I'd like to buy a new gadget: I'm thinking about a new modelling amp or a multiefffect.

My setup: years ago I sold all my tube amps / cabinet as I just play at home and I haven't playing guitar very much, all I've left is a Valvetronix combo and my old Strat, while for my bass I have a zoom b3 + a couple of active speakers (maudio bx8). My bass setup is good for me as I always play along  with some youtube / mp3, it does not take much space, it's versatile as I can play at any volume and totally change my sound as  my playlist goes along. And it's good for plain music listening.

So now I'd like to see if there's something new / better for my guitar, I'm fond of my Valvetronix as I can get decent sounds with dynamics,  a nice warm sound (I play blues / rock) and it's very simple to use so I'm considering the Roland Katana as a step up.
I'm wondering if as I already have a pair of decent active speakers would it be better for me to get just the GT-001 (I'd like a desktop small box) with those.
As said I play blues / old rock, actually I don't need a lot of effects  but I'd like to have a good break-up distortion with nice dynamic, so I need a good modelling amp / cab sim if I have to use flat speakers.

On paper the GT-001 looks better but I had other multieffects units  in  the past and they were good  for heavy distortion or stupid-heavy sinthed sounds, while combo amps get good reviews for a final decent / usable "sound".  

Price is almost the same (considering a Katana 50 / 100), the GT-001 could be a little less as I'm more comfortable to get a used unit.
What do you suggest? Am I wrong to think that a  combo as an integrated units just throw out a decent sound vs a more exquisite effect unit + active speakers?
Last edited by eaman at Jul 4, 2017,
Have you considered getting an interface so you can hook up to your PC & use amp sims & plugins?  That way you'd get access to unlimited effects and amps rather than sticking with whatever was included on the multi effects pedal you buy.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Have you considered getting an interface so you can hook up to your PC & use amp sims & plugins?  That way you'd get access to unlimited effects and amps rather than sticking with whatever was included on the multi effects pedal you buy.

Well I already have the Zoom as AD/DA interface, I tried Guitar Ring and similars but I just can't stand windows, latency, cpu usage issues. All those distractions kills it for me.
I'd prefer to have some dedicated hardware that can work on its own, but thanks for the advice, it's a good advice as you can listen to the sound of the guitar though the active speakers. 

Whop I just found a GT001 for 120euro in my town, may just have a try with that...
eaman TBH, I prefer dedicated hardware for everything as well, I've never got on with hooking up my guitar to my PC.  As multi effects go, when I was shopping around some time ago I settled on the Zoom G3 (guitar equivalent of your bass pedal) as being the best all-rounder for my needs.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I can't speak about the GT-001 but I have had the Katana 100 since January and as far as amps go, I think it is the best amp I have ever used for gigs in my 40 years of playing. It has everything I could ask for and access to 55 very usable effects pedals modals that can download to the Katana (50 or 100) in a few seconds at the BOSS Tone Central site free of charge. That's like buying 55 BOSS effects pedals. You can store any 15 effects pedals at a time and do some intense tweaking of each pedal on the site then hit the "Write" button and it's loaded back to your amp. The amp has a number of options for output; a line out, a USB out, headphone out etc. You can plug the USB into your computer directly and record. If you decide to record with a live mic you will always have that option and if need to gig with it, you'll have a great amp. I have the 100 watt version but I run it on the 50 watt setting at gigs and it's plenty loud at that level. I can't get it over 11:00 on the master volume in good sized rooms.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 5, 2017,
Only thing I'll add is that gigging sounds and home playing sound often are quite different, that's one of the reasons why I find modelers so hard to work with as you have to get your band and do all your settings tweaks at full band volume...with a PC attached.

For home use, personally, I'd rather go for a modeler, as you can always amplify it as needed, although the GT-001 would be hard to play with live due to the fact that it is a tabletop processor. You can get the GT-100 but that is more $$$.

There are quite a few things that I like about Amplifire as well, but some of the things are quite offputting, such as the fact that they're a contained company and don't have dealers, you have to buy direct, adding extra amps/effects you have to pay for additional packs, etc. You just don't know when support for the whole product will drop and they'll close shop. MIght be wrong, talked to them via few emails and wasn't impressed by the lack of friendliness...not that Boss customer support is any better but a lot more people use them and it is a company that'll most likely stay afloat for a long time in the future.
Quote by diabolical

There are quite a few things that I like about Amplifire as well, but some of the things are quite offputting, such as the fact that they're a contained company and don't have dealers, you have to buy direct,

This is technically false. Andertons sell Amplifires in their stores. I even got to meet Capt. Lee himself when I was demoing one before buying it.

I know most people don't have access to that luxury though.
 adding extra amps/effects you have to pay for additional packs, etc. 

Nah, Gregs'll hook you up.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by diabolical
OK, I'll go to Andertons and demo one. Do you know the closest one to me? I live in Houston, Texas. Thanks!

I don't think someone who lives in the US has much room to complain about what gear is unavailable to them to try out before buying compared to what other countries don't get.

That and I was being facetious.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE it used to be better, now the music shops around here are getting smaller and carry much less inventory. I remember we had a Soldano, VHT/Fryette dealers in town, that are now gone. Guitar Center carries cheap kiddie stuff...the closest good guitar store is the http://austinguitarhouse.com/ which is about 2:15hrs from here, which I guess is not too bad still compared to India
I know, I was joking too. BTW, considering how unknown Amplifire are in the States, the uppity email response that I got is not helping me want to take a $600 or so plunge into the unknown. Maybe an endorsement one day
Right now I'm testing again Guitar Rig on my big PC, more powerful than my laptop and the whole things kinda works decently with some 6ms latency (after fighting with asio drivers: Zoom ones gave me ~16ms latency). Still it's "a lot", I'd prefer a small unit, having to boot a PC and keep a monitor / mouse around is quite a distraction for me. But I get  how for  someone who wants to DAW and test a lot of downloadable stuff it would make sense.

On topic: at the moment I found a used gt-001 for 120e (seller is close to me), while a Katana 50w goes for like 180e brand new. Price wise I guess that it would be sound to get the Boss, test it and in case I don't like it sell it for almost the same price, the Katana beeing an amp would be more a pain to pack / resell... 

Oh I found a 100w demo Katana in a shop nearby, 230e, at least I can take a trip and check it out.