Hey guys, Just got a vintage Apollo drum kit handed to me by a family member. Going to clean it up and see what needs to be fixed. Looks really clean and everything is in pretty good shape. The mount for the rack tom is interesting, to say the least. 
Got 1 question (so far): The kick pedal has a broken drive strap. Is there any reason NOT to replace it with a kevlar or canvas type strap instead of leather?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Sometimes those old stencil kits end up sounding surprisingly good. Years ago, I had an old Lyra that vaguely resembled a 60s Slingerland, but sounded reminiscent of a late 70s Tama Imperialstar (fitting, given the parentage). Unfortunately, the bass drum was in such disrepair that it was pretty well unplayable. 

Unless the rest of the bass pedal is complete trash, I can't think of any logical reason not to replace the strap with something better. 
Rest of the pedal is in good shape. I'll use a modern alternative for the strap. So far, it sounds pretty good, too. Got some new heads and a new set of snare wires on the way.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals