What do you guys think? I have one coming my way that I'd like to boost with a TS-808 and TS9
This is for an extreme metal, thrash, technical metal tone.
The seller had it serviced and it has a Voodoo mod done on it but not sure which one.
My chain would be guitar-tuner-TS9-ADA MP1-ISP Decimator in the loops-Boss GE7 EQ-Torpedo Live
Do you guys think I can pull off that kind of tone with the ADA MP1? Any feedback is appreciated.

(I am a big fan of amps like the Ampeg VH-140c and Randall RG1503 for this)
Last edited by HighGainManiac at Jul 4, 2017,
It's hard to know until you try.  It is a nice sounding preamp, for sure -- but I just spent 15 minutes or so looking at Youtube videos of it and I couldn't find a single  video of anyone using it for anything but dad rock or Van Halen worship.  It sounds like it would definitely have enough gain for thrash (especially boosted by a TS), but if you're playing any kind of death metal I'm not sure.  A lot of it will depend on what kind of power amp and cab you run it through.  With a big cab w/ V30s and a power amp running 6l6's I'd think you could get a pretty good extreme metal tone out of it (again, boosted).  It sounds pretty much like a typical 80s Marshall tone, which is what a lot of the early thrash and even death metal bands used.  You'd maybe even need a more serious boost to get into extreme genres, but you didn't specify exactly what kind of "extreme" metal you'd be playing.  I think the ADA would sound awesome with a Boss HM-2 boosting it, but that's an acquired taste.  I'm assuming you'd be getting a pretty good deal on this?  I'd be curious to find out how it goes! 
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
It can do decent Slayer or Metallica 80s sounds at its most brutal. Might work...dunno. I still have mine and occasionally gets some use thru a slightly dirty amp setup (Orange Tiny Terror). I am not sure I'd watn to boost the front end on it as it already has two preamp tubes that can go up to 10 and after you put both of them at 6 its starts to sound overcooked.
Quote by diabolical
It can do decent Slayer or Metallica 80s sounds at its most brutal. Might work...dunno. I still have mine and occasionally gets some use thru a slightly dirty amp setup (Orange Tiny Terror). I am not sure I'd watn to boost the front end on it as it already has two preamp tubes that can go up to 10 and after you put both of them at 6 its starts to sound overcooked.

TBF didn't Metallica only use the MP-1 for leads and very sparingly? AFAIK most of their tones from KEA to RTL are modded Marshalls and then from MOP to Maybe Load or Reload they were using Mesas (Mark II c+ and Mark IVs + recto preamps later on) with a bit of Marshall mixed in.

Most of the guitar tones that I associate as mainly MP-1 tones are hair metal stuff since it was quite popular in the genre.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I know one guy that used the ADA MP-1 heavily onstage and in studio was Andreas Kisser from Sepultura. Even Max used the ADA MP-1, do a Google search for "Sepultura ADA MP-1" and you'll find an article where it mentions him using the MP-1 with Nailbomb sometimes.
I am hoping that with the Voodoo mod plus a boost and EQ in the loop, this thing can pull of tones like that and slightly heavier such as Deicide, Suffocation, Internal Bleeding, Deeds Of Flesh etc.
It will be interesting for sure. Jason Becker and Marty Friedman used these, one of my favorite jazz/fusion players, Bill Connors was using the ADA MP-1's as well.
KailM: I am going to be running this mainly through Two Notes Torpedo Live and/or Reload out a PC setup with JBL monitors. Two Notes stuff is great because it can simulate various power-amps and speaker/cab configs, etc. I really like the tone of amps like Soldano, which is hot-rodded Marshall if I'm not mistaken here, to me it's an excellent foundation for a brutal high-gain sound. So ADA's might work. I agree the Boss HM-2 is a very good boost pedal, Metal Zones can be used as boost pedals too (some guys like Cryptopsy used to use those by themselves with power amps and EMG81s.)
I just love boosting high gain amps with Tubescreamer type pedals and learning really how to dial in the amp to not overdo it with too much gain. We will see how it goes with the MP-1, hopefully the Voodoo mod is a good one.
Last edited by HighGainManiac at Jul 4, 2017,
The MP-1 was mostly used on Wagener's production "Master of Puppets" and oftentimes he did it without the band knowing (reamping, etc.). Kirk from what I remember cut some leads thru it.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/36736-questions-michael-wagener.html
Quote by diabolical
The MP-1 was mostly used on Wagener's production "Master of Puppets" and oftentimes he did it without the band knowing (reamping, etc.). Kirk from what I remember cut some leads thru it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Wagener only did the mixing for MoP and not the tracking (which was done by Flemming Rasmussen)? If that's the case then I'm not sure he would've been doing much re-amping.

