I would like  help picking a Gibson les paul originally I was going to get the classic HP after trying it out , apart from it sounding great  I really like the  neck and back has a  flat  side good for soloing  , but sadly  its out of my price range ,  I have £1,350  to spend and for that I could get the les paul classic T , Les paul studio HP  ,  Traditional  T ,   just don't know which one I should get?
Honestly with Gibsons your best bet is to try them out. They are a bit pricey considering what youre getting and youre paying a lot of premium for the name so its really a good idea to try them out and not just order a model cause you think an LP Classic will be good for you.

If I was in your shoes though I would go MIJ with LPs. Especially with that budget.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You're paying an awful lot for the name with Gibson. There do exist good ones out there, but the quality control of Gibsons is infamous for being inexcusably poor and sadly it's been that way for a long time now. Some are just flat out JUNK, and I'm not talking about the cheap ones either.

You have lots of good MIJ options for your budget that offer much nicer features and far more consistent levels of craftsmanship. 
FGN, Edwards, Tokai, Greco and Burny (just to name a few) offer guitars at that budget that blow similarly priced Gibsons out of the water.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
You might try the Studio HP and see how it compares to the Classic HP model you like. Not sure of prices where you are from but maybe a used Classic HP? 
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You're paying an awful lot for the name with Gibson. There do exist good ones out there, but the quality control of Gibsons is infamous for being inexcusably poor and sadly it's been that way for a long time now. Some are just flat out JUNK, and I'm not talking about the cheap ones either.

You have lots of good MIJ options for your budget that offer much nicer features and far more consistent levels of craftsmanship. 
FGN, Edwards, Tokai, Greco and Burny (just to name a few) offer guitars at that budget that blow similarly priced Gibsons out of the water.

I understand what your saying but I'm in the uk not sure if I can get those  guitars over here , I was disappointed in the ESP ltd range couldn't find one with 22 frets  in the stores they only had  24 frets ,  
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Jul 4, 2017,
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get out there & try them.  Try everything else in the store as well, you might surprise yourself.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

hi! from you list I would not buy I guitar off ebay and the esp100tctm is discontinued which is a shame as I like ESP they just don't make enough 22fret guitars , But I was looking at the fgn neo as thomann seems very reputable online, 
I would be worried with FNG resale value if I ever needed to sell it   and also I know nothing about them  ,  What would the FNG classic ls20 compare to with Gibson?
I'll just briefly chime in and say from what I have seen the FGN holds there value pretty well. Then again you shouldn't be buying a guitar brand new and expecting it to hold its value for exactly what you paid for it, which is why the used market is so strong. The guitars that TOODEEP threw out are very solid choices if you can get past the "wanting" a Gibson idea. If you really want a Gibson then you know yourself better than we know you and we can suggest a plethora of guitars that are amazing but if the headstock is an issue then nothing we mention will work.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
bobafettacheese Without disagreeing, the trouble with this argument is always a question of whether someone wants the best guitar possible, or whether they want the guitar they've always dreamed of owning.

If it's the latter, no matter how good any other guitar they buy is, they'll never be satisfied until that dream comes true.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by dazzzer30
hi! from you list I would not buy I guitar off ebay and the esp100tctm is discontinued which is a shame as I like ESP they just don't make enough 22fret guitars , But I was looking at the fgn neo as thomann seems very reputable online, 
I would be worried with FNG resale value if I ever needed to sell it   and also I know nothing about them  ,  What would the FNG classic ls20 compare to with Gibson?

It's a shame you're not willing to buy anything from ebay; it opens you up to a lot of very interesting options. Out of all the guitars I've linked, you can't really go wrong with any of them. The sellers on both ebay listings have good feedback ratings too. I think discounting guitars just because they're on ebay would be a mistake, but it's your call.

FGN's seem to hold their resale value quite well, from the very small number that are selling second hand. Which is a bit surprising given the FGN brand is only really known by those in the know about presently made MIJ LP's, which is a relatively niche market. The biggest reason the FGN's are such a great value is because you aren't paying a premium for a well-recognized brand name like you would with Gibson or ESP. 

But in any case, buying a new guitar in the hope it retains value is a fool's errand. Any guitar is going to lose a big chunk of it's value the moment it arrives to your front door.The intention if you're buying the guitar new is that you hope to be never put in the situation that you'll ever need to resell it in the first place.

As for all those guitars listed being objectively superior to whatever Gibson puts out for similar money (or significantly more), I wouldn't be suggesting them as alternatives if they weren't.

As others have suggested, if the name is more important than getting the best guitar for your money possible, then get a Gibson. But as someone who has worn the t-shirt (I own a Gibbo Flying V '68 and I've played countless other Gibbos), I'm not wowed by the name anymore. In fact these days anything that does have the Gibbo name I tend to avoid, because for the same money you can pretty much always find better alternative from other brands.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by dazzzer30
I understand what your saying but I'm in the uk not sure if I can get those  guitars over here , I was disappointed in the ESP ltd range couldn't find one with 22 frets  in the stores they only had  24 frets ,  

Can't you just cut off the offending two frets with a Dremel?
Why don't you like 24 frets, again?
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 5, 2017,
Quote by bobafettacheese
I'll just briefly chime in and say from what I have seen the FGN holds there value pretty well. Then again you shouldn't be buying a guitar brand new and expecting it to hold its value for exactly what you paid for it, which is why the used market is so strong. The guitars that TOODEEP threw out are very solid choices if you can get past the "wanting" a Gibson idea. If you really want a Gibson then you know yourself better than we know you and we can suggest a plethora of guitars that are amazing but if the headstock is an issue then nothing we mention will work.

Mmm.. Especially if it's an itch for a Gibby' HP model which has some specific spec's going for it. Wide board, Zero nut, G-force, dip switched electronics, etc.
Quote by dspellman
Can't you just cut off the offending two frets with a Dremel?
Why don't you like 24 frets, again?

ha! nothing against 24 frets but I have other guitars with 22 frets and I tried a 24 fret and I couldn't get use to them ,some how it seemed to put me off more when soloing . 
Quote by dazzzer30
ha! nothing against 24 frets but I have other guitars with 22 frets and I tried a 24 fret and I couldn't get use to them ,some how it seemed to put me off more when soloing . 

I think it depends on the guitar more than the number of frets. Those extra frets shouldn't even be noticed, for the most part. Unless you're using that last fret for visual reference.

For example, SGs are available in 22, 23 and 24-fret versions. Nothing about the guitar changes except that the space between where the 22nd fret is and the neck pickup is fills in with a couple of frets. If you go from a Les Paul to a superstrat with 24 frets, the real difference is in where the neck falls in relation to how the guitar hangs in the strap and in where it sits on your knee. It forces you to move your arm and hand to a different location in space to find the same fret as on your usual guitar.

I have a couple of 24-fret LP-alikes. In this case, they've actually extended the neck, and then moved the bridge and bridge pickup closer to the neck pickup by that same amount to preserve the scale length. It's not that I need those extra two frets, but those changes in construction have actually made it much easier and more comfortable to get to the 22nd fret that I *do* need. My personal experience is that over time you get used to those differences and it takes you almost no time to adjust.