedals sound fine through good amps, because anything sounds good in a good tube amp.  Stick a horrible distortion like a DS1 in front of a dimed tube amp and you can make it sound  fine, but it's contributing very little overall, so that is misleading in a way.   Even a Tubescreamer  sounds bad in a cheap amp.  I've owned both pedals and ran them through everything from Solid States to Fender Tube amps etc. 

Not every amp will take every pedal well, especially overdrives.  That's why you really need to test and experiment to find the right one for a given amp. 
Quote by Deermonic
T00DEEPBLUE - No I have no facts to back that up. It's the most logical deduction I can think of as to why Boss sounds really good on Marshalls and not so good on other amps is because well... someone is designing something with the other in mind.

you might well be on to something there, but I'd sort of limit that to the good tube marshalls.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc Yeah I am just saying. If someone was like, what OD works best with this amp, you can have a few in mind that are classics or popular. You might also know which aren't. In this case its like someone has a collection of Boss pedals and I am like... well those are the kinds that work good on Marshall. So Marshall seems the logical choice, obviously not the only one and plenty of non-boss pedals work well with them.
You should spend the money in a tube amp before spending in pedals. If you are going for a VST and use a computerised system, there is no point in buying pedals, you can use pedal plugins. 

Boss pedals are good, not all of them but they have quite a number of good pedals. So do MXR. EHX have a couple of interesting pedals and are a bit cheaper but mine never failed. MY only 2 pedals that had issues were a TC switch and a BOSS (DD-3) input jack. 

The RV-6 is a good reverb, and I really like the TR-2 Tremolo. In my opinion BOSS makes some of the best delays on the market. I really like the DD-3,in my oppinion, it sounds better than the DD7. The DD7 has a couple of more features, and it has trailing. I also enjoy the DM-2w delay. 

Never played any boss bass pedals. but I do not like Boss chorus (CH-1 and CE-5) and I do not like The phaser and the flanger. I like MXR flanger and the yellow box choruses (I like both the stereo chorus and micro chorus not the blue chorus analog chorus) and EHX Small Stone Phaser. 

MT-2 does a great lo-fi sound. I enjoy playing boss overdrive pedals, but I do not like the SD-1. I enjoy the BD-2 and the  OD-3. I play through  Fender and Marshall amps. EHX also have a couple of great overdrives like the Crayon, OD glove and Soul food. I also enjoyed the rough sounding Germanium 4 big muff. The best budget versatile Distortion in my opinion is the ProCo RAT. I have the You Dirty Rat variant. 

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion on pedals!
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Jul 5, 2017,