EDIT: Found a forum post where he is answering a Q&A and he mentions that Flemming is the one that chose and tracked the amps so Wagener was just doing the mixing:

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89313&sid=c66f6aab30b3e1f35ffae2db0ed698b2&start=50#p1061049 

Bottom of page two is his post about it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jul 5, 2017,
You can find Wagener interviews where he goes into detail. These are available as I remember that I've read or listened to them.

Here's me going thru the ADA with IRs

https://m.soundcloud.com/egregoreband/dusting-off-the-ada-mp-1-through-amplitube3-speaker-ir
Quote by diabolical
You can find Wagener interviews where he goes into detail. These are available as I remember that I've read or listened to them.

Here's me going thru the ADA with IRs

https://m.soundcloud.com/egregoreband/dusting-off-the-ada-mp-1-through-amplitube3-speaker-ir

Ive read a few and I cant find a single mention of him doing tracking for MoP (even in the one you linked) and the link I posted is from him saying that he didnt. Do you have other sources?

Also here is a post from flemming mentioning what they used for tracking on MoP:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/58664-condenser-mic-identification-metallica-2.html
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jul 5, 2017,
Maybe this interview?

I remember running into something where he even explained exactly what he did on what songs, etc. but since he is selling workshops now it might've been pulled.

Personally, I've never been impressed with Metallica's production but for the Black album Bob Rock kills on that), so I never tried to emulate that sound. The ADA is an analog tube preamp which sounds good and was cheap when I bought it.
At the time I got it, it never managed to undermine my Marshall JCM900 head, and later my Sansamp PSA-1 preamp, so it stayed at home as second option when tracking. It has never been my main sound.
Quote by diabolical
Maybe this interview?

I remember running into something where he even explained exactly what he did on what songs, etc. but since he is selling workshops now it might've been pulled.

Personally, I've never been impressed with Metallica's production but for the Black album Bob Rock kills on that), so I never tried to emulate that sound. The ADA is an analog tube preamp which sounds good and was cheap when I bought it.
At the time I got it, it never managed to undermine my Marshall JCM900 head, and later my Sansamp PSA-1 preamp, so it stayed at home as second option when tracking. It has never been my main sound.

Ill give it a listen when I am at a computer
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I also found this info:

It seems that Wagener was actually involved in tracking on that album? From what I could find here it seems that Rassmussen did RTL and AJFA as recording engineer, mix was taken from him on both, I think Wagener did mix on RTL, don't remember who did AJFA...or again I might be wrong...

Here's an interview with Fleming Rassmussen
http://www.soundonsound.com/people/metallica-one-classic-tracks
Quote by diabolical
I also found this info:

It seems that Wagener was actually involved in tracking on that album? From what I could find here it seems that Rassmussen did RTL and AJFA as recording engineer, mix was taken from him on both, I think Wagener did mix on RTL, don't remember who did AJFA...or again I might be wrong...

Here's an interview with Fleming Rassmussen
http://www.soundonsound.com/people/metallica-one-classic-tracks

Your gearslutz link you posted is the same one you posted and it says nothing about it. Also the audio you posted previously had no metallica. All hair bands.

Does this audio clip you posted actually say anything about reamping and the ada? Because nothing so far has and I have already posted a few things that contradict it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^ actually if you did thru the Wagener stuff, it is in there, he talks about the ADA and Metallica somewhere in there on Gearsluts.
I honestly don't care to sift thru it as I personally don't think it is a big deal as that sound is not something that interests me much.
I actually tried the Wagener Metallica patch as listed according to his assistant and was OK, it does sound like them if you put it thru a tube amp's fx return. It does sound a bit dated or very dated, depends how you look at it. I wasn't and still am not a big fan of their sound. I liked Slayer's sound much more thru that era and they played pretty much JCM800 stacks as they came off the assembly line.
AFAIK the ADA was just for leads and cleans but I agree. Its not a big deal.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Well guys the Voodoo-modded MP1 came today. To test it I ran it through a Randall Warhead 2x12 combo's power amp section and used my TS-808 straight in and ISP Decimator + EQ in the loop. Jackson Kelly KE3R tuned to Eb with Duncan '59 and Custom.

Not sure if the regular ADA-MP1s can get this heavy but IMO the Voodoo mod is a cool one... so far so good. This thing is crushing, and is capable of great thrash tones. It can pull off brutal and technical tones with ease, after a bit of experimenting. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to tweak a preset, and got an excellent start for a tight and technical death metal tone. The ADA MP-1 has two levels of distortion running at all times, and how you manipulate the gain of each, really has an effect on the tone. It does need post processing, EQ, noise gates, etc to sound its best for sure. It's a rock, metal, and lead/solo machine. Both clean modes sound great. Boosting this puppy is very effective to goose the distortion with. Maybe that tube has something to do with it (?) Noise is not worse than any other uber-high-gain amp. And this is a very nice, sweet sounding preamp as well.
Very pleased with the ADA MP1.
Last edited by HighGainManiac at Jul 6, 2017,