First of all ,I just signed up  So i dont know is this the true section for this. Well, i wanna play bass in a band at university or maybe after .Therefore  i dont know what kind of bass guitar should i buy in the future. i saw fretless and fret version of bass guitar. fretless version looks very cool. Is there any big diffrences between fretless and fretly bass guitar ? To be honest , i have a very good music ear  . So i thought  fretless one should'nt hard for me. Which one should i buy ? Fretless ones are in my mind for now. because it's view is amazing   
What genre of music?
What budget do you have?
Location?
Have you tried fretted vs fretless basses?

What amp do you have?
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
It doesn't make a lot of sense to buy an instrument based upon how cool it looks. The first thing for someone starting out is playability and then how it sounds. The nicer it is to play the more you'll want to go back to it and practice. If it sounds good then that's a big boost to your interest.

Honestly I'd go for a used Fender Jazz clone. There are loads of good quality copies out there including Squier, Fender's own cheap version. Having two pickups gives you a range of tones and the jazz has a nice slim, fast neck which most of us find comfortable. Give it a year and you'll have your own informed opinions about which basses you like and it'll hold it's value when you upgrade. A lot of people make PJ basses(one fender style precision pickup and one jazz style) usually with a jazz style neck and these are good too. Look for Squier, Cort, Yamaha and many, many others. There's some good suggestions in the FAQ's as well.

Did you have a budget in mind? Don't forget you'll need an amp.
bjgrifter     Psychedelic Rock and Progressive rock Genres.

Budget will may be 1000 or 1500 Turkish liras , which means 271 dollar or 421 dollars.

Like i said , i didnt play bass before.

I dont have amp yet. 
Last edited by LennyMelly at Jul 5, 2017,
Phil Starr  Thanks for your reply but its very hard to understand that words Like i said , i'm totally noob about these topics.  my budget will may be 1000 or 1500 Turkish liras which means 270 to 421 dollars .   Trademark doenst matter , will fretless bass hard for newbies ? All i wanna know is that question. Our band genre will be Psychedelic Rock and Progressive rock . so i thought fretless one would be more nice in sound. Its very hard to find cheap  instrument, because its expensive as hell. 
Sorry, I didn't realise English is your second language. Fretless is harder to play. You should be able to find a good bass for $270. Good luck
Yeah, a Squier or Yamaha would be your best bets for the price.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by LennyMelly
Is there any big diffrences between fretless and fretly bass guitar ?

Fretless basses don't have frets (well, duh) which affects the way it feels to play quite a bit. You need more precise technique to make fretless sound good. I mean, even if you have a good ear and can tune to the right pitch, that doesn't necessarily help (on its own) if your fretting hand is not accurate. You don't want to slide to the correct pitch - you want the note to be already in tune when you play it. On fretted bass this problem doesn't exist.

But of course if you want the fretless tone, you should buy one. But remember that fretless bass just isn't used that much in music in general, so if the music that you want to play uses fretted bass (like most music), a fretted bass would probably be a better choice as your first bass.

Have you listened to any bassists who use fretless bass? Do you like the tone? It's really all about your preferences. If fretless bass is what you want, then you should buy a fretless bass.

Whether fretless or fretted is easier to play doesn't matter. You don't learn to play an instrument because it's easy. You learn to play it because you want to learn to play it. If you don't like the fretted bass and would rather learn fretless bass, you won't enjoy practicing as much and you won't make progress. Fretless bass has its challenges but I don't think it's really that much more difficult than fretted bass. Also, you will most likely focus on a bit different things because different things work on fretless and fretted basses.

It's the same thing as the "starting with acoustic vs electric" discussion - get an acoustic if you want to play acoustic and get an electric if you want to play electric.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Feeling in one thing--but make sure you really love the sound.  One could argue between fretted basses there are sound differences, but a fretless bass sounds completely different.   The tone is beautiful but not one that works in all songs.
But remember that fretless bass just isn't used that much in music in general, so if the music that you want to play uses fretted bass (like most music), a fretted bass would probably be a better choice as your first bass.

Then should my fretless bass lined like fretted ? i mean there is no frets but it looks like it fretted with lines . i hope you get what i mean  And i've looked to youtube and saw a bass like i told you its fretless but it has lines. so it would be more nice , wouldnt it ? 
Quote by LennyMelly
Then should my fretless bass lined like fretted ? i mean there is no frets but it looks like it fretted with lines . i hope you get what i mean  And i've looked to youtube and saw a bass like i told you its fretless but it has lines. so it would be more nice , wouldnt it ? 

Fretless basses have no marks on the neck for the most part. They have the position dots on the top, but that's about it.
What brands do you have access to where you live?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
You can get fretless basses which have lines where the frets would be; this makes it a lot easier to put your finger in the right place when you are learning (and later too!).

Most guitars & basses have dots in the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 12th, etc. frets and most guitarists understand them. Some fretless basses have dots in those positions on the upper edge of the fingerboard , which helps with your positioning; sometimes the dots are in the same place as on a fretted (ie. half-way between where the frets would be) and sometimes they are on the fret location (I have one like that).

I was going to suggest starting with a fretted bass, but then I thought "why?"; perhaps you'd be just as well starting as you mean to continue and going fretless from the outset. However, bear in mind that a fretted bass has the precise semitone notes laid out for you, whereas on a fretless you have to place your finger in precisely the correct place.

As for the instrument, I always advise buying a used one, as you'll get a better instrument for the same money. Of course, you need to be sure that it is in good condition - scratches and signs of use are fine, but a warped neck and suchlike say "problem". You also need to beware of fakes (especially Squiers or other copies with Fender logos), so be careful!
If you get a fretless one, get one with lines. 

They help quite a bit. 
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100