Hi,

Six months ago, I change the strings of my old cheap Cort guitar with Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt 10-46. I felt my guitar was transfigured: a more powerful sound with more harmonics. The pickups are poor and these strings improve the sound.  

Then I have bought a Fender Mexican Deluxe Stratocaster HSS, delighted by its sound. After a few months, it was needed to change the original strings (Fender® USA, NPS, .009-.042 Gauges). So I bought Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt 9-46, thinking it will be great also on my strat. The result is:
- more powerful sound: I am obliged to lower the guitar volume to 7 instead of 10,
- more harmonics. The sound is very metallic, and the E A D strings sound like a harpsichord... It can be acceptable with distortion but I don't like it at all with clean sound.

After playing two days, I feel like I have destroyed the delightful sound of my strat  ! Happily, it is reversible and I am thinking about my next strings set :

- Which strings do you use with your strat ?
- Should I use only Fender strings to keep the character of the strat ?
- Or have you found other strings improving its sound ? 
I don't have a very good strat and i don't know much about strings but my favorite strings to get are D'Addario Nickel wound 10-46. I'm sure you can't go wrong with them.
Strings are pretty personal, but part of your problem may be that you went up on the gauge of the low strings, which may have thrown off the setup on your Strat. Maybe not, but the simplest solution to me seems to be to get a set of 9-42 strings and put them on there. There are differences between brands, but in terms of tone it shouldn't be huge. You may also just like the sound of warn in strings better. I know I do.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
how old were the strings you had on it before? some of what you describe seems to be the sound of new strings not some radical change in your guitar. i use D'Addario .09s on my strats and have for years they work and sound fine. 
I think what you're describing is at least partly new string sound. I prefer slightly worn strings myself. 

On my G&L not-Strat, I use Ernie Ball 10-46s, but on my MIJ Squier Strat I use D'Addario 12-56s because surf. Previously I'd used 9-42s on the G&L and liked those alright, but I feel like I can dig in a bit more with 10s. 
I use D'Adarrio EXL 115 W's on my Strat.
They're 11's with a wound 3rd.
Be excellent to each other ☺
Paully
monwobobbo 
Quote by monwobobbo
how old were the strings you had on it before? some of what you describe seems to be the sound of new strings not some radical change in your guitar. i use D'Addario .09s on my strats and have for years they work and sound fine. 

I bought my strat in April, but I don't know how long it stayed in the shop with those strings... 
I will wait and see how the sound of these new strings evolve in the next weeks. I will record their sound regularly. It can be interesting.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Strings are pretty personal, but part of your problem may be that you went up on the gauge of the low strings, which may have thrown off the setup on your Strat.  Maybe not, but the simplest solution to me seems to be to get a set of 9-42 strings and put them on there.  There are differences between brands, but in terms of tone it shouldn't be huge.  You may also just like the sound of warn in strings better.  I know I do.

Perhaps it is the gauge or the cobalt alloy (it rings with more harmonics and have a more powerful effect on the pickups). 
It seems that the setup of the strat is a subtle equilibrium. And I feel I have disturbed it.
Thank you for all your answers. It seems there is a good consensus on the D'Addario brand. I will try it next time.
But I am quite surprised: nobody use Fender strings on its Fender Strat ? 
Last edited by 314159 at Jul 4, 2017,
When you start looking at strings with new technology, most of them will claim to be brighter with more output. That's pretty much the opposite of what you want when playing a Strat. I prefer going old-school when it comes to strings. I use DR Pure Blues or GHS Nickel Rockers. They're both pure nickel. The Nickel Rockers are rollerwound and the Pure Blues are roundwound. The Nickel Rockers are warmer with softer attack which you might love or hate. The Pure Blues are the safe choice.
I used to use Fender strings, but really it is just easier for me to buy in bulk, so I buy D'addario 9-42 for all of my guitars in packages of 10 at a time.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.