So I have a Marshall MX212 cabinet with stock Celestion Seventy 80 speakers, and I really don't like how they sound at all. So I want to put in a couple Vintage 30's.

Now I've never installed speakers or anything really like it, so I'm just wondering, am I going to be able to swap them  in exactly like the stock ones, or will I have to do any re-wiring?
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by MusicMan24
So I have a Marshall MX212 cabinet with stock Celestion Seventy 80 speakers, and I really don't like how they sound at all. So I want to put in a couple Vintage 30's.

Now I've never installed speakers or anything really like it, so I'm just wondering, am I going to be able to swap them  in exactly like the stock ones, or will I have to do any re-wiring?
depends if the wires are crimped with an end terminal. If they are you can just do the same thing as long as the ohms are the same as the new speakers. even if they arent crimped its not hard to solder them in. But you want make sure you get the ohms correct. unless you want wire it differently and go higher or lower ohms.
Vintage 30s are very common already loaded into cabs- you may well be able to pick up a better cab than yours which is already loaded with V30s for not much more than buying V30s separately (especially if you sell your current cab). And that's probably a better idea, unless you really just want to do some DIY for fun.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MusicMan24

Swapping speakers is so easy a third-grader could do it. The wiring, moreso.

You need to know that if you're putting new V30's into a cabinet, they're going to sound a bit different from when they've finally been broken in. Don't evaluate them for sound until they've been used hard for a few months.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 4, 2017,