Well, nowadays I'm down to only one electric guitar, and it has a floyd rose in it, is there any possible way to minimize how bad it performs if you use the bridge with chords? The strings don't change the pitch in a uniform way, so if I want to use the bridge to give a little texture in chords it goes COMPLETELY out of tune until it returns to the stable position, which didn't happen when I did it in my old strat for example. 

Any tips?? It is driving me insane.
What you're describing seems perfectly normal. The strings will all randomly detune because different gauges with different elasticities strung up to different tunings will not all detune at the same rate when diving or pulling up. It's simple physics.

Your strat probably did it too, you just might not have noticed.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
More springs and stiffer action will help. As mentioned strings don't detune evenly. A soft touch is needed as well
T00DEEPBLUE I never had the problem with the strat, it is a lot more accentuated with  the floyd, anyways, you profile picture has my favourite pokemon in it, so it might be that it is unfixable and my entire life is a lie hahaha
Last edited by luciferlightz7 at Jul 3, 2017,
monwobobbo Stiffer action is not a option for me, maybe I'll try the spring, it already has 3, wouldn't the bridge get stiffer too? Mine already is a bit stiff...  It's a " licensed " floyd style bridge by jackson, I'm not very happy with it.
Quote by luciferlightz7
Well, nowadays I'm down to only one electric guitar, and it has a floyd rose in it, is there any possible way to minimize how bad it performs if you use the bridge with chords? The strings don't change the pitch in a uniform way, so if I want to use the bridge to give a little texture in chords it goes COMPLETELY out of tune until it returns to the stable position, which didn't happen when I did it in my old strat for example. 

The only widely-available trem I'm aware of that maintains pitch while it's being used is the Steinberger TransTrem.

Neither the Floyd nor your old strat bridge (upon which the Floyd is loosely based) will do that.
Quote by luciferlightz7
monwobobbo Stiffer action is not a option for me, maybe I'll try the spring, it already has 3, wouldn't the bridge get stiffer too? Mine already is a bit stiff...  It's a " licensed " floyd style bridge by jackson, I'm not very happy with it.

more springs makes for stiffer action o the bridge (movement of bridge not playing action of guitar). only way you really are going to get what you want. 
monwobobbo I  thought you said that increasing strings action would help, that's why I said it was not an option, my bad haha. As for the bridge as I already stated mine doesn't feels good, but if it solves, I'd rather have a stiffer bridge that works a bit more even than having what I have now.
If my memory doesn't fails me, steinberger guitars were ugly as hell hahaha
Quote by luciferlightz7
monwobobbo
If my memory doesn't fails me, steinberger guitars were ugly as hell hahaha

That really didn't stop folks like Eddy Van Halen from using them (he does, still), but you're right, the Steinbergers weren't particularly attractive.
The trem itself, however, is pretty normal looking. There have been several variations on it; the original required special strings. I believe they have a model now that does not.
Quote by monwobobbo
more springs makes for stiffer action o the bridge (movement of bridge not playing action of guitar). only way you really are going to get what you want. 

Won't help -- the Floyd isn't designed to maintain the intervals between notes.
dspellman Those bridges only comes with steinberger guitars right? I just don't feel like getting an expensive headache I won't be comfortable to gig with, the money I would spend on that could improve a lot of little things that will make my overall playing better than a different bridge would.  Also I've just watched youtube videos from TransTrem bridged guitars and they provide that really smooth and even "glissando" feeling with chords, a very uniform pitch shifting, sounds like playing with a slide, I definitely never heard that from my strat... At this moment I'm just curious WHY the strat bridge performed better than the floyd In chords. I thought it could be solved with some adjustments.
Last edited by luciferlightz7 at Jul 3, 2017,
Quote by luciferlightz7
dspellman Those bridges only comes with steinberger guitars right? I just don't feel like getting an expensive headache I won't be comfortable to gig with, the money I would spend on that could improve a lot of little things that will make my overall playing better than a different bridge would.

Last I heard (probably 2009 or so), the only place you could buy Steinberger transtrems and parts was Ed Roman in Las Vegas. Ed died in, I dunno, December of 2011 or so, and the last I heard the store was still open. They're seriously expensive if you find one, and getting the stringsets for them will be a hunt.

The patent for them HAS run out, so you could conceivably build them for sale, but so far no one has been willing to foot the tooling price, far as I know. I think Gibson owns the brand name (but because the patent has run out has no control over the trem).

In order to put a Steinberger on an existing guitar, you'd obviously (not obviously?) have to change the routing and all that, so it's not something you'll want to do on an existing guitar as an upgrade. I've never felt particularly motivated to add that to the hardware around here -- I have a long way to go before my playing has caught up to what I have now.
Quote by dspellman
Won't help -- the Floyd isn't designed to maintain the intervals between notes.

will help with sublte vibrato like he s talking.  no the pitches won't stay even but trem won't be as wobbly. will behave more ike a bigby. 
monwobobbo I do hope it works for the subtle vibrato articulations and also don't be too stiff to get in the way of the old floyd rose bag of tricks... I'll report back when I get hold of an additional spring.
Quote by luciferlightz7
monwobobbo I do hope it works for the subtle vibrato articulations and also don't be too stiff to get in the way of the old floyd rose bag of tricks... I'll report back when I get hold of an additional spring.

well it may compromise some of the flutter tricks. kind of a you can't have everything situation. you may have to take some time to find out how much tension works reasonably for both. 
If you intend to do bend while still able to keep the Floyd rose flutter dives or pull ups.. you need something that can hold the trem steady yet allow the trem to do what a floyd is good at.. get a Super-vee Maglok anti-defection trem stabilizer.. I have one on my Washburn maverick bt6 and Fender Upgraded partscaster (set to float).. I will try post pictures later.

Here are some picture of the Washburn maverick BT6 (Takeuchi floyd rose MiJ)

floating floyd rose trem

Maglok

Fender Upgraded Partscaster (Super-vee Bladerunner with Graphtech string saver saddle)
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Jul 3, 2017,
The only reason I can think that your strat trem did it better than your Floyd is the levelness of the baseplate from side to side.  Your Strat''s baseplate was more than likely set at the same height on both sides whereas your Floyd is probably set higher on one side.  I always found Floyd's to perform their best with the studs/baseplate (action) to be set at the same height on both sides.  

When it is higher on one side it makes a dramatic angle (basically the entire bridge is crooked) while pulling/diving the trem.  When they are both set the same height it detunes all the strings much more evenly.  With a Floyd IMO it is best to have the action set evenly across the board, it holds tuning better, it flutters better, and it keeps a more even pull on all the strings while being used.       
Quote by luciferlightz7
dspellman Those bridges only comes with steinberger guitars right? I just don't feel like getting an expensive headache I won't be comfortable to gig with, the money I would spend on that could improve a lot of little things that will make my overall playing better than a different bridge would.  Also I've just watched youtube videos from TransTrem bridged guitars and they provide that really smooth and even "glissando" feeling with chords, a very uniform pitch shifting, sounds like playing with a slide, I definitely never heard that from my strat... At this moment I'm just curious WHY the strat bridge performed better than the floyd In chords. I thought it could be solved with some adjustments.

It's probably just because a strat trem typically doesn't have the same range of motion as a Floyd.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
psp742 I'm going to have to give the Maglok a try!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge