Dear fellow musicians

In online boards, we musicians extensively discuss about instruments and gear, often with quite some passion. These discussions range from the suitability of certain instrument models for specific genres to the size of one’s instrument collection. 

Research has not yet paid special attention to such discussions. This is quite surprising as there is a lot to be learned about musical and music-related practices, e.g. what motivates musicians to collect instruments, how do we use our gear to develop our musical identity and what criteria do we regard as important when acquiring a new instrument. 

As musicians (guitarists, bassists and drummers) and musicologists, we aim to explore this interesting issue with an online survey. We need as many participants as possible. Being dependent on your assistance, we kindly ask you to fill in our survey. The instruments considered are guitars, bass guitars, drums, keyboards, saxophones and trumpets. The survey should take about 20 minutes and the responses are completely anonymous. 

All data are used exclusively for academic (non-commercial) research in music. There is no funding involved. As musicians ourselves, we are interested to research this subject. By taking part in the study, you are supporting two academics in the early phases of their careers!

We have been given permission by the moderators to post our survey in this board. If you are interested in participating, please follow this link to visit the survey: https://www.soscisurvey.de/musicalgear/?r=9

Thank you very much for your support!

Best wishes from Germany,
Jan and Jonas 
MuGeSurvey
I enjoyed this survey, I think you came up with an interesting set of questions Good luck with your research.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Took quiz but fail to see how helpful it would really be.
Also answered it. Some stuff that was a little more out there than most survey's I've seen around, but I felt like some questions were too broad to give one answer.
Took the survey.

Interesting variety of question mechanisms.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Intersting parameters good luck with your results.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Answered.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Thanks everybody so far for participating. We can't really tell you what the survey is about at this point (you probably have figured it out yourself), but let me assure you that the idea and the instrument was appreciated by many colleagues at an international popular music conference last week. Such a survey, to our knowlege, has not been done before.

We still need some more participants, so if you haven't participated yet, please think about it Thank you!
My take on the survey.  They are investigating the relationship between musicians purchases, particular those driven by gasing over equipment, and addictive personalities.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by MuGeSurvey
Thanks everybody so far for participating. We can't really tell you what the survey is about at this point (you probably have figured it out yourself), but let me assure you that the idea and the instrument was appreciated by many colleagues at an international popular music conference last week. Such a survey, to our knowlege, has not been done before.

We still need some more participants, so if you haven't participated yet, please think about it Thank you!

Remember what you said about people not paying attention to forums. You just proved you haven't either. We get people posting similar surveys fairly often. Yours was clearly for advertising purposes. Perhaps if you actually took the time to read what's posted here and on similar forums you'd learn a lot more than with a survey that uses the same ?s
As the others (just more of them and perhaps stated a little better)
Quote by monwobobbo
Remember what you said about people not paying attention to forums. You just proved you haven't either. We get people posting similar  surveys fairly often. Yours was clearly for advertising purposes.  Perhaps if you actually took the time to read what's posted here and on similar forums you'd learn a lot more than with a survey that uses the same ?s  
As the others (just more of them and perhaps stated a little better)

I know that there are many similar surveys or polls in musicians forums but these have rarely been designed and executed for academic purposes and, to my knowledge, have not been investigated systematically in music research.
I know someone who got an MFA in studio art for knitting a blanket that went over their house.  #ACADEMICS
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by MuGeSurvey
I know that there are many similar surveys or polls in musicians forums but these have rarely been designed and executed for academic purposes and, to my knowledge, have not been investigated systematically in music research.

They all say they are for academic purposes and again we get them here all the time.

Yours reeks of someone trying to get info for advertising targeting. So far you have been real vague with what this is supposedly for.
Quote by monwobobbo
They all say they are for academic purposes and again we get them here all the time.

Yours reeks of someone trying to get info for advertising targeting. So far you have been real vague with what this is supposedly for.

Unfortunately we cannot provide you with more detailed information as long as the survey is taking place. Later, I could reference an earlier article (kind of a pre-study) showing what this survey is about. 
I can assure you that we don't intend to explore anything related to marketing. This survey is in the context of the academic disciplines of music technology, sociology of music and cultural studies and explores the relation between e.g. musical genres, attitudes towards equipment, kinds of bands and different person-related factors.
I checked on academic credentials before agreeing to allow this, as I do with all research requests.

If you have reason to believe someone has fraudulently misrepresented research to collect marketing data, please send me a private message.
took it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Done.

Look forward to seeing what the data is used for.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Done. 

Fully appreciate that that you can't enlighten further n the reason for the research. Will you return after your study is complete to provide the results?
Quote by darthbuttchin
Done. 

Fully appreciate that that you can't enlighten further n the reason for the research. Will you return after your study is complete to provide the results?

Probably when the product comes out after the sneaky advert post
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I took the survey but had to guess on a some of the questions.  I honestly don't know how many electric guitars I have.  I stopped counting them years ago and  along the same line who really knows how many fx pedals they own?
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 12, 2017,
Why is this a sticky?  I avoid surveys like the plague since the early '90s after constantly being bombarded at the malls with them.  People chasing you down with their clipboards saying "would you like to take a survey" was so annoying.  Internet surveys are even worse IMO.  
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Why is this a sticky?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Why is this a sticky?  I avoid surveys like the plague since the early '90s after constantly being bombarded at the malls with them.  People chasing you down with their clipboards saying "would you like to take a survey" was so annoying.  Internet surveys are even worse IMO.  

ask ROC. the folks involved with this contacted the site and asked permission. i guess they provided some kind of evidence that this was legit. 
It's stickied for a little while because it's a pretty unique piece of research. We've often had students doing projects asking basic questions, but this is more advanced academic research (by a professor and a graduate student) and their previous papers on similar topics were pretty good. 

Basically I think the publication will be interesting and useful when it's complete, and I thought it was worthwhile. If people don't like it here, we can reconsider for the future (this is the first time it's been done, anyway). I usually keep the stickies clean but summertime was slow and this seems to have gotten a mostly positive and interested response. 
Interesting enough I completed it with 100% honesty.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112