I'm 14 and my dad is scheduling me with a teacher who is supposedly going to teach me to read music. How hard will it be and what should I expect?
insufferable boredom.

no i kid. but while reading music is something you should learn, reading tabs (see tab section of UG if you haven't already) is probably more helpful to a guitar player. (at least it was for me).

good luck, there are countless youtube vids as well for learning that have helped me a bunch.
Do you WANT to learn to read sheet music? I don't know of any 14 year old that would, but maybe you're an exception.
Honestly, simply learning the basics of reading music is really going to improve your understanding of music and how to listen to it.  I don't find it all that useful on a day to day basis unless your playing jazz or classical, but the simple act of learning note durations and beat subdivisions etc. really helps you hear music better.

It's definitely worth doing for a while at least. 

I would suggest starting with researching counting rhythms.  That will help you get prepared.  The actual "note" reading is the easy part, the rythms are where things get tough. 
Yea what that guy said. I don't use it day to day but the bits you learn help your understanding what you are actually playing, how chords are put together, different keys to play in as well as intervals and scales. Some of that stuff makes more sense when seen in sheet music.

Having said that at you are only young. Do whatever you enjoy and makes you want to play more and improve.
When I was a kid I went to a lousy piano teacher and learned very little, OTOH, my mate went to a good teacher, and he eventually went on to become a part-time keyboard pro playing on cruise ships and the like when his architect's business went through slack spells. The points of this story are 1) you need a good teacher and 2) you don't know where the musical road will lead you. So give it a fair go. I wish I had had a good teacher and learned more theory, especially reading standard notation, when I was young.
Unless you are talking about classical lessons, I think you should expect to be reading and playing some of the most corny and lame songs ever written.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
I'm guessing you see one of these...

Go Tell Aunt Rhody
Jimmy Crack Corn
I know an old lady
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Why do people treat musical literacy as some sort of monumental task? I teach a 7 year old who does this.

Learning to read from staff is easy, and nobody expects you to sight read unless you go to college for music or want really serious jazz/classical gigs.

There is literally no downside to being able to read music. It's challenging for a few weeks but you'll get over it.

You should ask to get initiated with some music that's actually worth writing down, like jazz or classical. You may not be a big fan of those, but they're way better than the cheesy af tunes you'll get from a generic instructional book. You might even fall in love with those styles once you learn to find the groove and emotional content on the written page.

And do keep in mind that you aren't taking lessons just to learn songs. You do that on your time. The music you learn in your lessons is a vehicle for skill building all around. You'll have to learn some less-than-awesome music, but your job as a musician is to find/create the musical interest and perform to the best of your ability no matter your opinion of the music itself. Every piece of music has something to learn and express.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jul 6, 2017,
Learning to read music is not all that hard. Somewhat boring at first but the hard part is translating what the staff is saying to your fretboard. Once you have your fretboard memorized it gets a lot easier. I know very few people that actually sight read music. Mostly what I do is take the music and translate it to tab and the play it from there. It really opened up the amount of music that was available to me. Once you can read music you are no longer limited to what others know how to play to show you or to what someone has decided to tab out for guitar.

As to what you can expect, expect  a lot  of exercises intended to help teach you the fretboard. (simple songs, scale exercises and what not), as well as some book work so you know what your looking at on the staff. The further you get into it the more interesting, fun and complicated the music will become.
It seems that there is this fundamental misconception between learning how to read music, and learning how to sight read music; they're two completely different things. Learning how to read music is one of the healthiest things a musician can do, regardless if you play classical, jazz, or just pop/rock; it's a skill that will open up your understanding of music to a much greater level, as well your appreciation for it. It'll also greatly aid you in your ability to learn music theory, something I believe everyone should at least learn the basics of, as being able to see the music visually laid out on the staff makes the process so much easier and intuitive, and it honestly doesn't take long to learn. And if you want to be able to effectively communicate with other musicians, it's kind of a must, you're pianist, drummer or singer won't be able to read tabs.

Sight reading is a different skill, though it obviously requires the ability to read music as well. Sight reading is the ability to perform a piece of written music whilst reading it, like reading a script out loud without having read it before. You're able to scan ahead and chunk the information on the page into packets that the brain can perform the "script" or "score" instantaneously. It goes without saying that this requires an extremely thorough understanding of the fretboard, chords, scales etc. 

Your teacher is going to be teaching you the former, so don't worry. You're 14, no one's expecting you to be able to sight read, I've been playing for 8 years and I still can't do it, but I can read music and it has made a huge leap in my musicianship (though if someone handed me a score I'd still be able to play it, I'd just have to study it first). It's unlikely you'll ever need to sight read anyway, unless you want to become a jazz/classical musician, you'll mostly have to deal with chord charts, and relying more on your ear rather than notated scores (be it standard notation or tabs). I wish my teacher taught me to read music when I was 14, it's a skill that I regret not learning sooner.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
I think you ought to go for it.  It will be of great value in life. What instrument are you playing mostly? Best instrument to learn to read and understand musin on is the piano. Get into the theory of music. Who knows you might be the next YJM (Malmsten), I think I spelt that correctly . Anyway with music just have fun, don't think it as work. I had some ruff teachers growing up but it taught me how not to teach, but now I understand them. I don't teach anymore, except for the truly advanced student, still fun for me and them, never a loss. For me, music is truly the universal expression. The same everywhere. I hope you do well.